Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2016mbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
Files (the iOS app) has supported smb since 13.0 if I remember correctly. I remember being excited about it.

Now I need it.

smb://airportextremeipaddress.local

seems right but after about 25 seconds, it times out and I get “There was a problem conbecting to the server”.

iOS 14.3
AirPort Extreme 802.11ac
USB flash drive formatted in HFS+

Disk Sharing is enabled in Disk Utility
and I can connect to the flash drive in Finder in macOS. No luck in iOS using Files.
What can I try?

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
not sure if this is the same, but I can't connect to a NAS using smb and the native files app, but it works fine with an app called 'FE File Explorer Pro'. Both the free and Pro version work for me.

Note: the files app supports smb2 not 1:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250668955

Here's a thread that mentions some other apps as well:

Some other thread with a similar (?) complaint:

2016mbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
Certainly reads like it is the same issue.
I just filed a bug report on apple.com/feedback under iPhone (they do not list Files as one of the apps to leave feedback for specifically).

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
As stated above and in one of the articles, I think this is not a bug but a limitation: AE only supports smb1 whereas the Files app only supports smb2 and up...

My apologies for not being clearer in my first reply, was researching myself while writing the post...

Last edited:

2016mbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
As stated above and in one of the articles, I think this is not a bug but a limitation: AE only supports smb1 whereas the Files app only supports smb2 and up...

My apologies for not being clearer in my first reply, was researching myself while writing the post...

... and the Files app won’t connect to a shared driver shared from a Mac running Catalina either. Should not macOS serve up the drive over SMB3 and Files be able to see it?

Also, any recommended files browser for iOS with SMB1 support?
I looked in the App Store and none seems trust-worthy.

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I use 'FE File Explorer Pro' and it works fine for what I need it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.