Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm going to chime in here. Graduated Engineer from the University of New Orleans. Not one of those big name schools, but guess what? I got a nice job that pays really well (leave it at $70k+/year after taxes).

I did horrible on my Math SAT (I took the SAT twice) at a average 590 and 610 respectively. I started out in Calculus I and worked my way up to graduating. You know what really matters? Your love for what you study.

It makes no sense to study hard, when you are learning something you have no passion about. It won't work and you will just frustrate yourself. There is no need also to frustrate yourself with a big name school. I went to a state funded public university and I managed great. Your GPA matters not to a recruiter. Trust me on that one... out of the 50 jobs I applied to (10 of which said yes), none, let me repeat that, none asked me for my GPA.

Just do well in school to learn the basics and whatever the teach you, but don't get worked up over not having a perfect 4.0.

In the end, it is your aptitude to the challenge that matters and how well you can solve a problem. For the record, I'm one of two Quality Engineers at a PCB facility with 8 full-time SMT lines and 2 THT Lines. Got the job being a recent grad when they asked for 5+ years experience.

Escher2112

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Michigan
I'm going to chime in here. Graduated Engineer from the University of New Orleans. Not one of those big name schools, but guess what? I got a nice job that pays really well (leave it at $70k+/year after taxes).

I did horrible on my Math SAT (I took the SAT twice) at a average 590 and 610 respectively. I started out in Calculus I and worked my way up to graduating. You know what really matters? Your love for what you study.

It makes no sense to study hard, when you are learning something you have no passion about. It won't work and you will just frustrate yourself. There is no need also to frustrate yourself with a big name school. I went to a state funded public university and I managed great. Your GPA matters not to a recruiter. Trust me on that one... out of the 50 jobs I applied to (10 of which said yes), none, let me repeat that, none asked me for my GPA.

Just do well in school to learn the basics and whatever the teach you, but don't get worked up over not having a perfect 4.0.

In the end, it is your aptitude to the challenge that matters and how well you can solve a problem. For the record, I'm one of two Quality Engineers at a PCB facility with 8 full-time SMT lines and 2 THT Lines. Got the job being a recent grad when they asked for 5+ years experience.

X1000

I also have *never* been asked my GPA in more than 15 years working in industry. Passion and drive and commitment.. thats what matters..

As to pay rate - it can fluctuate a lot based on location, but here in the Detroit Metro area - guys with my level of experience are making from $70k-$110k depending on the situation... I'm right in the middle as I chose not to take the management route.

Thats another thing to keep in mind - You wont make the large salary without additional risk and / or specialization. You either become a needed expert, or you become a needed mentor / manager / leader. If you are just a cog in the wheel who is good at your job, you don't make the large sums. I've done both - and I decided my days of no sleep over $24M projects were over, so I became a technical senior engineer and chose family and quality of life over the almighty dollar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.