Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Selsk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2017
Just looking for advice on the spreading method for the processor and the GPUs. I checked intels recommendations but the E5 is not listed.
Also what brand do you recommend? I am looking at Gelid GC-Exteme.

Thanks!

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
I've (sort of) done it, but it was an upgrade rather than a re-application. Upgraded from quad-core to 8-core and used Arctic MX-4. Used the 'X' pattern spreading method. Temps dropped to around 12-14C less than quad when idle and never got above around 75C when under sustained load of all cores.

Reactions: Selsk

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Same experience as The_Interloper. Upgraded a CPU on my previous trashcan.

Now with my actual trashcan when I'm on heavy load I started using Macs Fan Control. I can have aroun 60°C during rendering session. Not too much loud.

Reactions: Selsk

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I have heard various methods about applying thermal paste. I plan on upgrading my CPU to a 12-Core. I heard the "X" method, and the "Bean" method etc. Since the top of the CPU chip is large (where you would apply the thermal paste), how much (or how large) should be applied? Should I apply thermal paste on both the CPU chip and heat sink or just the CPU chip? I have heard both, but still not sure. Thanks for the help.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
You could do it however you want, but the official Apple method is to lay the special thermal grease stencil over the chip, apply enough grease/paste to fill all the square holes and then remove the excess using the access card. Then lift the stencil off and you're left with neat little squares of paste on the chip. Then secure it back onto the thermal core. Tighten the four T10 screws in the sequence shown in the picture to exactly 1.2 Nm.

Attachments

• Thermal Grease Application.png
    Thermal Grease Application.png
    309.9 KB · Views: 331
  • T10 Tightening Sequence.png
    T10 Tightening Sequence.png
    226.8 KB · Views: 312

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
seems like a good way to quickly (assembly line method) get it done and consistant.

But...nowhere to get template, especially just for 1 or 2 regreasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.