Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Just found this tonight…

A quick search on the PowerPC subforum indicates it was used there in the past, mostly on Linux it would seem. I think I might have used it on my own PowerPC Macs, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, 10.13 and above. On top player and a compact player. Continues playing when outside the app. So, this has basically eliminated having to use two browsers for me.

Just tossing it out there - if you use it or have used it, just ignore me.

PS. I bought it, but there is a demo. No idea how long the demo lasts.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm tempted: it costs less than 10 Euros and consumes lower system overheads than a web browser.

@eyoungren You whetted my appetite so I followed your lead and paid for the registered version. :D

cLMYn9o.png

On top player and a compact player. Continues playing when outside the app.

Yeah! Pretty neat, isn't it?

hepnDoy.png

NuapGWu.png

niT5ECF.png

So, this has basically eliminated having to use two browsers for me.

This has negated the need for me to use a browser at all on my 11" 2GB 2010 C2D MBA if I want to view YouTube content. Imagine how much RAM and CPU cycles are saved on such a modestly specced machine by going this route? Especially given that you no longer have to contend with waiting for videos to play whilst the ad-blocker works in the background to thwart Google's efforts to hoist unwanted commercials on you. A much lighter surfing session beckons.

It also means that no matter what the future holds for our access to YouTube at the browser level, we'll always be able to view whichever content we please and without the results being relayed to Google and their friends for data mining. There are so many positive implications here.

Just tossing it out there - if you use it or have used it, just ignore me.

PS. I bought it, but there is a demo. No idea how long the demo lasts.

Thanks for tossing it out here. I'm a convert. The functionality is impressive: you can copy and paste or share the URL's onto social media accounts and I've been able to use this option to send stuff to JDownloader that I'd like to keep. It's a pity that there's no avenue to sign in with your YouTube account because it means that I'll have to add my subscriptions manually but all in all, these are minor gripes.

Oh and a tremendous bonus is that you never, ever again need to see the asinine comments that pervade 99% of YT's comments sections. :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
@eyoungren You whetted my appetite so I followed your lead and paid for the registered version. :D

cLMYn9o.png

Yeah! Pretty neat, isn't it?

hepnDoy.png

NuapGWu.png

niT5ECF.png

This has negated the need for me to use a browser at all on my 11" 2GB 2010 C2D MBA if I want to view YouTube content. Imagine how much RAM and CPU cycles are saved on such a modestly specced machine by going this route? Especially given that you no longer have to contend with waiting for videos to play whilst the ad-blocker works in the background to thwart Google's efforts to hoist unwanted commercials on you. A much lighter surfing session beckons.

It also means that no matter what the future holds for our access to YouTube at the browser level, we'll always be able to view whichever content we please and without the results being relayed to Google and their friends for data mining. There are so many positive implications here.

Thanks for tossing it out here. I'm a convert. The functionality is impressive: you can copy and paste or share the URL's onto social media accounts and I've been able to use this option to send stuff to JDownloader that I'd like to keep. It's a pity that there's no avenue to sign in with your YouTube account because it means that I'll have to add my subscriptions manually but all in all, these are minor gripes.

Oh and a tremendous bonus is that you never, ever again need to see the asinine comments that pervade 99% of YT's comments sections. :D
Yeah, I thought it was worth the ~$11.50 I paid for it. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damned good. Sometimes my news feed in Flipboard links to good Mac app articles and that's how I ran in to it.

I'm pretty happy with it. Glad you found it useful!

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Downloaded the linux build and am running it on Ubuntu 22.04.3. It works pretty well on this 2008 early Intel hardware.
Screenshot from 2024-01-04 13-42-14.png

It did do this weird thing where when I searched for Action retro, it hung for a few moments causing a not responding wait/close popup to show up but it did work while I was considering whether to wait or not :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.