Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Currently have cellular+wi-fi version and would like to get another cellular but it's such a bump in price and am buying myself this time that I'll likely choose storage over cellular if a compromise is required. Am likely upgrading from iPhone 14 Pro Max to 16 PM this year so would rather keep the iPad spend a bit lower.

If you’re not in a hurry, you might also want to consider waiting for clearance deals on M1 or M2 iPad Pro.

I remember Woot selling brand new M1 11” 1TB cellular for less than $900.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I made that jump (or fall?) last month. I had a 2017 10.5” iPad Pro that I brought to meetings but, nowadays, I work remotely so I’m always in front of my desktop Mac and my iPP became more of an entertainment and social media device when I’m in the backyard on weekends. The battery was not holding charge as well as it used to and I heard that the new iPads were coming so I traded for a Best Buy gift card while it still had a decent trade-in price. After looking at what I’m using an iPad for, I decided that the current 5th Gen iPad Air meets my needs so I went for it. I figure it will be supported for another 5-6 years and I save at least $250 vice getting the imminent shiny new iPad Pro/Air
Me too same model :)

Reactions: dborja

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Not Pro to Air, but maybe Pro to Mini, depending on the new specs.

I'd like to see an M series processor and 512GB storage. I think those are realistic expectations. Facetime would be nice too, but unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: muzzy996

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
So new iPads are imminent.
I am still usinga 2018 iPad Pro which is now a bit long in the tooth and sluggish. It’s time to upgrade. However as a MacBook Pro user , Apple have done nothing in that time to convince me that the iPad Pro can be used as a serious computer nor worth the premium. Therefore when the new models are announced I’ll be opting for an Air.
Anyone else in the same boat, or think otherwise? What are your thoughts?
Why is it sluggish? backup your stuff and reset it. done.
I imagine you're just convincing yourself there are reasons to upgrade. When in reality there are not, other than wanting a new thing. Your old ipad does everything just as well as a new one will.
Especially b/c it's the OS holding back ipad capability, not the hardware.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Front-facing camera placement. This is a huge deal for me since I take a lot of Teams calls, and I hate it when my eyes are off-centre. Even got called out for it in a job interview once. Seems the Pro will be getting the landscape camera, but renders of the Air showed that it wouldn't. If that holds true, it would turn me off the Air big-time.
I wouldn't put it past Apple to do anything. But if the Air doesn't get a landscape camera while both the Pro and base iPads have it, it would be very strange indeed.

Reactions: nj-morris

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018

I'd like to see an M series processor and 512GB storage. I think those are realistic expectations. Facetime would be nice too, but unlikely.
Same, would like a better screen on the mini and more RAM. I probably wouldn't upgrade my gen 2 iPP 12.9, I just don't have the need for a large pro anymore.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon

That will be great upgrades for the Mini, but even if they’ll keep using the latest A chip versions, increase the RAM to 8GB, the storage to 128GB/512GB, while keeping TouchID and the camera in same position, that would be enough reasons to consider upgrading from the correct Mini 6.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
My problem is that I am very susceptible to certain visual defects in displays and while the Pro models don’t cure them they are noticeably superior to the non-Pro displays. And as much as I dislike miniLED (the MBPro is the only example I’ve ever seen/used that is excellent) the 12.9” iPP is superior to the 11” in my experience as well. Even if I blooming hate that…

As long as the Pro models have noticeably superior displays to the others they will get my money. Too bad; I really prefer the Air approach otherwise (maybe if the Air actually was substantially lighter…)

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
I really prefer the Air approach otherwise (maybe if the Air actually was substantially lighter…)
Same here. Maybe the Air should live up to its name again as the lightest version. Instead, it’s the Pro that we’re hearing about in terms of weight savings. How… Apple.

Reactions: snipr125 and leifp

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Same, would like a better screen on the mini and more RAM. I probably wouldn't upgrade my gen 2 iPP 12.9, I just don't have the need for a large pro anymore.

8GB, up from 4GB , is also realistic. I think the rumors already said the screen will be re-oriented to reduce jelly.

Reactions: muzzy996

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
That will be great upgrades for the Mini, but even if they’ll keep using the latest A chip versions, increase the RAM to 8GB, the storage to 128GB/512GB, while keeping TouchID and the camera in same position, that would be enough reasons to consider upgrading from the correct Mini 6.

Yes, the prcoessor will be interesting. It may be the latest A chip, which would be OK. But I sense they would eventually like M chips in all iPads and A chips for phones, eventually.

Reactions: muzzy996 and geta

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Apple have been promoting it as a computer replacement for ages now
Care to give ONE example?

I knew some successful startups only using iPads already 12 years ago. I don't see why I'd need one myself, but a digital DJ I know use the first iPad Pro. Works great is what I hear.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, the prcoessor will be interesting. It may be the latest A chip, which would be OK. But I sense they would eventually like M chips in all iPads and A chips for phones, eventually.

M chips might be problematic on the iPad mini from both a heat dissipation and battery life standpoint.

What we'll probably see are A Pro chips like the A17 Pro for the iPhone 15 Pro.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Why is it sluggish? backup your stuff and reset it. done.
I imagine you're just convincing yourself there are reasons to upgrade. When in reality there are not, other than wanting a new thing. Your old ipad does everything just as well as a new one will.
Especially b/c it's the OS holding back ipad capability, not the hardware.
Nope I’ve been holding out for ages but the thing is just running way too slow now, particularly when I’m multitasking.

Reactions: leifp

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I went from the 10.5” Pro to the Air 4. Only to go back to the M1 11” Pro and have been very pleased. I would be tempted to move back to Air if Apple would introduce a base 128gb storage instead of 64gb.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
If they have a bigger Air I'd be intrigued. I don't care for the cameras. OLED is whatever. I just want a big screen to read PDFs and browse the web.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
Nope I’ve been holding out for ages but the thing is just running way too slow now, particularly when I’m multitasking.
Multi-tasking has always been terrible on iOS. It clears memory was too frequently.
But hey, I would love it too if they did it better. I would love to use an ipad as my desktop as well, but they make it so needlessly frustrating.

Reactions: sracer and leifp

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I just upgraded from my 2017 iPP to the newest iPad Air. I am trying to get used to not having ProMotion on the screen because it is a slightly different feel, but for what I do with an iPad, which is basically web browsing and watching shows while traveling or on the go, it made no sense to spend an extra $300 (got the iPA at BB this weekend for $449).

It depends on what you do with it. Aside from ProMotion, the iPA is plenty powerful given the limitations iPadOS has.

Reactions: snipr125 and dborja

Misuteri

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2018
I basically view the IPP as a fallback to not wanting to lug around a graphics card laptop. I want to do video work on the go without a plug and need a cellular connection to get it where it needs to go. MacBook can’t do it, PC can’t do it and I’m paying for that capability. Will I use it often? At best monthly. However knowing that it’s there is peace of mind.

I use my tablet more than anything and just love having the best money can buy.

Reactions: leifp

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I just upgraded from my 2017 iPP to the newest iPad Air. I am trying to get used to not having ProMotion on the screen because it is a slightly different feel, but for what I do with an iPad, which is basically web browsing and watching shows while traveling or on the go, it made no sense to spend an extra $300 (got the iPA at BB this weekend for $449).

It depends on what you do with it. Aside from ProMotion, the iPA is plenty powerful given the limitations iPadOS has.
Same here. I did miss ProMotion and the quad speakers but, for what I use an iPad for nowadays similar to yours, I'm good with the 5th Gen iPA. I got a good trade-in and a good price (also $449) with BB as well.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Same here. I did miss ProMotion and the quad speakers but, for what I use an iPad for nowadays similar to yours, I'm good with the 5th Gen iPA. I got a good trade-in and a good price (also $449) with BB as well.
Ah, BB also gave me $100 for my old iPP so I actually got the iPA for $350. I’ll survive without a pro. I don’t see a reason to buy it unless you do thinks like maybe content creation, but even then I’d just use a MacBook over a tablet.

Reactions: Biro and dborja

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Having had an IPP with FaceID I don't think I could go back to TouchID so its gonna be pro or bust (if they're stupid money).
If IPP+Magic Keyboard is £1800 then that's a serious consideration.
Same, I would consider Air if it had Face ID. Probably will upgrade my A12X 11” to a used M1 when the new ones come out.

Reactions: boultonn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.