Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay5782

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
I need to buy a new 12" Powerbook between now and the end of August or so. Does anyone know if there is any kind of midstream boost in performance imminent?

I purchased my last one a few days before the processors were boosted from 867Mhz to 1Ghz. Fortunately Apple ran out of the old inventory and just delayed my order for a few days until the new ones were ready to ship, but if I'd ordered a week earlier, I really would have been kicking myself. Am I safe to order this week, or should I wait a few days?

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I think if anyone knew anything about Pb updates MacRumors could eliminate 50% of the threads on these forums. But yes in the future there will be updates most people believe(i can't speak for everyone) but that the earliest we'll see updates would be in September 20-24 Paris Expo, I would think they'd wanna do one soon however for back to school. The time for them to do these back to school updates is getting less and less since most students want to get their laptops earlier then a week or two before school starts(Early Sept-Late Aug). I wish you the best in getting Pb/iBook updates soon, but I don't think it's gonna hapen in your time frame.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Anything is possible, but I agree with the first reply. I'm thinking October/November seems the best bet on Powerbook updates.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Yeah, I just got back from Cupertino and Steve Jobs told me to tell you to not buy one for another 3 months because he's gonna start giving them away and they'll have the new processors.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
jimsowden said:
Yeah, I just got back from Cupertino and Steve Jobs told me to tell you to not buy one for another 3 months because he's gonna start giving them away and they'll have the new processors.

Very funy jimsowden... :D
Agree with iDM. If everyone knew when the updates was going to happen, 50% of the threads would be eliminated.

If you don't really need one yet, then wait. But if you do, then get one. No matter what, there will always be updates.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
I'd say most likely nothing till late September.

However, I would wait a week or so to see what happens with the iBooks. I think there is a chance that new iBooks and PBs could come out together.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Look at this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/134308/

I Hope we get a Rev E by early September. I Am Betting though that we will see both the iBook and the Powerbook being update at the same time either next Tuesday, July 26, or most likely August 2. If the Powerbook is not updated by September, then I just plan on buying the current revision.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
nobody really knows. But you would think that maybe Apple would want something out by the holidays anyway. Hopefully sooner, but like I said, no one knows for sure.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Anyone who could answer a post like this is under NDA and won't be answering a post like this.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current PowerBooks so if you need one buy one, will there be an update? Of course! When? I didn't sign an NDA so my guess as good as anyones. PowerBook G5 next Tuesday!

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
No updated PBs until late Sept. or early/mid- October. Then Intel PBs at WWDC. That's what I'm guessing.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
risc said:
Will there be an update? Of course! When? I didn't sign an NDA so my guess as good as anyones. PowerBook G5 next Tuesday!

Finally, the PowerBook G5 debuts next tuesday. ;)
I think that I might order one....wonder if it will have a 2.7GHz G5 inside of it. ;)

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Let the new iBook and Mac Mini dominate the Apple front page for a couple of weeks, with the "Apple For Everyone - At Home and On The Go" kind of design.

Then expect new PowerBooks to bring back the differentiation between the two lines.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
dmw007 said:
Finally, the PowerBook G5 debuts next tuesday. ;)
I think that I might order one....wonder if it will have a 2.7GHz G5 inside of it. ;)

Sure, why not. As long as you don't mind the size and weight.

Attachments

• g5_powerbook.jpg
    g5_powerbook.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 185
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.