Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
I just got an email to test drive iOS 9. I'm not a developer but I joined iOS 8 public beta. Maybe that's why they sent me. Or is it already iOS 9 public beta?

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Interesting. Can you post a screenshot of the email or its content? Just curious.
aa45ad029473222657082e9349099069.jpg

Sorry I cant fit the whole email in screen.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like this is AppleSeed, which is somewhat different than Developer Program and Public Beta--sort of in-between the two in a sense.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
What email address is it from?
From seedios at apple.com

I am in os x developer seed program because they included me while I was helping them fix os x bug by testing, etc a while ago. I'm in public beta for iOS though. I submitted feedback and bug reports for both iOS 8.3 and 8.4 while I was running those.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
Nice. Wondering if people who participated in iOS 8 public beta are invited or otherwise how we are chosen.

I would think that any public beta testers on iOS 8 should be able to do iOS 9, as long as they keep the beta profile installed.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I just got an email to test drive iOS 9. I'm not a developer but I joined iOS 8 public beta. Maybe that's why they sent me. Or is it already iOS 9 public beta?
Can you actually install the software though? I've got the Public Beta profile installed alongside 8.4, but no download is available.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
How are we supposed to become eligible if we don't have a beta to submit bugs for and help out? We apparently have to have a Mac to test OS X beta on and submit bugs for that? Why are people who are already in the iOS public beta program being invited? Aren't they going to invite new people?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
How are we supposed to become eligible if we don't have a beta to submit bugs for and help out? We apparently have to have a Mac to test OS X beta on and submit bugs for that? Why are people who are already in the iOS public beta program being invited? Aren't they going to invite new people?

I think these invites are a bit premature...Apple said the program would open in July. It's possible people who tested 8.4, 8.3, and the 10.10.x updates are being slowly invited to 9.0 and when the public beta officially begins, the people who sign up at beta.apple.com will be invited as well.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I think these invites are a bit premature...Apple said the program would open in July. It's possible people who tested 8.4, 8.3, and the 10.10.x updates are being slowly invited to 9.0 and when the public beta officially begins, the people who sign up at beta.apple.com will be invited as well.

I don't think we'll see a wide release of iOS public betas. I think apple used the OS X betas to see who actually contributes. A wide release would be a disaster for App Store reviews. Limiting it to people who likely know not to blame a dev for their app not working is the best solution.

Reactions: theonekcrow

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I don't think we'll see a wide release of iOS public betas. I think apple used the OS X betas to see who actually contributes. A wide release would be a disaster for App Store reviews. Limiting it to people who likely know not to blame a dev for their app not working is the best solution.

Apple specifically announced that it would be a public beta and they're allowing people to sign up for it at beta.apple.com just like with Yosemite. I'm fairly certain we'll see a release similar to that of Yosemite which was to a million users who signed up I believe.

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
ccadc533b0b0edd3a9d5539ecda6244d.jpg

Reactions: EthanLMT

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Okay I have been "signed up" ever since public beta 8.3 was a thing. Is there anything further I have to do in order to be invited or am I already in the "queue?"

I know I seem desperate, but I really am interested in being involved in the testing process, helping submit bugs and feedback, and for my own sake I want to be able to use the GM and have more time to decide whether I want to stay with iOS 9 or switch back to iOS 8. Just a little frustrating watching this be a "luck of the draw" sort of thing.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Apple specifically announced that it would be a public beta and they're allowing people to sign up for it at beta.apple.com just like with Yosemite. I'm fairly certain we'll see a release similar to that of Yosemite which was to a million users who signed up I believe.

I'm saying that I don't think there will be a WIDE release. Yes I know there's going to be a public beta. But it will be selective like it was for iOS 8 dot updates, for the reasons I made before.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
As far as I'm concerned there isn't a person alive that has access to the public beta yet, because it doesn't exist. They said July, meaning the build isn't even ready yet else it would've landed already.

There isn't a single mention anywhere online besides this thread and a buried subreddit of anyone actually being able to download the public beta yet.

Notice how my question of whether the op can actually download the build yet went unanswered too.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
As far as I'm concerned there isn't a person alive that has access to the public beta yet, because it doesn't exist. They said July, meaning the build isn't even ready yet else it would've landed already.

There isn't a single mention anywhere online besides this thread and a buried subreddit of anyone actually being able to download the public beta yet.

Notice how my question of whether the op can actually download the build yet went unanswered too.

Well, I’ve decided not to install it. I saw youtube videos of iOS 9 beta, and it seems too laggy. I only have an iPhone 5C. No iPhone 6 or 5s. I am also invided for El Capitan because I’m in the developer seed program, but I’m not going to install any beta anymore from Apple. Too much trouble on my personal devices. Maybe in beta 4 or 5, I will think about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.