Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Don't stand completely still, walk around a bit and move your arms. It'll recognize then and it's good for your health, too.

Bishop Universe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks for the advice, Rok73. Unfortunately there are times it seems even when I walk away from my desk, get in my cabinets to get snack food, and prepare a snack, I still see it shows as not standing. I'm a bit baffled.

If I'm supposed to walk around, shouldn't it say "move" instead of "stand"?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the advice, Rok73. Unfortunately there are times it seems even when I walk away from my desk, get in my cabinets to get snack food, and prepare a snack, I still see it shows as not standing. I'm a bit baffled.

I agree that the feature is better named "move" than "stand." Also, I've been able to get it to register that I "stood" by waving my arms around while sitting. Not sure why it's not registering your movements as "standing" -- getting up to go get a snack almost always works for me to get stand credit.

CellXor10

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Connecticut, USA

I've felt that they sort of messed up what they decided to name the three activity rings. To me, I agree that the "Stand" rings should be called "Move" and then the "Move" ring could be something else like "Burn" or I don't know, I feel like I had a good idea for this one a while back but drawing a blank. The important one is the former, as "Stand" really means you have to move around for one minute of time in order to gain the hour.

So, you could potentially not be getting the credit in your given example because it isn't a fluent minute of movement (though there is definitely some wiggle room for the fluidity from my experience). You may, perhaps, be walking for 20 seconds, standing whilst preparing your snack, and walking 20 seconds back to your seat, and still not getting credit since you were inactive for the period of preparing your snack.

Edit: I wanted to add, that might not always be the case- depending on how you might move and how the watch interprets your movement while making the snack could register as still being active, and you then get credit- but that would be my guess for why you see that happening

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I think Apple assumes that you are going to walk when you stand up. All I have to do is walk around for just a few minutes after the warning and I get a confirmation that I have completed that hour.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So, you could potentially not be getting the credit in your given example because it isn't a fluent minute of movement (though there is definitely some wiggle room for the fluidity from my experience). You may, perhaps, be walking for 20 seconds, standing whilst preparing your snack, and walking 20 seconds back to your seat, and still not getting credit since you were inactive for the period of preparing your snack.

No, you don't have to move continuously for a minute. So in that example, you have moved for a total of 40 seconds, and you'd only have to move for another 20 seconds to get stand credit for that hour.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
My husband is now amused when he randomly sees me get up and walk a brisk two laps around the kitchen. He knows what I'm doing haha :D

I fill the other two rings by the time my morning workout is done, but the stand ring has been good for me at work -- forces me to get up and move around. I tend to sit and fixate for hours when I'm buried in the code.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I think it has to do with your arm position. It seems to give you the credit more easily when your arms are at your side. When your arms are above your waist, it doesn't seem to pick it up as easily.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
It's funny when it does or doesn't give the credit. When I do it before the alert goes off, it seems less likely to give credit than when I wait for the alert.

jannette

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Bishop's Stortford
I think it has to do with your arm position. It seems to give you the credit more easily when your arms are at your side. When your arms are above your waist, it doesn't seem to pick it up as easily.
I am a knitter..I get the stand up notification..I do not always get up if I am knitting but I still get the credit! And my hands are about waist level.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
https://twitter.com/BishopUniverse/status/618769402801074176

I find it odd that I'm standing, walking around even, and I get a notification from my watch to stand. Is there something I am doing wrong? I have a sit stand desk, stand most of the day, and even move around quite a bit and yet many hours it doesn't even log the one minute it takes to mark that hour as a stand hour.

I took some time experimenting to see how the watch gives credit and I've found that movement really isn't as important as others say. It has to do with which direction the watch is facing. You need to make sure that the crown is facing the floor, which even if you're at a standing desk, usually doesn't happen.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I have noticed that for the stand hour to register you have to move continuously for a minute but if you stop for too long the timer will reset. So if you for example move for 30s, stay still 30s and move another 30s you probably won't be given the stand hour.

If you want to cheat a little here's a way how to get the stand hour without really doing anything: Just rotate your wrist back and forth for 60s. If you are super lazy you can just roll your arm on your desk. Works every time. The watch just has to register any kind of movement for 60s without too long breaks in between.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you have not been standing for over an hour you NEED to get up. Sitting for long periods of time is as bad a smoking a cigarette form what I have read. Instead of trying to figure out ways around standing up, try standing up and moving around for a few minutes. It will not hurt!

Reactions: Saturn007

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you have not been standing for over an hour you NEED to get up. Sitting for long periods of time is as bad a smoking a cigarette form what I have read. Instead of trying to figure out ways around standing up, try standing up and moving around for a few minutes. It will not hurt!

Well, OP was standing up and moving around, but for some reason, it wasn't registering.

Then there are times where you just can't get up, but you don't want to miss that hour because you want to close that circle. I think knowing how to cheat for those instances wouldn't necessarily mean that you lose sight of the primary purpose of this system, which, as you point out, is to get you to stand and move more frequently because it's good for your health.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, OP was standing up and moving around, but for some reason, it wasn't registering.

Then there are times where you just can't get up, but you don't want to miss that hour because you want to close that circle. I think knowing how to cheat for those instances wouldn't necessarily mean that you lose sight of the primary purpose of this system, which, as you point out, is to get you to stand and move more frequently because it's good for your health.

I miss an hour on occasion due to a meeting, etc. But as of now I have 11 of my 12 hours and will end up with 14-15 of 12 hours on average. It is the 14 flights of stairs that kills my knee!:eek:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I miss an hour on occasion due to a meeting, etc. But as of now I have 11 of my 12 hours and will end up with 14-15 of 12 hours on average. It is the 14 flights of stairs that kills my knee!:eek:

14 flights? Why?

And yes, on normal days I easily get the 12 hours standing, even if I miss an hour here or there. But some days I'm lazy and don't get up until nearly noon -- then oops, every hour is crucial! :p

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
14 flights? Why?

And yes, on normal days I easily get the 12 hours standing, even if I miss an hour here or there. But some days I'm lazy and don't get up until nearly noon -- then oops, every hour is crucial! :p

It is a demand of my work. My company works in the Apartment Industry and stairs are part of the job as few have elevators. You big city folks do not know!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It is a demand of my work. My company works in the Apartment Industry and stairs are part of the job as few have elevators. You big city folks do not know!

Ah, yes. I'm currently staying in an apartment on the top floor of a six-floor building, and it gets great sunlight. I was tempted to move there permanently, until the elevator stopped working. It was fixed in a day, but it seems to stop working every now and then. So I'll be moving back to my first floor apartment when it's ready. ;)

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
I just lost another hour of credit (lost 2 earlier in the day) because I walked around a lot earlier in the hour, then sat down to work. I got no reminder but also no stand credit. Hopefully the next update will fix whatever is up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.