Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Let's be real - not every student has money to shell out for 16-32-64gb systems.
All the course work is designed to be run on 8GB + DS is reliant on R,Python which are not ram eaters.

You would learn small data sets anyways that can be done on 8GB, but if smth requires more then often it would be run in the cloud on VMs with many more cores/RAM and etc. So you can never speck out your home system to be equal to running a VM but you can get by with what you have to test the concepts on local machine.
For simple projects for students, I agree, but I don't need a laptop for just school. Over the summer, I had to build a pipeline to get data from all utilities in the US and I was very thankful that my gov issued computer had 32GB of RAM. Even then, it struggled a bit. For large projects on my Github, I actually prefer to download data instead of SSH-ing to AWS due to the fees I have to pay for RDS & EC2.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
my base Air consistently suffers from memory pressure with 10-15 Chrome tabs open alone

Try Safari instead!

Over the summer, I had to build a pipeline to get data from all utilities in the US and I was very thankful that my gov issued computer had 32GB of RAM.

Impressive! Of course, most Mac users aren't doing anything remotely like that! So, 8GB is enough…

Reactions: adrianlondon

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I am considering a jump from M1 to M3 for my wife because our daughter is looking for an upgrade.
Our daughter currently has a base MBP Retina 13-inch Early 2015 - 8 GB and 256 GB. She does not need anything fancy and because her system is getting long in the tooth, we were planning to trade-in her old system and then giving her my wife's M1 Air (also base).
The only reason I am considering M3 for my wife is because the base storage in M3 is now on par with M1, unlike M2 which were half the speed; otherwise, I would look for a deal for M2 Air. Given that we would go with base 8 GB for my wife, the storage speed might be a factor with page swap etc. Alternatively, we could go for M2 16GB/256 GB but at the end that config would be more expensive than M3 base, hence the most logical option is to go from M1 base to M3 base. She might also be interested in 15-inch model, but that is something we need to see in person; so if that would be the case, she would go from M1 base to M3 15-inch base.
If it's for simple tasks only, I recommend the M1 again. I would never recommend the M2 8/256; I would get 8/512 or 16/512 for the M2 if you must but really, skip the M2 series altogether. The SSD of the base M1 is far superior to the base M2, as you already know. The base M1 will be a huge upgrade for her - I used to have a mid-2014 base retina so I speak from experience. The added benefit is that it's only $750.

But if keeping the wife happy is the primary concern, then I can understand getting her the new M3. The upgraded processor, camera, battery life, and updated design may be worth it as the base M3 is $1000 in the Apple Education Store, which your daughter qualifies for.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 14.01.05.png

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 14.00.51.png
Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 14.03.34.png

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I am seriously considering an upgrade because I under configured by going with the base M1 3+ years ago. I run out of space on the drive when working with videos and the memory constraints cab be felt when multiple tasks.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I am seriously considering an upgrade because I under configured by going with the base M1 3+ years ago. I run out of space on the drive when working with videos and the memory constraints cab be felt when multiple tasks.
If you don't have already any other mac with at least 16/512 then i would seriously consider upgrading. Running out of space is the least fun in this things - i liked my 2012 MBP 13 a lot but couldn't stop having issues for 4 years with 128GB storage.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It suffices for most people, not for everybody.
How would us 8GB people know if it's causing us issues?

What I mean is: Unix/MacOS swaps anyway - it's designed to. Plus, it's designed to use as much memory as it has, so seeing memory close to fully used is also normal.

The SSD in my (2020 Intel) MBA is pretty fast, but obviously not RAM-fast. What should I be looking out for? The only app I run here that seems slow to get going is MS Office 2019, but I saw it open slow on a friend's 16GB M1 MBA too.

Reactions: arcite

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020

What I mean is: Unix/MacOS swaps anyway - it's designed to. Plus, it's designed to use as much memory as it has, so seeing memory close to fully used is also normal.

The SSD in my (2020 Intel) MBA is pretty fast, but obviously not RAM-fast. What should I be looking out for? The only app I run here that seems slow to get going is MS Office 2019, but I saw it open slow on a friend's 16GB M1 MBA too.
Your best bet would be to order the same laptop but one in 8gb and second with 16gb ram. Then test them out for your hardest use cases.

I don’t see a difference 95% of the time, and was able to spot where it fails to satisfy 5% of the time this way.
So for me 8gb fails if/when:
1) external displays add 1.2gb of ram use on average cause ram is dhared between cou and gpu. In this scenario with 2 screens, 16gb noticeably faster than 8gb.
2) when i go all in eith hogging many tabs and have open a lot of applications then 8gb slows down at some point but 16gb doesn’t.
3) if you render your video, export photographs from lightroom and browse at the same time then 16gb is noticeably faster
4) if running 1 or more 4k screens, and play youtube 4k, 4k hdr 60 fps or 5K videos, then 8gb stutters more while 16 is smooth.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
2) when i go all in eith hogging many tabs and have open a lot of applications then 8gb slows down at some point but 16gb doesn’t.

How many tabs in Safari (or other browser?) are you talking about? And how many/which apps?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

Gut feel is the best guide to start. If things are chugging and you're frequently rebooting, and those frequent reboots are making things snappy again, then you might be hitting the wall.

Activity Monitor will tell you the amount of swap used. So if you are in that chugging/rebooting loop then next time before rebooting look in Activity Monitor and check the swap usage. Then correlate that over a little bit of time. If the chugging and swap use are directly correlated you are likely having low memory issues.

But low memory issues can be caused by misbehaved apps or bugs. Some apps just don't release their memory properly after being used. That's not a RAM issue, it's an app issue.

Finally, the more RAM you have, the more you will use. Using 8GB doesn't necessarily mean that you need to upgrade to 16GB, because on a 16GB machine you'll use 16GB too. But if you're using 8GB or RAM and you're rapidly ramping to 8GB of swap, that's a red flag for sure.

Swapping to disk used to be heavily punitive with HDDs and even slower SSDs. These days it's far less of an issue.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
How many tabs in Safari (or other browser?) are you talking about? And how many/which apps?
Usually 50+ for me across safari and chrome with microsoft office apps on the background, zoom. Not instantly but after like couple days. Reboot helps with lagging.

To Howard’s point: by day 2-3 it has 8-16 gb in swap and starts lagging until reboot.

Reactions: geta

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Usually 50+ for me across safari and chrome with microsoft office apps on the background, zoom. Not instantly but after like couple days. Reboot helps with lagging.

To Howard’s point: by day 2-3 it has 8-16 gb in swap and starts lagging until reboot.
This amount of swap and the lagging happen with the 8GB or 16GB machine?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
This amount of swap and the lagging happen with the 8GB or 16GB machine?
8gb on m1 air mac os 11.2.3.

Though my old mbp 13 2012 retina with 8gb on sierra (or high sierra) never gave me this problem and had up time of 180-360 days on average.

Reactions: Saturn007 and geta

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
8gb on m1 air mac os 11.2.3.

Though my old mbp 13 2012 retina with 8gb on sierra (or high sierra) never gave me this problem and had up time of 180-360 days on average.
I have a 2019 16" MBP with 64GB of RAM. I use it for learning data engineering so I have multiple apps open along with many Chrome tabs. It has never swapped.

But I consistently see memory pressure on my M1 MBA with multiple YouTube windows open. And I don't use it for actual productivity work, just a glorified netbook.

I think it's just how they designed Apple Silicon.

Reactions: ctjack

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I have a 2019 16" MBP with 64GB of RAM. I use it for learning data engineering so I have multiple apps open along with many Chrome tabs. It has never swapped.

But I consistently see memory pressure on my M1 MBA with multiple YouTube windows open. And I don't use it for actual productivity work, just a glorified netbook.

I think it's just how they designed Apple Silicon.
Yeap, just for fun loaded 4(8 maximum) - 4k hdr 60 videos on youtube using 1 external 4k + 1 internal screens.
M1 air with 8gb struggles hard.
M1 pro 14 with 16gb didn’t even blink.
Checked stats - cpu/gpu was chill on both but the RAM was limiting because external ate away 1.2gb of it right away.

This was just a pure mechanical benchmark- I don’t claim someone needs to watch 8 4k videos on 2 screens but it gives an idea of roughly limits for other tasks.

Though once i put a cartoon for kids on external while sitting in a zoom meeting on internal screens - so that was helpful but that was handled with ease on air.

Paulejonesy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Had an M1 16/512. Best machine I have owned. Loved it. Dealt with anything I threw at it. From early on using Premiere Pro via Rosetta, to a Resolve grade I used it for just last month. Upgraded to a M3 16/512. Reasons were the new form factor, much better battery life, bigger screen, better webcam/mics. ProRes hardware acceleration was also important to me. Really helped that the M1, especially in the config I had still retained a lot of value, so managed to get the new machine all told for around 800 quid with AppleCare. Do pro video for a living and it's my second machine, but a ridiculously capable one. Easy decision for me.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Had an M1 16/512. Best machine I have owned. Loved it. Dealt with anything I threw at it. From early on using Premiere Pro via Rosetta, to a Resolve grade I used it for just last month. Upgraded to a M3 16/512. Reasons were the new form factor, much better battery life, bigger screen, better webcam/mics. ProRes hardware acceleration was also important to me. Really helped that the M1, especially in the config I had still retained a lot of value, so managed to get the new machine all told for around 800 quid with AppleCare. Do pro video for a living and it's my second machine, but a ridiculously capable one. Easy decision for me.
Bigger screen? Got 15? Congrats on a nice upgrade!

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Gut feel is the best guide to start.
Your best bet would be to order the same laptop but one in 8gb and second with 16gb ram.

Thanks, both. Playing with a friend's M1 (512, 16GB) vs my Intel i5 (256, 8GB) and their machine is slightly faster, but neither of us have issues with things slowing down or being sluggish. I'm putting the difference down almost 100% to the M1 chip.

I do shut down each night, though, which might help.

Upgrade decision waffle:

I was debating the base M3, but checking the Apple trade-in value of my laptop vs. one a year older, it's the same Fr.255 (Swiss Franc), so I may wait for the M4 as mine is working fine.

It all depends if it'll last another year with all-day battery life as I'm currently at 72% health, and a new battery is Fr.165. Add the above together and subtract from the Fr.999 education price of the M3 and it's Fr.580 to upgrade. Hmm. Tempting.

Reactions: Howard2k and ctjack

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I know that there are DisplayLink docks that use virtualization to allow for a second monitor but it's not the same as having 2 native displays. If the performance difference in day-to-day usage is noticeable, I will give my old MBA to a family member and buy an M3 Air.
You'd use your MacBook Air closed so that you could use two external monitors? I personally never use a laptop connected to a monitor without also having the laptop open as well (the more screens, the better), but to each their own!

cowboy77

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
I have 64GB in my 2019 MBP and with Zoom, Stackoverflow, YouTube tutorials, Jupyter, Postgres, I am content but I have no idea what would happen with 8GB on my M1 Air.

I'm shocked to hear of your experience because my base Air consistently suffers from memory pressure with 10-15 Chrome tabs open alone, but many with YouTube videos loading.

I recently deferred my admission to a MS in DS. I think I will use the base Air for going to lectures but I'm skeptical that it will be sufficient for any Data Eng work.
I have a MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM and 1TB SSD, I do a lot of astrophotography processing using Pixinsight... I also "suffer" from memory pressure... I brought a MacBook Pro 16" to replace it, but returned it because I wasn't seeing much of a performance boost to justify the extra $$$$$, perhaps the M1 does such a fantastic job of paging from the 8GB to the 1TB SSD that for me, 8GB of RAM is fine.. I want Apple to keep the 8GB option out there for people like me who do not want to fork over $200+ for a limited performance boost

Reactions: Saturn007

za9ra22

Suspended
Sep 25, 2003
If you did, can you share your experience so far? Benchmarks do show a hefty improvement but do you feel any day-to-day difference?
I haven't replaced my M1 but I did add a 15-inch M3. Both are 8Gb/256.

I used a TimeMachine backup from the M1 to restore on the M3 - in other words, they have the exact same OS, configuration, software and settings as each other.

Using fairly heavy software such as LibreOffice with a 2,500 page document in .doc format, or a 20Mp image in Affinity Photo, I see a notable improvement in speed and responsiveness on the M3, which has the feel of the '1.6x' that Apple quotes.

Internet-related stuff is not much different, though Safari and Firefox both render pages somewhat faster.

For some reason, the 14.3 to 14.4 macOS update was far faster on the M3 after (of course) taking about the same time to download. No idea why that would be, since the download was the same size. Quite possibly the update had a bunch of stuff to remove from the M1's prior macOS installs, which weren't there on the M3.

Side by side, the M3 is quicker, and while I wouldn't say it's like night-and-day, I would say it's a distinct incremental improvement.

Reactions: i486dx2-66 and Mity
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.