Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
Hate is a very strong emotion to feel about a gadget. #firstWorldProblems

Really? That's the best you could come up with? The thread title uses hate, I used hate. Get over it. Oh, and btw... #firstworldproblems is #sooverused

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't really see how you can hate it.

As I said long ago, after we 1st saw it, I seriously think Apple tried their best to UN-DESIGN it as much as possible.

Taking all aspects of any watch that someone may not like, removing them, and being left with the least offensive, I could say dullest, shape imaginable.

A rectangle with rounded corners.

It's like trying to make a car that no one can hate, but no one can love either by taking all the design, shape, curves, twists, etc etc away from it and just being left with a nondescript shape.

I don't think that's a bad thing or a silly thing.

We all know there are probably millions of designs of watches out there, that have been made over decades, and you are trying to launch ONE watch that everyone many consider.

And yes, it's is just ONE watch, no matter what Apple say about millions of variations.

You can't really give it a specific style, as if you do, perhaps 1/4 of people will adore it and 3/4 will hate it.

For a normal watchmaker this does not matter as you CAN use style and design as you sell a wide range of watches, so the fact that 3/4 of people hate one watch, matters not as there is a good chance they will love one of your other designs.

So, what else could Apple sensibly do, but what they did do?
Design the design out of it, and be left with something nondescript and inoffensive to everyone.

I don't blame them, really there was nothing else they could do right now with just one watch, perhaps in time, IF it turns out to be a wide success they may branch into other designs to appeal more directly to other tastes, I mean it's going to be a bit sick if all you see if the same watch everywhere from the schoolboy to the footballer stepping off his private jet to the local storekeeper to the city judge.

They need to play it safe for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.