Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigermorehouse

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
Ipod touch help with viber

Hi - I brought my daughter an Ipod touch 4th gen as I think she is too young for a phone. she wants to use viber to send messages to her cousins.

As she doesn't have a mobile phone and therefore a sim card is it possible to configure viber to work without a mobile number being assigned?

luca111

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
Hello,
here it is a simple question I can't find anywhere.

I registered with Viber more than a year ago and I still have the original sms with the activation code.

If someone were to steal that code, could it work still and be used to log on another device unknowingly?

Thanks, this is a very important privacy concern!

Bye!

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Hi - I brought my daughter an Ipod touch 4th gen as I think she is too young for a phone. she wants to use viber to send messages to her cousins.

As she doesn't have a mobile phone and therefore a sim card is it possible to configure viber to work without a mobile number being assigned?

nope it needs a mobile number to work.

however there are ways to get a free number. depending on where you are located.

facetime, imessage, google hangout and more are also alternatives

Hello,
here it is a simple question I can't find anywhere.

I registered with Viber more than a year ago and I still have the original sms with the activation code.

If someone were to steal that code, could it work still and be used to log on another device unknowingly?

Thanks, this is a very important privacy concern!

Bye!

if the code is activated im pretty sure its useless and no reason for you to even keep it. if its not and you havent used it yet you can delete it and get a new one later.

luca111

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014

however there are ways to get a free number. depending on where you are located.

if the code is activated im pretty sure its useless and no reason for you to even keep it. if its not and you havent used it yet you can delete it and get a new one later.

-Yeah I think you're right. In addition every time a user wish to install viber on new device, a new code is automatically sent, thus making outdated the original code

tigermorehouse

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
OK so I need to get her pay as you go sim just to get her activated but if I don't use the sim card often the provider will cut it off, will viber still work after the provider has cut the service? therefore you only need it one at the start to register?

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
OK so I need to get her pay as you go sim just to get her activated but if I don't use the sim card often the provider will cut it off, will viber still work after the provider has cut the service? therefore you only need it one at the start to register?

i do not know if viber only checks and verifies the number during installation or if it does that after that, after ios updates, viber updates and so on.

http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/1

try and submit a ticket and see what they say

Eitzik

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014
Hi,
I apologize for my delayed response.

Viber is associated with the phone itself, but its identity is the phone number with which it was registered.

So, in order to solve this conflict, what you need to do is to go to the "More" tab inside Viber, then choose to Deactivate.

After that, remove Viber from both devices, reinstall it from AppStore, then you register Viber with your telephone number, and she should register with hers. Now, all should work :)

I have a similar problem. How can I deactivate viber if the only screen in viber is the setup screen and enter activation code screen. There is no "more" option?

tltarvin

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Is a cellphone number needed?

Hi,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team.
Here are the instructions for what you asked:

...download and install Viber app. when asked for your number, enter your regular cellphone's number, then confirm.
3. an SMS message with the code will be sent to your regular cellular phone.
4. take that code and use it in your iPad/iPod. Viber will then be activated, and you're good to go.

I am considering getting Viber for my daughter's iPod Touch. She does not have a cellphone and my wife and I don't want her getting our calls if we used our cell number. Is a cell phone number really needed?

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
@tltarvin: You don't necessarily need to use a cell phone. You can register your house landline number to her iPod. Just be sure to select the Automatic Callback feature when activating that number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.