anyone else have a totally wack internet connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Terzin1, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Terzin1 macrumors newbie

hey guys. i have a problem with my wireless connection. we have a router in our house and, while connected to it, get like like a 75% signal with airport extreme but the internet is so slooooooowwwwww. I have a neighbors signal i can connect to but its weak. like less than 25% signal, yet the internet is so much quicker. what could be the problem?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Do you have the same type of DSL/Cable access?

3. Terzin1 thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean by that. what i have is a powerbook 15 inch and we have a D-Link router

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Right, but the speed of your Internet is determined by the type of access you have to your house...that's almost always the limiting factor. If your neighbors are on 10 Mbps cable while you're on 512 kbps DSL, their connection will be faster than yours...about 20 times faster.

The networking equipment within your house (router/gateway and computer wireless cards) will almost certainly be faster than your connection to the outside world, so they're not the limiting factor.

Unless you know what type of connections are involved, any comparison will be fruitless.