Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
sorry is it me or does the new finder window suck? the way it looks is stupid and over sized.. and wtf.. why cannot you scroll through all the sections with the cursor keys? i mean you cannot scroll to another disk partion.. really annoying, bassically i fail to see why this is a better design interface for the finder window.. what do you think?

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
just what is there to love? its over sized wtf are those stupid big borders about? and it has lost some functionality in that you cannot use keys to access all its part.. i dont see why the finder window is any better.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
I like the new Finder. It's far more logical and efficient to have the home folder, applications, and such at the left side, especially from a column view point of view. The integrated eject buttons are only icing on the cake. It's different, sure. But just like we all had to adapt to Mac OS X, Panther is something else that, once we adapt to, we will learn to love.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
you cannot you the cursor keys to move from through partions or onto the network section, i like to use a mouse as little as possible and this needing to click between drives and then using curser keys sucks..

and i mean that the bigg grey borders around the finder window make it look over sized.. there is a very unessecary 1cm grey border at the bottom of the window, look stupid.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Anybody notice that folder labels works again? Great!

I think the new Finder's pretty good. I like being able to click "Applications" on the left side.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I agree, it is so much more logical and easier to navigate now. It was confusing for me at first to have the Computer section, Favorites section, Home section, etc and figuring out what led to where when I had Jaguar. As far as the eject buttons, I love that feature.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I seem to be able to use my cursors on the Finder window...also, have you tried clicking the button on the top right to get rid of all that brushed metal and borders that you dislike so much? That slims the window down to its bare minimum.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
yeah if you click that button you end up with nearly the jaguar style window..

as for cursors.. i can use them to move through the folder etc, but i cannot use them to move to another drive partion or over to application etc on the left hand side.. can you?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I love the new finder. It is alot better than jags. I have been using panther through all the buils since WWDC, and have grown to love the new finder. i love the side bar, as much as it might be a M$ "copy". I think that is it great.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
I love the new finder. It is alot better than jags. I have been using panther through all the buils since WWDC, and have grown to love the new finder. i love the side bar, as much as it might be a M$ "copy". I think that is it great.

I think it copies iTunes more than Microsoft.

Taavi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
1. Go to the finder
2. Go to preferences
3. Select Sidebar
4. Uncheck Hard Disks, iDisk, Network, Connected Servers, and Removable Media.
5. Make sure Computer has a check next to it.

Or

1. Go to the finder
2. Go to preferences
3. Select General
4. Click "New finder windows open in:" and select Computer.

Whichever way you like to do it but they should both work. Now you can use the arrow keys to navigate partitions, media, networks, etc. Have fun!

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
The new Finder is more functional, but I especially love the new finder for the following reason: No more pinstipes, so aqua can look how it was meant to be.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
I think it copies iTunes more than Microsoft.

/agree. That is why I put "copy" in qoutes. I don't think that it is a copy at all, considering M$ so blatantly copied the mac gui when it made windows.

akitzmil

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2003
Mundelein IL
It's mostly a cosmetic change from Jaguar plus some new features. How can that "suck"? It basically moved icons that were at the top of the window to the side.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
i actually liked those pinstripes :confused:

i'm not really into the metal..especially when I don't have a G5 to match to it :D

fuge

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2002
Tacoma, WA
I really like the new finder. Much more useful to me. On my computer after a clean install it runs faster than before. In the past I would get hung up on some drives or folders but haven't noticed that at all since I've installed Panther. This cat is purring nicely.

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
I like the new Finder. It's far more logical and efficient to have the home folder, applications, and such at the left side, especially from a column view point of view. The integrated eject buttons are only icing on the cake. It's different, sure. But just like we all had to adapt to Mac OS X, Panther is something else that, once we adapt to, we will learn to love.

Phil, What or where are the integrated eject buttons?

Thanks

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by gmanrique
Phil, What or where are the integrated eject buttons?

Thanks

It's circled in this pic: if I clicked on it, I would eject my iPod.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,685
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.