Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
If anyone does. Could you possibly install Windows?

If you already have could you let me know if Windows sees all 3GB or just 2GB. Thanks.

BRUUUCE

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Chicago
i have 3gig of ram but it's still in the box right now - waiting for girlfriend to come home. (which should be in 10 minutes). i have not used or looked into bootcamp yet but that will all be done tonight.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
There's no reason why Windows wouldn't recognize it, but then again, as with any Microsoft product, if there's no reason for it to malfunction, you should probably worry about it malfunctioning. ;)

Daniel.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
BurtonCCC said:
There's no reason why Windows wouldn't recognize it, but then again, as with any Microsoft product, if there's no reason for it to malfunction, you should probably worry about it malfunctioning. ;)

Daniel.

I am asking because the Mac Pros arent showing all 3GB in Windows. The only other machine to check this against is the iMac.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
suneohair said:
If anyone does. Could you possibly install Windows?

I'd say that's a bit nervy asking someone to install Windows in their new iMac with 3 GB! NONE of my Macs is EVER going to have Windows installed. Period. Full Stop. If I want to use Windows, I'll fire up my old WIN XP Pro machine, but I am not going to sully my beautiful Macs with it.

That said, no, I don't have a new iMac. Got a new Mac Pro on order but it hasn't arrived yet. I certainly hope that OS X will recognize all the memory it's going to have in it!

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Clix Pix said:
I'd say that's a bit nervy asking someone to install Windows in their new iMac with 3 GB! NONE of my Macs is EVER going to have Windows installed. Period. Full Stop. If I want to use Windows, I'll fire up my old WIN XP Pro machine, but I am not going to sully my beautiful Macs with it.

That said, no, I don't have a new iMac. Got a new Mac Pro on order but it hasn't arrived yet. I certainly hope that OS X will recognize all the memory it's going to have in it!

I dont really care if you have no interest installing Windows. Nor is it "nervy" considering a lot of people here plan on installing Windows anyhow. Plus you can help the community diagnois a problem. So please don't share your thoughts, you were not the intended audience. You really had no point in posting.

OS X recognizes the memory just fine. So no worries.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
I think it's one of a number of firmware related problems with the Mac Pro's and Bootcamp that looks like it's been resolved today with the release of new firmware revision.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
suneohair said:
considering a lot of people here plan on installing Windows anyhow.

That's the key point right there: while a lot of people may be planning on or have already installed Windows on their intel Macs, and that's fine for them, it's a bit different than the way you posed the question, requesting people to install WIN XP on their new machines.... Just a matter of semantics and usage, I suppose. Probably you could have worded your original post a little differently....

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Clix Pix said:
That's the key point right there: while a lot of people may be planning on or have already installed Windows on their intel Macs, and that's fine for them, it's a bit different than the way you posed the question, requesting people to install WIN XP on their new machines.... Just a matter of semantics and usage, I suppose. Probably you could have worded your original post a little differently....

You word it as if Win XP is a virus...

You act like it makes a difference if you install Win XP on a old or new iMac...

I would not consider it nervy asking someone to install XP on their Mac....

X{ is not going to hurt your computer...

And although you do not like it, many people HAVE to use it to run certain programs...

Like Counter-strike source ;)

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
wakerider017 said:
You word it as if Win XP is a virus...

You act like it makes a difference if you install Win XP on a old or new iMac...

I would not consider it nervy asking someone to install XP on their Mac....

X{ is not going to hurt your computer...

And although you do not like it, many people HAVE to use it to run certain programs...

Like Counter-strike source ;)

It can damage your computer. You can get viruses through Windows. Which is why it makes a difference. You just bought a $200 iMac, and paid $750 to get 3 GB in it. Unless necessary, why would you take the risk of getting a virus on it?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Josias said:
It can damage your computer. You can get viruses through Windows. Which is why it makes a difference. You just bought a $200 iMac, and paid $750 to get 3 GB in it. Unless necessary, why would you take the risk of getting a virus on it?

:eek:
LMAO, I hope that is a joke...

Not one word of that makes any sense...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
wakerider017 said:
:eek:
LMAO, I hope that is a joke...

Not one word of that makes any sense...

muahahahahaha!

No. I had a PC just 4 months ago. I got spycrap all the time.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Josias said:
muahahahahaha!

No. I had a PC just 4 months ago. I got spycrap all the time.

Yah, but that does not hurt your mac, or even your OS X installation...

Viruses don't physically hurt your PC...

Windows Xp and OS X are on different partitions... If you get a virus on XP you can just reinstall XP on that partition, It should not affect OS X...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
wakerider017 said:
Yah, but that does not hurt your mac, or even your OS X installation...

Viruses don't physically hurt your PC...

Windows Xp and OS X are on different partitions... If you get a virus on XP you can just reinstall XP on that partition, It should not affect OS X...

i know most viruses don't directly damage the hardware, and that you easily can delete the windows partition bla bla bla...

yet, viruses can damage your hardware. I dunno about you, but I wouldn't take the risk, no matter how small it is, on a $3k machine.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Josias said:
i know most viruses don't directly damage the hardware, and that you easily can delete the windows partition bla bla bla...

yet, viruses can damage your hardware. I dunno about you, but I wouldn't take the risk, no matter how small it is, on a $3k machine.

What Virus have you heard of that damages hardware?

I sure as hell have never heard of any....

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
wakerider017 said:
What Virus have you heard of that damages hardware?

I sure as hell have never heard of any....

I don't know any names, but I know there are viruses who fiddle with your firmware. There are also viruses I believe that cripples the RAM.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Josias said:
I don't know any names, but I know there are viruses who fiddle with your firmware. There are also viruses I believe that cripples the RAM.

Well I have been running PC's for as long as I can remember...

I have never had a virus damage any hardware... And honestly I think it is more of a myth than anything...

Installing XP on your apple will not put it at risk... Plain and Simple

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
wakerider017 said:
Well I have been running PC's for as long as I can remember...

I have never had a virus damage any hardware... And honestly I think it is more of a myth than anything...

Installing XP on your apple will not put it at risk... Plain and Simple

Allright, I surrender:p

BrutX

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
i remember encountering a virus a few (ok, about 8) years back that would flash your BIOS with junk, rendering the computer unusable.

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK
Clix Pix said:
Get off your high horse.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
Ok... to get back on target (I know, kinda a stretch for me... but what the heck...)...

Right from Microsoft, here is the O/S Ram Support List:

Windows NT 4.0: 4 GB
Windows 2000 Professional: 4 GB
Windows 2000 Standard Server: 4 GB
Windows 2000 Advanced Server: 8GB
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server: 32GB
Windows XP Professional: 4 GB
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition: 2 GB
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition: 4 GB
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition: 32 GB
Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition: 64 GB

You can read the entire article here:

Win XP Pro Ram KB

As for a virus damaging your computer, here is an excerpt from alt.comp.virus's main FAQ...

"5) There are no viruses which damage hardware by modifying how the
mechanical parts run or their electro-magnetic characteristics. There
*are* reported instances of specific hardware being damaged by the
misuse of specific software. No known viruses damage hardware,
and despite many suggestions to the contrary, it is unlikely that
one will ever exist.

That said, there is a virus (CIH) which corrupts a system BIOS, which
is not hardware damage, but is as difficult to fix. With a corrupt BIOS,
it is not possible for the system to start; the BIOS chip would need to
be returned to the factory to get re-programmed. Hardware write
protection of the BIOS should be used whenever possible, as should current
anti-virus software."

You can read the entire FAQ here:

Virus Myth FAQ

One important thing to note about destroying the BIOS... one would have to make a virus specifically for a certain BIOS type... and obviously APPLE with their EFI/BIOS layers are unlike ANY OTHER BIOS IN EXISTANCE ANYWHERE...

So what that means is that the Mac is potentially MUCH MORE SECURE/SAFE from this type of attack than any other Windows Computer... becuase I can pretty much guarandamntee you that nobody but some chained-up locked-up malnourished never-seen-daylight-in-8-years software slave knows the EFI/BIOS code... and you'd need INTIMATE knowledge of that (I believe) in order to make a virus that would wipe out the MAC EFI/BIOS layer.

So... rest easy. Load Winblows. And when your XP partition blows up... just re-format, re-install... and your OS X partition won't even know what happened ;)

BrutX

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
MacProGuy said:
One important thing to note about destroying the BIOS... one would have to make a virus specifically for a certain BIOS type... and obviously APPLE with their EFI/BIOS layers are unlike ANY OTHER BIOS IN EXISTANCE ANYWHERE...

So what that means is that the Mac is potentially MUCH MORE SECURE/SAFE from this type of attack than any other Windows Computer... becuase I can pretty much guarandamntee you that nobody but some chained-up locked-up malnourished never-seen-daylight-in-8-years software slave knows the EFI/BIOS code... and you'd need INTIMATE knowledge of that (I believe) in order to make a virus that would wipe out the MAC EFI/BIOS layer.

i think that's only partially true. you don't need to know the details of the BIOS code itself. if you just want to trash it, you can write any random junk into the BIOS. what you do need to know is the mechanism for overwriting the BIOS. the CIH virus, i believe, wasn't specific to a particular BIOS. it exploited the fact that the method for flashing the BIOS was similar across many PC motherboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIH_virus

hopefully apple has something more secure in place. in any case, if someone knew how to trash the BIOS on a mac they could probably get it done in either windows or OSX, so don't sweat your OS too much. ;-)

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
MacProGuy said:
Ok... to get back on target (I know, kinda a stretch for me... but what the heck...)...

Right from Microsoft, here is the O/S Ram Support List:

Windows NT 4.0: 4 GB
Windows 2000 Professional: 4 GB
Windows 2000 Standard Server: 4 GB
Windows 2000 Advanced Server: 8GB
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server: 32GB
Windows XP Professional: 4 GB
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition: 2 GB
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition: 4 GB
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition: 32 GB
Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition: 64 GB

You can read the entire article here:

Win XP Pro Ram KB

That doesnt help. I know XP will do 4GB (although it does have a memory hole with 4GB).

The problem is that the Mac Pro isnt showing all the memory in Windows. With 3GB of RAM it only shows 2GB.

The point of this post was to see if the iMac which is capable of 3GB has the same problem. Which would give us more insight into the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.