Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Quite annoying.

Reading: I have DVDs (Fuji) that are in perfect shape that my 12" PB read perfectly, that my 15" MBP won't touch.

Burning: Every time I burn an audio CD, the end product skips on the later tracks (8 and up).

Anyone else having these issues? My MBP is perfect otherwise.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the insight.:rolleyes: I'm looking for similar experiences, which may be indicative of these drives just being sensitive (i.e. crap).

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
USA
Quite annoying.

Reading: I have DVDs (Fuji) that are in perfect shape that my 12" PB read perfectly, that my 15" MBP won't touch.

Burning: Every time I burn an audio CD, the end product skips on the later tracks (8 and up).

I think i recall a post on here or elsewhere about these drives being sensitive to cheap/generic cds and dvds. I would try a good brand if your not using one already.

Edit: I just now noticed that you said you have fuji cds. I heard the sony ones work perfect. Get some and give it a try.

kerisimasi

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2006
sensitive drive

Quite annoying.

Hey, my drive is acting kind of funny as well....( i have a c2d 2.16) Cds that run perfect on my desktop will get spit out of my mbp. I was trying to import my cd library but gave up because it would only get through about half of each cd before itunes freezes up on me. Also, when putting a blank cd into the drive, it doesn't get recognized by my computer unless I open it into finder. If I try opening itunes as the "action" when I insert the cd, nothing happens, cd is not recognized by mbp....hope that made some sense. I tried reseting by taking battery out and holding power button...etc. nothing cheers

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I recently had a few problems with my C2D MBP where if I put a DVD in, it said something along the lines of an "unreadable format," or something along those lines. It was really weird because the night before it worked fine, and the only thing I had done since was install Mac the Ripper and, umm, some other video conversion program I can't recall.

Anyway, I uninstalled both and everything worked fine. I'm not sure if it was a problem with the software or something else, but if you've installed anything lately you might want to try a quick uninstall and see what happens.

As for the CD burning issue, I didn't try that, so I may have had the problem without knowing it. Hope this might help a bit.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Nope, I haven't installed any particular apps related to the problem. I don't get any kind of errors either. The drive just chews for a while then spits out the DVD it doesn't like. If you have any spare CDs lying around, try burning them and playing them on various players.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.