Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
For context, I have a first gen Apple TV 4K, and first gen stereo paired Homepods. Everything is updated to the latest version.

I was very excited to try this feature, but for some reason is misbehaving for me.

On apps that DOES NOT use Apple native A/V player, and only offer low quality stereo sound, like SkyShowtime, this does what is supposed to do, and make the audio and voices so much loud and clear. Is fantastic, because the untouched audio stream sounds very low and compressed and this helps a lot.

But on apps that use Apple native A/V player, and have 5.1 and Atmos content (like Netflix, Disney+, and Apple own apps), enabling this makes the voices sightly lower and muffled instead of louder. It does not make any sense.

Also, every now and then it will make the audio stream echo every few seconds, and to fix it, I have to exit and restart the playback.

It´s frustrating because, as it is right now, I cannot leave it enabled all the time, which is what I intended to do.

Any ideas?. Anyone else having issues?

Thanks in advance.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Just tried it again using the trailer of Five Days at Memorial (Apple TV+), and the episode 1 of the fall of the house of usher on Netflix.

In both cases it made the background sounds and music lower, but the voices lower as well.

I´m completely lost.

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the native Apple A/V player but I find different apps on the Apple TV box do have different outcomes with the Enhanced Dialogue feature enabled. For example, the Amazon Prime app with Enhanced Dialogue enabled I barely have to have the HomePods turned up at all, whereas the Netflix app I have to turn the volume up more even with Enhanced Dialogue on. Both apps seem to work well with the feature though, just different volume strengths on the HomePod/Audio volume bar.

Just to add, I have HomePods Gen 2 for what it's worth as I see you have Gen 1 and I know Apple just added the Enhanced Dialogue feature to the Gen 1s.

• Love
Reactions: B/D

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the native Apple A/V player but I find different apps on the Apple TV box do have different outcomes with the Enhanced Dialogue feature enabled. For example, the Amazon Prime app with Enhanced Dialogue enabled I barely have to have the HomePods turned up at all, whereas the Netflix app I have to turn the volume up more even with Enhanced Dialogue on. Both apps seem to work well with the feature though, just different volume strengths on the HomePod/Audio volume bar.

Just to add, I have HomePods Gen 2 for what it's worth as I see you have Gen 1 and I know Apple just added the Enhanced Dialogue feature to the Gen 1s.

The native one that appears (when it comes to change audio or subtitles during video playback) on Apple own streaming apps or Netflix. Is different from the one that Amazon uses, for example.

It´s weird. For me, on Netflix or Apple TV+ for example, Enhanced Dialogue it´s making background sound effects and music lower, yes, but voices lower as well. Is specially noticeable at louder volumes, where it sounds kind of muffled.

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
It seems to be working fine for me overall with my 2021 ATV 4K & OG HomePods. I barely have to have the volume turned up at all now. I'll check on an app by app basis though. Will check Netflix later today to see if it's the same for me.

• Love
Reactions: B/D
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.