Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I just want to confirm something about this. It doesn't support HD content but does that mean it won't output at HD levels or that it can't read HD files to convert? I've got the Miglia TVMini HD which writes everything to mpeg2. Can I use turbo.264 to convert my HD quality MPEG2 files to standard definition h.264 files? I suspect not but converting them on my Mac Mini has been killing me. I'm looking for something to help with the conversion and this would have been killer.

I haven't tried any HD resolution files yet, but I suspect the Turbo.264 will handle it. It doesn't seem to be picky about what files you feed into it -- you just don't have any control over the file that comes out; you have to use whatever its default settings are. The thing to do would be to feed some files of various resolutions into it, then open the resulting H.264 files in Quicktime and 'get info' on them to see what they come out as. If I get time I'll try to do that and post some results, or maybe someone else can beat me to it.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
I just want to confirm something about this. It doesn't support HD content but does that mean it won't output at HD levels or that it can't read HD files to convert? I've got the Miglia TVMini HD which writes everything to mpeg2. Can I use turbo.264 to convert my HD quality MPEG2 files to standard definition h.264 files? I suspect not but converting them on my Mac Mini has been killing me. I'm looking for something to help with the conversion and this would have been killer.

It supports 4 export formats. AppleTV, and iPod High, iPod standard, Sony PSP. It will export at the highest resolution relative to the source to the resolution that would preserve it on the destination. Thus if the source is 1920 x 1080p, true HD, you'll get 1080i. If your source is anything less 720 x 480 is the most likely export, or whatever is less. Of course that's assuming the format you have is supported by the Turbo H.264 software to begin with. Send an e-mail to support@elgato.com and ask them if your format is supported.

To have true scale conversation, you'll want MPEGStreamclip together with Apple's MPEG2 Playback component. MPEGStreamclip supports numerous AppleTV converted format scale conversion levels once the video is in MPEG-4 for AppleTV, which is H.264.

topher5

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
Got a response back from Elgato (damn, they were quick in their response). Here's the important part of their response:

Your exports from Turbo.264 will never be HDTV. 800 x 600 is the maximum.

Give it your HDTV recordings, and you'll get back a lower resolution file that will look nice with Apple TV, widescreen and all.

So it sounds like it will work with the HD recordings, just spit back out SD files. Not perfect but for what I need I'm willing to try it out. I'll post back later with results.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Just got mine going, but I'm hitting the same wall with DVD's containing multiple features... If anyone figures it out, I'd love to hear it.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Well, I just threw $20 at the Quicktime MPEG2 module and I can open the VOBs in Quicktime and spit them out through the ElGato codec, but it's not the easiest thing. Many of the episodes appear to be broken up among multiple files, and QT chokes if I try to drag a stack of vobs onto it's icon...

I can also open the Video_TS folder in iMovie, but it takes forever because I have to transcode it into another format (such as DV).

I'm still looking for an easier way (maybe Automator?), but figured I'd post this much in case it gave someone else an idea.

[Edit: Like every other useful function, Quicktime export isn't included in Automator]

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Elgato Problem

anyone know why every time I use the turbo 264 the mp4 files seem to be missing frame and slow down during some scenes?

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
anyone know why every time I use the turbo 264 the mp4 files seem to be missing frame and slow down during some scenes?

Yeah it's a glitch I emailed Elgato and they gave me a link to the Newest Beta of the App, which seems to have fixed that issue. Send me your email adress and I'll email it to you.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
they just emailed me as well. Is it the 1.0.2b15 build? Hopefully we both have the latest.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Now I'm having some problem where the conversion fails. Weird. I'm emailing back and forth with an Elgato rep. Only happens at the very end of some conversions.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Now I'm having some problem where the conversion fails. Weird. I'm emailing back and forth with an Elgato rep. Only happens at the very end of some conversions.

Me too, so let me know what they say. I tried to do the 3rd season of Deadwood and it does that using the Aplle TV Profile toward the end of the encode. Other things I've done is fine, something tells me the App was work in progress when they released it.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
So, um... whatever happened to the whole using the video card to accelerate video exporting? Wasn't ATI saying you could use their cards for physics computation and other floating point math...?

I have a feeling that my 600 mhz video card is faster than whatever they put in that little thing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.