Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Anyone jumping ship to a Galaxy Nexus???. I did and love it. My only winge is the ringer volume but "Volume +" fixed that, so all in all I am very happy with the switch................what about the rest of you??

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Yes I am drinking the koolaid though I do have an Android as my work phone and hate the operating system, but I knew this was coming and I posted anyway.

You must have that "full" feeling from all that iOS iKoolaid:p

Hardware is far from irrelevant from what most of the iPhone fanboys preach!:p

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Had it for one day and returned it. I missed the nice feel of iOS. Yes it's boring. Just works so well. And honestly the screen seems better on my iPhone than it did on the nexus. The whites were horrible. Glad your enjoying your new phone :) its a good phone. Was a nice change.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'll admit to being impressed by the GN.

Trouble for me is I'm pretty well entrenched into the iOS infrastructure - iOS apps and services (iCloud), easy wireless syncing & backups through iTunes and iCloud and other iOS cloud services. I know most of this functionality can be duplicated on Android, but better integration with my Macs is going to be tough.

Then there's my dependence on an encrypted Exchange server at work which, for now, only has support for iOS's native email app. It can be used on Android through an app called "Good for Enterprise."

While this app also has an iOS version, the using the Exchange account native on the iPhone has certain advantages versus through a separate app. For one, the devices calendars are unified -- the iPhone's calendar app shows both my personal calendar and the Exchange business calendar together. On Android (or iOS) with Good, the business Exchange calendar is only viewable through the Good app itself, forcing me to look at & manage two separate calendars in two separate apps.

Plus, this very important, mission-critical app doesn't even work properly on Android ICS 4.0 according to the support forum posts. That right there is a deal-breaker.

Besides, being able to run Keynote presentations right off my iPhone 4S is pretty darn handy, something that AFAIK can't be done similarly with PowerPoint and an Android phone.

I'd certainly jump on a 4" iPhone 5, however, even at 960x640. Bigger than 4" might be too big, though.

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
I have had a Droid 1 for 2 years up until a couple weeks ago when I bought an iPhone 4S. I'm very familiar with android and was waiting for an awesome android phone to come to Verizon for the longest time and when it didn't, I couldn't wait for the GNex anymore so I went ahead and bought the iphone.

Since then, I went in the store and played with the GNex and I must say, it made me happy about my decision.

First of all, it was very very large. Now I have very large hands, but I still found the phone to be wayy too spread out for my thumb to reach the top of the screen flawlessly.

It was a very light phone but also, as a result, felt very very cheap. I know this means that it will probably be more durable than the iphone (plastic vs glass) but just holding the iphone itself makes it seem of a much higher quality all around. I just couldn't shake the feeling of heft and quality vs cheap and flimsy.

The new OS is pretty slick and the phone itself was very fast, but it was still lacking that fluidity of the iphone. I don't know why. I REALLY REALLY wanted to be impressed by the GNex because I'm a huge phone guy and a fan of technology in general as well as Android but I just wasn't feeling it.

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
I'll admit to being impressed by the GN.

Trouble for me is I'm pretty well entrenched into the iOS infrastructure - iOS apps and services (iCloud), easy wireless syncing & backups through iTunes and iCloud and other iOS cloud services. I know most of this functionality can be duplicated on Android, but better integration with my Macs is going to be tough.
I thought the same, I dont own a PC and have had iPhone from day one but this puppy is nice, yes its another toy but really it is nice and Google can sync all that I have back and forth to my Mac so this puppy is a keeper for now..........well until iPhone 5 shows up :):):)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
so this puppy is a keeper for now..........well until iPhone 5 shows up :):):)

Bingo. Knowing me I'd also want an iPhone 5. So while I lucky enough to have the means to buy a GN if I wanted one to play with (and switch back and forth between the iP4S and GN as necessary), I'd just be spending more money come July... or whenever.

Damn those fun tech toys!!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hell no.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Nope. Just got my iPhone 4S and love it. Gonna get my wife one next year or maybe I will wait until a new one is out, get it for her and then switch it to my number. :D

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Nah, would rather have an iPhone any day. I have an Android tablet, it's okay, but the operating system is far inferior than Apples. The iPhone experience is much more gratifying that any Android I've had the chance to use.

Plus, I remember reading an article that younger people prefer Android while people of all ages prefer Apple iPhone. Kind of says something.

I think Android is a little generic. You see all these Android phones pop up that look like carbon copies of each other. There is only 1 iPhone.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Horrible battery life. Un-polished smoothness. Pentile screen is bad. I don't care what the specs say, pentiles just look horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.