Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terzin1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
hey guys. i have a problem with my wireless connection. we have a router in our house and, while connected to it, get like like a 75% signal with airport extreme but the internet is so slooooooowwwwww. I have a neighbors signal i can connect to but its weak. like less than 25% signal, yet the internet is so much quicker. what could be the problem?

Terzin1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
what do you mean by that. what i have is a powerbook 15 inch and we have a D-Link router

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Right, but the speed of your Internet is determined by the type of access you have to your house...that's almost always the limiting factor. If your neighbors are on 10 Mbps cable while you're on 512 kbps DSL, their connection will be faster than yours...about 20 times faster.

The networking equipment within your house (router/gateway and computer wireless cards) will almost certainly be faster than your connection to the outside world, so they're not the limiting factor.

Unless you know what type of connections are involved, any comparison will be fruitless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.