Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
Hey everyone,

I am trying to videoconference with a friend Macbook to Macbook Pro and the connection wont go through. We keep getting this error "There was a Communication Error During your Chat" and an option to send it to Apple.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know what it might be?

Thanks!

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
never researched the problem but me and my friend, both with PPC processor never have a problem. However, both us have a problem connecting to a friend with a Intel. I always just left it at that.(being that the intel had a slight bump somewhere). I have encountered similar expeirences with other intel users.

Having both users restart iChat generally works, but not always.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I've never tried any video conferencing at all... but I've read that Skype can be a free and more reliable alternative to iChat.

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
This is a screen shot of the error message that I get

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    63 KB · Views: 51

Jedsh03

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Com Errors, Bandwidth and Ports, Oh my.

This is a screen shot of the error message that I get

I get this same error message every time I try to video chat. Mine appears to have something to do with bandwidth issues, but I'm not sure I know how to fix them. I keep hearing of "port issues" in correlation with routers (which I'm also using) but of the 11 ports available to choose from, how do you know what works, and works well?

Cheers.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I keep hearing of "port issues" in correlation with routers (which I'm also using) but of the 11 ports available to choose from, how do you know what works, and works well?
there's 65535 ports, and iChat conferencing only uses a certain range if i remember correctly. doubtful that may be the problem, but see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208 for more info.

As for port forwarding on your router, check portforward.com for instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.