Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Last year... I unlocked 2 T-Mobile iPhone 5C's and sold them to upgrade my kids' iPhones. T-Mobile sent me the emails, and I restored them as soon as the emails arrived and got the "Congratulations! Your iPhone is unlocked!" screen for both of them. At the time, I didn't pay attention, but those emails said, "Wait 72 hours" then do it. But it worked right away... so no big deal. This was laster year... so my experience with T-Mobile unlocking has been smooth so far."

Fast forward to yesterday, I sold my iPhone 6 Plus on eBay and the seller paid. Seller asked for me to unlock it with T-Mobile. I agreed. So yesterday I contact T-Mobile and they put in "the request" for unlocking. This morning I got a similar email to the ones I got last year, but this time they say "After 24 hours..." I went ahead and did the restore and the phone is still not unlocked. Tried a couple of times. So... am I being impatient? I am now going to wait the 24 hours, but I really wanted to ship this phone out today.

Anyone else have experience with T-Mobile iPhone unlocking? Did you have to wait the timeframe suggested in the email?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
FYI iTunes is no longer required for this. It's all handled through iOS contacting the server during activation now. Good to confirm, I suppose, with iTunes though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.