Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chukwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
As the title says, I want to hear from member who where on iOS 9.0.2 jailbroken and decided to upgrade to iOS 9.3.3 semi-tethered.

How are you finding it? Did you regret doing it? Shall I upgrade mine to iOS 9.3.3 & jailbreak semi-tethered?

Thanks all

Reactions: Applejuiced

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I did it. I held myself at 9.2.1, not knowing what the future held. With each new release I downloaded the IPSW, and waited. (Just to have it ready to go if needed.)

I did the jailbreak in the early hours of it's release, so I had a little trouble navigating the Chinese. I only had trouble at first because I missed the step to lock your phone. There are plenty of clear instructions now here and on the Reddit site.

I have have NO issues that I am aware of, other than a battery drain from Siri. I disabled "Hey Siri" and that went away. I don't know if that is related to the jailbreak, or from the 9.2.1 - 9.3.3 update.

My phone seems to run very smoothly, and I don't feel like there is "anything wrong" so far.

I know there are others that might be having problems, but they seem to be on the "lets install 50000 tweaks at once" group.

The more tweaks you install, the more likely you are to have a problem with any jailbreak, as they might be conflicting with each other, or not fully compatible with 9.3.3.

Reactions: Chukwe

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
9.3.3 is WAY better than 9.0.2. Even semi-tethered. It's nothing to get your phone back to a jailbroken state if it happens to ever restart. Performance and battery life are stable.

I had 9.0.2 jailbroken until a month ago when the LTE modem failed or something and I had to get a replacement. Used stock for 3 weeks and then this 9.3.3 JB drops. Christmas in July.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
i kind of did, but upgraded the phone as well 5s/32 to SE/64 :)

the 5s still sits on 9.0.2 jailbroken just in case, but I will definitely upgrade it before 9.3.3 window ends. the jb works really well.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
I was JB on 9.0.2 with my 6s and then did an upgrade (not a restore) to 9.3.3 and then JB and it's actually been fine. I usually do a clean install and start fresh but didn't because I'm having iCloud sync issues with some games and didn't want to lose my progress. Surprisingly, I haven't had any problems with instability or incompatibility. I have noticed that my phone doesn't do a nightly reboot the way it did on 9.0.2 so having to "re-jb" the phone after it reboots isn't really that big of a deal. I thought I was going to have to do it every morning but that hasn't been the case.
Very happy so far.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
HECK NO.

I am on 9.1 on both my iPhone 6S Plus (one TMO and one ATT). I wouldn't go to an untethered\semi (whatever you want to call it) under any circumstance. What a pain!

Several of the tweaks I use are visual\UI tweaks. It would drive me nuts anytime the phone reboots having to go and re-jailbreak (even if just a click) just go get my UI enhancements back.

No way. Untethered or I wouldn't jailbreak. Lucky to be on 9.1 jailbroken. I sure hope the team didn't burn an exploit that could ultimately be patched before an actual untethered jailbreak is released.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I did it and don't regret it one bit. I did the jailbreak right on the phone through Safari and it was so easy. Simply rerunning the PP jailbreak app again after a reboot is so easy you don't even realize it is not an untethered jailbreak. My phone is much more stable, no overnight reboots anymore.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I did it and don't regret it one bit. I did the jailbreak right on the phone through Safari and it was so easy. Simply rerunning the PP jailbreak app again after a reboot is so easy you don't even realize it is not an untethered jailbreak. My phone is much more stable, no overnight reboots anymore.

Overnight reboots? On 9.1 I don't experience that.

And the jailbreak has been out for 2 days... I wouldn't hail it as problem free after 48 hours. LOL

You don't realize it's not untethered? Absolute malarky! Every time it boots into iOS and I'd see those gaudy huge icons, I'd go nuts.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Overnight reboots? On 9.1 I don't experience that.

And the jailbreak has been out for 2 days... I wouldn't hail it as problem free after 48 hours. LOL

You don't realize it's not untethered? Absolute malarky! Every time it boots into iOS and I'd see those gaudy huge icons, I'd go nuts.

I was on 9.0.2 when having the overnight reboots a few times a week. I was also able to finally update my watchOS to the latest release since it required a newer iOS version to allow the upgrade. Now that my phone is all set up, I have no reason to reboot the phone so it is basically like an untethered jailbreak to me now. You can mock all you want, but I love being on the latest iOS release again finally.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I was on 9.0.2 when having the overnight reboots a few times a week. I was also able to finally update my watchOS to the latest release since it required a newer iOS version to allow the upgrade. Now that my phone is all set up, I have no reason to reboot the phone so it is basically like an untethered jailbreak to me now. You can mock all you want, but I love being on the latest iOS release again finally.

Not mocking you, just stating why I didn't chose to upgrade to an inferior jailbreak. The OP asked for why\why not and I'm chiming in. If you need the Apple Watch update, it's a smart update. If you like the GUI tweaks, it's not a very smart update. Plain and simple.

Chukwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Does it mean each reboot, you need to jailbreak it again and start installing your cydia apps all over again?

Also, I heard has blocked the safari signing. Will each re-jailbreak be done on a computer?

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Does it mean each reboot, you need to jailbreak it again and start installing your cydia apps all over again?

Also, I heard has blocked the safari signing. Will each re-jailbreak be done on a computer?

No tweaks stay installed, but you have to run an app every start up manually for the tweaks to re-enable. Which can be a pain if you use any anti-jailbreak detection, screen tweaks (ie springtomize), etc. Cause then if your phone reboots you're back to stock until you run the app. For me if it's that or no jailbreak, absolutely, but that's not what the thread is about, the thread is asking if it's worth the downside if jailbroken on 9.0.x-9.1 to go to 9.3.3 semi tethered.

And yeah, the website jailbreak is dead. Now new jailbreak has to be done via the computer.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
HECK NO.

I am on 9.1 on both my iPhone 6S Plus (one TMO and one ATT). I wouldn't go to an untethered\semi (whatever you want to call it) under any circumstance. What a pain!

Several of the tweaks I use are visual\UI tweaks. It would drive me nuts anytime the phone reboots having to go and re-jailbreak (even if just a click) just go get my UI enhancements back.

No way. Untethered or I wouldn't jailbreak. Lucky to be on 9.1 jailbroken. I sure hope the team didn't burn an exploit that could ultimately be patched before an actual untethered jailbreak is released.

I understand what you're saying but let's not be over dramatic. Just the sight of the stock UI for a matter of a minute is completely unacceptable to you? Come on.

Reactions: Snide and jdaniel

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hell to the no bro.
Why go from a nice carefree, solid and stable untethered JB to this?
Also all my tweaks and hacks work great.
And the changes between ios 9.0.2 and 9.3.3 are not really worth to go to a JB with more hoops to jump through.
Im very happy with my untethered 9.0.2 JB iphone still :D
[doublepost=1469735791][/doublepost]
I did it. I held myself at 9.2.1, not knowing what the future held. With each new release I downloaded the IPSW, and waited. (Just to have it ready to go if needed.)

You didn't do it yourself.
He's asking about someone that was on JB ios 9.0.2 and updated to this 9.3.3 JB

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hell to the no bro.
Why go from a nice carefree untethered JB to this.
Also all my tweaks and hacks work great.
And the changes between ios 9.0.2 and 9.3.3 are not really worth to go to a JB with more hoops to jump through.
Im very happy with my untethered 9.0.2 JB iphone still :D

I'm with you 1000%
[doublepost=1469735839][/doublepost]
I understand what you're saying but let's not go crazy here. Just the sight of the stock UI for a matter of a minute is completely unacceptable to you? Come on.

Yeah. The sight of someone using a stock iOS home screen with those big gross icons makes me think they're using a children's toy.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
If it aint broke I dont try to fix it:D

I'm thinking the same, I'm Jailbroken on iOS 8.4 on my iPhone 6 and I was considering upgrading to 9.3.3 and I even posted a thread asking for opinions on wether or not to update. I have now come to the conclusion that 1) I'm better staying on 8.4 and 2) that people didn't want to contribute to my thread :p

I have ordered a 6s 128gb for two reasons, one I prefer space grey(my iP6 is silver) and two I can buy it now and then under UK law I can decide to return it up to 14 days and from then I have 30 days to send it back so that will give me 40 days to try this Jailbreak.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009

I echo these remarks. 6s on 9.02 with Safari install and no issues re - jb after reboot. no nightly rebooting either.

Last edited:

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I am perfectly fine with 9.1 JB, but if a fully untethered JB comes out then I will upgrade.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
I was on 9.0.2 and moved to 9.3.3 using safari. calling it semi tethered is misleading... where is the tether? if and when I need to reboot be it from installing a tweak or for whatever reason, i go to the PP app, I hit the button I wait like 20secs... please explain to me the tether.... I don't have to do it on a mac or computer or anything like that it is all on the phone so it is practically untethered...

the drama queens who are bitching about that....are crazy.. now if I had to go to computer to do anything... now that's a diff story, it is self contained on the phone, not a problem for me.

Reactions: Snide

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I am perfectly fine with 9.1 JB, but if a fully untethered JB comes out then I will upgrade.

Me too!
[doublepost=1469981339][/doublepost]
I was on 9.0.2 and moved to 9.3.3 using safari. calling it semi tethered is misleading... where is the tether? if and when I need to reboot be it from installing a tweak or for whatever reason, i go to the PP app, I hit the button I wait like 20secs... please explain to me the tether.... I don't have to do it on a mac or computer or anything like that it is all on the phone so it is practically untethered...

the drama queens who are bitching about that....are crazy.. now if I had to go to computer to do anything... now that's a diff story, it is self contained on the phone, not a problem for me.

"The drama queens bitching" ??? My guess is those who say it's no big deal were not previously jailbroken. It's a huge deal, especially if you use any UI tweaks. I can't imagine if every time the phone rebooted I had to "start" jailbreak mode in order to get all of my tweaks back. It's basically like your phone having dual boot but only having a choice to boot to safe mode each time, and having to manually go in and enable jailbreak mode every time. There's nothing the least bit appealing about that.

I say this having 2 JB'd iPhone 6S Plus, and an iPad Mini 4 which I got after JB window was over It's on iOS 10 DP2, and I downgraded to iOS 9.3.3 and jailbroke. After a couple reboots to see what it's like, I said screw this, not worth it, un-jailbroke and then went back to iOS 10. Would rather be stock than to have a half-baked solution on my device. Maybe 5 years ago when jailbreaking brought huge benefits, but now when it's more just small tweaks, not worth having to do the app every time to re-enable tweaks.

But maybe if I was justifying my device because I wasn't jailbroken before I'd be blindly defending a semi tethered jailbreak (the reason they call it that is that it's not truly an untethered jailbreak which requires no injection, but maybe the more appropriate name should be an "attended" jailbreak, since it needs to be tended to frequently). People tend to defend things as good when they have no other options because they look at it as their only option so they have to say it's amazing (ie people with bad credit blindly defending how "amazing" TMOBILE reception is).
[doublepost=1469981510][/doublepost]

And then there is that... oh but the responses are pouring in from those so defensive.... "Just use a dummy apple ID" .... "just use an apple ID without billing info" .... "use an old apple ID" blah blah blah. Why should I have to not be able to use one of the primary features of the Apple Ecosystem because a BAD jailbreak is released?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

The technical term is semi tethered.
Because it's obviously not fully untethered. If you need to do anything after restarting the phone its NOT untethered whether you agree with the term or not.
And for many that have to keep repeating that process using the computer every week it's a hassle.
Not everyone got in on time to get the full 1 year certificate.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
The technical term is semi tethered.
Because it's obviously not fully untethered. If you need to do anything after restarting the phone its NOT untethered whether you agree with the term or not.
And for many that have to keep repeating that process using the computer every week it's a hassle.
Not everyone got in on time to get the full 1 year certificate.

I still like my "attended jailbreak" term better, hehehehe. However I agree with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.