Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Just wondering if anyone's tried to run Mac OSX 10.5 on their 800mhz G4 and how the performance is (good/bad)? Obviously the cutoff is 867mhz.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Just wondering if anyone's tried to run Mac OSX 10.5 on their 800mhz G4 and how the performance is (good/bad)? Obviously the cutoff is 867mhz.

I haven't myself, but it is possible to install via target disk mode (firewire connected) to a Leopard "compatible" mac that is a G4 or G5 (but not an intel, as it won't install correctly).

There's not much difference between 800mhz and 867 mhz (67mhz, duh, or less than 10%) so I wouldn't expect much of a performance issue.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
i wanted to know from someone who is running 10.5 on an 800 if they'd recommend doing it.

bill-gates

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
i have an emac what is 800 mhz and my ibook g4 that is 1.33 ghz, i'll be putting leopard on both by saturday, how will i be going on putting leopard on?
here is your/my answer get a fire wire cable, your leopard disk/dmg (.dmg in my case because im skint) and your imac and a supported mac.
install leopard on the supported mac, then when thats done boot your imac into target disk mode (boot up pressing T) then on the supported mac
download a small tool called superduper then when its installed
connect your 2 macs through firewire, go on disk utilities erase your imacs harddrive (back up any files first!) then clone your supported macs hd onto the imac, reboot the imac todah!!! leopard on a 800mhz imac/emac i have you should at least have 384mb to install

bill-gates

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
i have an emac what is 800 mhz and my ibook g4 that is 1.33 ghz, i'll be putting leopard on both by saturday, how will i be going on putting leopard on?
here is your/my answer get a fire wire cable, your leopard disk/dmg (.dmg in my case because im skint) and your imac and a supported mac.
install leopard on the supported mac, then when thats done boot your imac into target disk mode (boot up pressing T) then on the supported mac
download a small tool called superduper then when its installed
connect your 2 macs through firewire, go on disk utilities erase your imacs harddrive (back up any files first!) then clone your supported macs hd onto the imac, reboot the imac todah!!! leopard on a 800mhz imac/emac i have you should at least have 384mb to install

SCREW ALL THAT! i forgot abot leopardasisst http://leopardassist.sourceforge.net/
it'l trick leopard into thinking you have a supported mac its much easier than my previouse post, but you NEED at least 512mb of ram for this!
hope this helped!:apple::apple:

Rickeo

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
I installed Leopard on my 733Mhz Quicksilver G4. I Ran into some issues that I will try to explain here. The 733 is the ONLY PPC machine in our house, so the only one with the Apple Partition Map and not the Intel macs GUID partition scheme. Before I knew about this, i booted the 733 into target disk mode and connected it to my 2.0Ghz iMac CoreDuo. I booted my iMac from the Leopard DVD, but the installed told me that I would have to reformat the drive with the GUID partition scheme, Ok i thought, so i did that and installed Leopard. Once it was finished I tried to boot it, but i got the blinking question mark.... :mad:

I was pretty certain that it was the GUID partition map that PPC macs cant work with. So I added a new 10Gb partition on my iMac, booted the Leopard DVD and installed onto the new partition. I then booted my iMac into my main 10.5.2 installation, and used SuperDuper! to clone the newly made partition onto the 733's drive, that i had since re-partitioned to Apple Partition Map. Booted up the 733 and the Leopard into video started!!:D I was quite proud of myself...:cool:

BTW, it runs damn good, mainly because I have added a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128Mb, 1Gb RAM, and a 7200Rpm Spinpoint F1 HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.