Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
It was working yesterday and I can't think of anything that has changed. I'm using Tiger mail with a few POP email providers. Whenever I go to send mail it has trouble with the smtp server thing (sorry).

It gets incoming mail just fine off the POP provider. It's the outgoing it has trouble with. I tried turning off firewall. Nothing. Tried a different POP service thinking it might be the provider, and it said the same thing with that smtp as well (see attached pic).

So it's not the email provider. Incoming is fine. And yes I spelled the "smtp.comcast.net" correctly in the outgoing box under Mail prefs. What else?

Attachments

• Mail Pic.jpg
    Mail Pic.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 109

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
mcarnes said:
It was working yesterday and I can't think of anything that has changed. I'm using Tiger mail with a few POP email providers. Whenever I go to send mail it has trouble with the smtp server thing (sorry).

It gets incoming mail just fine off the POP provider. It's the outgoing it has trouble with. I tried turning off firewall. Nothing. Tried a different POP service thinking it might be the provider, and it said the same thing with that smtp as well (see attached pic).

So it's not the email provider. Incoming is fine. And yes I spelled the "smtp.comcast.net" correctly in the outgoing box under Mail prefs. What else?
Are you outside Comcast's network? Some ISPs won't let you send email through their server if you're not running from within their network.

Also, some do, but require you to set up SMTP authentication.

I don't know what the case is with Comcast, though.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
No, it was working at home just fine yesterday. Still at home. The only thing I did this morning was iSync my cell phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.