Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Just as what the title saids, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 30" ACD and I've already returned my 20" ACD and might sell the 23" ACD.

junior77

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Michigan
Yes, I play WoW, and intend to buy CoD4 for mac once it is available.

What specifically are you concerned about?

The computer and graphx card are adequate to play WoW at those resolutions, you won't max out at any time, but very seldom are you ~30fps, maybe in high lag cities. With all settings set to MAX, playing windowed mode I'm typically at 50fps.

Mac Pro 2.8GHz, 10GB Ram, Raptor 150GB, 8800GT

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Yes, I play WoW, and intend to buy CoD4 for mac once it is available.

What specifically are you concerned about?

The computer and graphx card are adequate to play WoW at those resolutions, you won't max out at any time, but very seldom are you ~30fps, maybe in high lag cities. With all settings set to MAX, playing windowed mode I'm typically at 50fps.

Mac Pro 2.8GHz, 10GB Ram, Raptor 150GB, 8800GT

I'm thinking about picking up a 30" ACD today at the apple store and curious if I say I run wow on it, would it even go up that high in resolution?? Also if I do play WOW on the 30" I think I'll use the windowed mode.. does the windowed mode look stretched out as well on a 30" since there are so many pixels??

junior77

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Michigan
WoW can display the full resolution, 2560x1600. Just make sure you set the settings properly in game options menu.

In Windowed mode, it does not stretch. WoW will maintain the proper aspect ratio and just scale down to whatever size you want to fill the desktop.

Playing WoW on a 30" is great, especially when playing in windowed mode so that you can see your chat cliets, safari, or whatever...

The other option would be to have dual monitors, where one screen would be WoW, and the other would be your desktop.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I've been playing COD4 on my Mac Pro with 30" ACD at 1344x1024 with all the settings at "normal" and 4xAA. I haven't really tried any resolutions higher than than and haven't felt the need. That game is really amazing on a 30" ACD and I really believe it provides an advantage. I get frame rates between 45 fps and 78 fps. AVerage frame rate is 74, average minimum frame rate is about 48.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.