Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
Ok, I was all set to get a MBP, but after thinking about it, maybe i'll do ok with just the Macbook.

I want to do some animation (iMotion), make some home videos, webpage editing etc. Will the Macbook be powerful enough to do that? I just got a new Dell for my gaming (see sig) so I dont need to game on my notebook at all. Will the Macbook be able to take full advantage of Leopard and the iStuff?

With me EDU discount this is the difference.

Black Macbook ($1582)
Base MPB ($2128)

Is it worth the $546.00 for:
13" to 15"(LED)
250GB HD to 200GB 7.2k HD
Integrated graphics to 8600mGT (256Mb)
Multitouch (forgot)
***This will be my first Mac and notebook, so i'm unsure of the purchase.

TeflonDon

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
I'm in the same boat. I've been on the site waiting for the Penryn update to buy a base MBP. I intend to use it for class and use photoshop, illustrator, indesign, toon boom studio and dreamweaver on it. I don't know if I can justify going from the mid level MB to the base MBP. Does the video card make a huge difference? Thats probably my biggest concern.

GCY

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
NYC
If ur doing anything other then heavy graphic work or editing(Final Cut pro), the MB should be fine. The MBP is aimed at consumers who does heavy graphic, editing, or gaming.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Ok, I was all set to get a MBP, but after thinking about it, maybe i'll do ok with just the Macbook.

I want to do some animation (iMotion), make some home videos, webpage editing etc. Will the Macbook be powerful enough to do that? I just got a new Dell for my gaming (see sig) so I dont need to game on my notebook at all. Will the Macbook be able to take full advantage of Leopard and the iStuff?

Black Macbook ($1582)
Base MPB ($2128)

13" to 15"(LED)
Multitouch (forgot)

MBP

I had trouble comprehending it at first, then i realized. :p

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
Same exact thing for me...i think im going with a blackbook

unless your job is to process really hi-res images, it shouldnt be a huge problem...if you ever need to do that, your school or company should have a machine available to use

plus with the extra money you can get a cinema display, which is more essential than the card IMO

mechler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I'm right there with you...

Yep, that blackbook is pretty tempting. The LED screen does look nice on the MBPs, though. Having a backlit keyboard might be nice, too, but it seems that people like the quality of the MB keyboard better. I'm going to run Windows XP with VMware Fusion, so the dedicated graphics card might help with that?? I know it would definitely help when I re-encode DVDs and make home movies.

This whole thing is making me look at iMacs again. I love the portability of a laptop, but my ipod touch takes care of most of that. With an iMac, you get the power of a MBP for the price of a MB.

Who knows...I thought the MBP update was supposed to make my decision easier!

YELLOWSOUL

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
I got a Macbook instead of Macbook Pro I think it is a good idea 2, because your getting 2MB cache standard and you can upgrade to 4GB if you do more heavier work...:rolleyes:

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Comparison Spreadsheet

I was thinking about this too, and made a spreadsheet comparing the various options. Especially looking at whether the refurb sales were worth it. It includes 4 GB ram upgrade option.

It's tab-delimited text file here. Maybe it will be helpful for some...

:D

For me, I decided that the refurbs were not that much of a difference (except for the MBP). I may wait and go with the low-end MB but with 4GB ram upgrade. Or, may spring for the MBP... we'll see.

Attachments

• MacbookCompare.txt
    806 bytes · Views: 206

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada

Black Macbook ($1582)
Base MPB ($2128)

13" to 15"(LED)
Multitouch (forgot)

You forgot the most important thing with the pro you won't have the crack prone casing

nl2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
I was set on a MBP for the past few months.

I'm going to get the Blackbook now...no discussion.

I have a iBook G4, and I love it, but it's time to move on. Life wouldn't have been much different with a PowerBook G4 for me, so the differences between a Blackbook and a MBP can't be that much.

crazyskillz07

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Also with the money you save on the macbook you can buy a nice external display for it. I am going to buy a NEC 2490UXi-SV before I go to school.

EmbeddedTim

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Rochester, NY
Hello everybody!

Long time lurch, first time poster.
Well - the wait is over and its time to buy. Time to hand off my iBookG4 to my fiance and buy a new computer. I will miss my trusty old companion but I am elated that it will remain close (I hope jealousy does not ensue).

I too am dealing with this quandary. To buy the 15' MBP or the midrange MB - ah, what a question it is!

It's such a large price difference for the exact same processor, FSB, and memory. I see no speed advantage (without regards to graphics - not a big deal for me) favoring the MBP over the MB.

I am not aged yet, however I do feel that I would enjoy a tad larger screen than the 13.3 offered in the MB lineup. Any thoughts on if the 15.4in screen AND LED backlighting (again, for me graphics card is not important) really accounts for such a drastic difference?

The 40GB of HDD extra on the MBP also seems insignificant - external HDD space is so cheap now-a-days.

I would have liked to post this in the MBP forum, but I think I'd get pig-piled worse than 1986's "Lucas". Any MBP owners care to share why they opted for the base MBP over the midrange MB offering?

Thanks - and hello again!

Chitoneus

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Chicago
Sigh... I'm facing the same dilemma. I was ready to buy a baseline MacBook Pro this morning, but it appears to be pretty much the same machine as the cheaper yet sexy BlackBook, apart from the GPU.

The most intensive thing I expect to do on my notebook is edit RAW photos using CS3. I've asked and lurked around in forums, and people pretty consistently say that the lack of a dedicated graphics card will not affect it.

So them I an left to ponder things like:
- Should I go with the matte screen, which seems to be the preference for photo editing and graphics design?
- Is LED backlighting going to make a noticeable difference with anything I do?
- I think the multi-touch track-pad is kinda neat.
- I like the keyboard on the MacBook.

Like Mechler said, I thought the MBP update was supposed to make this decision easier. :mad:

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
Sigh... I'm facing the same dilemma. I was ready to buy a baseline MacBook Pro this morning, but it appears to be pretty much the same machine as the cheaper yet sexy BlackBook, apart from the GPU.

The most intensive thing I expect to do on my notebook is edit RAW photos using CS3. I've asked and lurked around in forums, and people pretty consistently say that the lack of a dedicated graphics card will not affect it.

So them I an left to ponder things like:
- Should I go with the matte screen, which seems to be the preference for photo editing and graphics design?
- Is LED backlighting going to make a noticeable difference with anything I do?
- I think the multi-touch track-pad is kinda neat.
- I like the keyboard on the MacBook.

Like Mechler said, I thought the MBP update was supposed to make this decision easier. :mad:

- matte is not an option on the macbook, but is typically preferred for design work
- if you are serious enough about graphics work that LED backlighting is a decision factor, you should really not be working on a notebook screen and just get a cinema display
- agreed, wish they put in the mb
- again agreed

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Hello everybody!

(...)I am not aged yet, however I do feel that I would enjoy a tad larger screen than the 13.3 offered in the MB lineup. Any thoughts on if the 15.4in screen AND LED backlighting (again, for me graphics card is not important) really accounts for such a drastic difference? (...)
Thanks - and hello again!

First of all, welcome to MacRumors!

Second, its always good to have a bigger screen, I hook my MB to a 22-incher and every morning at school when Im using the native display I found it to be so tiny ejeje Also you might want to think in the future, a good GPU will ensure you that your computer can handle future tasks that will probably be GPU intensive, and hey a good game every now and then is nice on a computer :D If you really can afford it then go for it, you will get a 'snappier' (RAM) machine and a nicer screen MBP for the win. I really had no choice, my dad said "1500$ or less" and here I am 99% happy with my BlackBook (the 1% is the GPU and speakers) but if he said pick one... I'll be typing on a 17" incher hehe Remember that the MB has no backlit keyboard (although physically is nicer) and you loose Multi-Touch. In the end it will all make sense.

Victor

EmbeddedTim

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Rochester, NY
i actually chose this path!
i think this is a good deal

I'm actually not too worried about money (and would prefer to go 'new').

I am interested in the 45nm die and SSE4 which is another reason I'm not planning on going refurb.

Again- looking for user input from people that have owned both and can say which 'book they've found to be 'better' and would recommend.

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
First of all, welcome to MacRumors!

Second, its always good to have a bigger screen, I hook my MB to a 22-incher and every morning at school when Im using the native display I found it to be so tiny ejeje Also you might want to think in the future, a good GPU will ensure you that your computer can handle future tasks that will probably be GPU intensive, and hey a good game every now and then is nice on a computer :D If you really can afford it then go for it, you will get a 'snappier' (RAM) machine and a nicer screen. I really had no choice, my dad said "1500$ or less" and here I am 99% happy with my BlackBook (the 1% is the GPU and speakers) but if he said pick one... I'll be typing on a 17" incher hehe Remember that the MB has no backlit keyboard (although physically is nicer) and you loose Multi-Touch. In the end it will all make sense.

Victor

I can't believe what i'm hearing here. The macbook pro is 100x's the quality of the macbook. After two years a macbook is going to be looking droopy eared if it's working at all vs a pro that will likely be in perfect working condition if it's been looked after. The difference is cost is clearly seen in build quality.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
I can't believe what i'm hearing here. The macbook pro is 100x's the quality of the macbook. After two years a macbook is going to be looking droopy eared if it's working at all vs a pro that will likely be in perfect working condition if it's been looked after. The difference is cost is clearly seen in build quality.

Huh?? In what can't you believe you heard? I did told him to go for the MBP that in the long run it would be better. Your partially right in the build quality, never the less I did not mention anything about that in my post... you're high on mescaline bro :p

Victor

EmbeddedTim

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Rochester, NY

Build quality is one thing I have not considered.

List of the things I could care less about:
Graphics card (Xcode/safari/mail doesn't really require anything spiffy)
Multi-touch (I plug a mouse in)
+40GB more HDD
Extra I/O that MBP provides over MB
keyboard type

List of things I do care about:
15.4in screen
LED backlight (don't know enough about it to be highly concerned)
Build quality/sustainability

Can anyone attest to the difference in build quality?

From my lists, I'm sure you can tell that I'm looking for a strong CPU/MEM combination found in a portable.

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
Huh?? In what can't you believe you heard? I did told him to go for the MBP that in the long run it would be better. Your partially right in the build quality, never the less I did not mention anything about that in my post... you're high on mescaline bro :p

Victor

Sorry, you weren't the person I meant to quote there.

mechler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Tim,

Regarding the LED screen - I went to look at a Macbook a few weeks ago and I was completely distracted by the bright and vivid (matte!) screen on the 15in MBP. It looked great - enough so that I started thinking about paying the premium for the MBP. Besides being brighter, the LED screens are also lighter and more efficient than the standard screens.

Another big draw for me is that the 15in MBP is only like half a pound heavier than the 13in MB. That's a negligible weight difference, in my opinion.

On the other hand, the MBP screen only tilts back like 110 degrees (closed being 0 degrees). Unless that changed today (I doubt it), that's a big nuisance and a lot of people have complained about it.

As far as build quality, I've seen a lot of complaints about how easily the aluminum dents on the MBPs. But I guess that would be better than a cracking MB case (although, that problem may have been fixed). I've also heard that the aluminum cases can interfere with wireless reception. Don't know if it's true or not, but I am curious.

If money isn't a big issue, I'd say go for the MBP. It's better to have more machine than you need versus the other way around. Plus, besides the screen tilt thing and cost, I don't think there's a downside of having a MBP vs. a MB. In fact, I think I saw today that the battery life is better on the 15in MBPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.