Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
No problem. Just day to day things, trying to save a file and them email it, manipulating files on my server, downloading torrents, remote access, managing my iTunes library. Not necessarily typical things mainly, but tasks I would do regularly that would take much more time or steps than needed. I was the biggest proponent of the iPad being the future of the computing, but in its current state I see it as a large iPhone. Maybe one day they will progress the OS to be something useful, but that's not today.

Interesting that these are the things I do on a daily basis with my iPad Pro. Course, when I'm managing the iTunes library, it's me remote desktoping into my "server" at home. As for bittorrenting, I'm very anti-pirating, so I use it very sparingly. And that can easily be done on my home server, same way I deal with my iTunes library. So.. Yeah, I almost never touch the server or my laptops anymore..

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting that these are the things I do on a daily basis with my iPad Pro. Course, when I'm managing the iTunes library, it's me remote desktoping into my "server" at home. As for bittorrenting, I'm very anti-pirating, so I use it very sparingly. And that can easily be done on my home server, same way I deal with my iTunes library. So.. Yeah, I almost never touch the server or my laptops anymore..

Yea, I was able to do it also. And for a while I thought I could go iOS only, but I just felt that I was somewhat limited. I do, however perform all of the same tasks on my 7 plus when I don't have access to my MacBook.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Nothing about a traditional laptop design is ergonomic. Read an ergonomics site.
And many enlightened offices are moving away from the sitting at a desk all day mindset, because frankly it's killing their workforce.

Small "buttons", deep text menus, and overdense screen information are probably not the best way to present information to human beings. Again, like laptops, the design reflects engineering decisions, not ergonomics or optimal productivity.

Many people say they prefer the simplified presentation of iOS apps, and find they're more productive in them. I'm thinking of writers especially.

And iOS apps are often deceptively "simple". Complex functionality is often a long-press away. There is a learning curve.
The problem some people have in doubting tablets could ever replace laptops and desktops is that they won't think outside the box. They can only imagine people sitting at a desk all day with their necks bent forward or their arms raised in the air trying to use a tablet because sitting at a desk all day is what they do now. They say tablets can't be as functional because they imagine their current desktop setup and UI trying to work on a touchscreen with tiny buttons instead of imagining a brand new UI designed specifically for touch.

The problem some people have with this is a lack of true imagination.

halfnhalf03

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
The problem some people have in doubting tablets could ever replace laptops and desktops is that they won't think outside the box. They can only imagine people sitting at a desk all day with their necks bent forward or their arms raised in the air trying to use a tablet because sitting at a desk all day is what they do now. They say tablets can't be as functional because they imagine their current desktop setup and UI trying to work on a touchscreen with tiny buttons instead of imagining a brand new UI designed specifically for touch.

The problem some people have with this is a lack of true imagination.
Serious question. How do I avoid using it like a laptop? Just use the software keyboard and lay it flat on my desk?

Reactions: DNichter

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Haha you think someone sitting at a desk bent over looking and pecking away at a tablet on their lap is more productive then sitting upright typing on a laptop or desktop?

Not at a desk. On sofa, in bed, at a coffee shop, on train/bus....

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What if I have no way to prop my legs up because I'm sitting in a chair

Smart Cover or other stands / cushions.

I just don't see typing on a tablet, anywhere, as more productive than a laptop.

I admit it's not MORE productive than a laptop, but it lets you work in more places than just at a desk. I know some people actually use laptops on their laps, and for those people, I can see how iPads don't offer them any advantages. But if you are like me and never found it comfortable to use a laptop on my lap, then iPads increased my productivity because I can work away from my desk.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Smart Cover or other stands / cushions.

I admit it's not MORE productive than a laptop, but it lets you work in more places than just at a desk. I know some people actually use laptops on their laps, and for those people, I can see how iPads don't offer them any advantages. But if you are like me and never found it comfortable to use a laptop on my lap, then iPads increased my productivity because I can work away from my desk.

I see your point, but I think the 12 inch rMB is very close to accomplishing this. I take it everywhere and find that I am able to take it out and use it almost anywhere. I do suppose that if you just can't get comfortable using it on your lap, then a tablet is the way to go.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I see your point, but I think the 12 inch rMB is very close to accomplishing this. I take it everywhere and find that I am able to take it out and use it almost anywhere. I do suppose that if you just can't get comfortable using it on your lap, then a tablet is the way to go.

I might consider the 12 inch MacBook if I had to type more. Right now, 95% of my computer time is reading. And I've gotten pretty fast with the software keyboard. All of my MacRumors posts are typed on my iPad.

Reactions: Channan

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Serious question. How do I avoid using it like a laptop? Just use the software keyboard and lay it flat on my desk?
That's what I do. Or thumb typing. Or swiping. Or dictation.

I might consider the 12 inch MacBook if I had to type more. Right now, 95% of my computer time is reading. And I've gotten pretty fast with the software keyboard. All of my MacRumors posts are typed on my iPad.
I don't think I've even come on this site on my MacBook Pro. Maybe once or twice. At least 99% of my time here is on my iPhone, iPad, or Galaxy S7 Edge and at least half of that on my iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not at a desk. On sofa, in bed, at a coffee shop, on train/bus....

I was tasked with being the emcee for an event. I have been using my iPad pro to refer to the script, which is saved in Google docs. The iPad Pro is light enough that I am able to hold it for hours on end without feeling tired. I also love the form factor, which allows me to make real time edits to the script as they come in.

This would not have been possible with a conventional laptop.

The long battery life also meant it was able to last the entire duration of the rehearsal (about three hours) and still have plenty of juice left for me to use when I get home.

Not everyone's job involves them being stuck behind a desk all day.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
So I've used my iPP exclusively for a little while now and I've come to some conclusions that even I found surprising.

On the positive end of the spectrum:
  • The battery life, if you avoid graphically intensive work, is fantastic. 10+ hours of screen time always thus far. On a normal day I plug in with 30% or more before I go to bed. If I manage to have time for a game, it can handle it as a result.
  • Overall the ergonomics of using the device are very good. It's light, comfortable to hold for long periods of time, and will rest in rather comfortable positions for pretty much any work.
  • Boy is it a fast machine. The ram limit is noticeable in Safari but otherwise everything is pretty well instantaneous
  • Having a single focus workflow works well for me as a writer, for the times I need two stuff open most of the apps I like to use will work with split screen, this includes OneNote, Safari, Pythonista, Word, and Excel.
  • The screen is the best I've seen on pretty well any device I've owned and while it's small it makes up for the lack of physical real estate by being able to render small texts and objects sharply enough it's not an issue. The speakers are miles ahead of what I've got on my MacBook Pro and my little cheap Bose Bluetooth bathroom speaker. This makes it one of the best stand alone media consumption devices I've used. Small screen movies in bed has never looked or sounded so good.
  • Pencil is great. I'm no artist really but it's well made, supported, and very responsive and accurate.
  • Tethering blah blah having LTE everywhere built into the device is lovely.
Middling but livable experiences:
  • Over time I've grown far more comfortable with the software keyboard and trusting autocorrect to do its job properly but that doesn't mean that it's a great solution. It's a particularly cumbersome process in Pythonista although there are some tricks that help. Cursor positioning has gotten better with two finger selection but I feel like there is still a lot of room for improvement on the software end. Also having a keyboard that's a bit tiny still fill half your screen any time you need to use it is really a bit cumbersome.
  • While many apps have become full featured, such as OneNote and Pythonista; many others like Word and Photoshop are still limited in their features. This is usually not an issue for me - I handle citations manually and I'm an amateur photographer at best but, I can see how that might be a deal breaker for some.
  • You have to work around iOS. It will not conform to your 20 years of developed preconceived standards of how computers work and that can be stressful and bewildering and a big pain in the ass. A deep breath and a willingness to work how iOS thinks you should relieves this pretty well but I hardly blame people who find this to be the biggest deal breaker because almost everything doesn't work the way it normally would in a desktop OS. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Probably both.
The ugly:
  • There are some things there just aren't easy work arounds or apps for and so you might be screwed. I specifically have an issue with how iOS handles files. I have two file systems between iCloud and Dropbox and I have to use them interchangeably as work demands and that frankly sucks. There's nothing okay or good about something working this way in 2016. I understand the desire for sandbox apps. That's fine, and you know, the Mac even supports them now. I don't see why, on Apples end or on the users, it's not demanded that proper cloud support be included with modern apps. I shouldn't have to 'import' stuff to word then export and replace and then have three billion copies. iCloud should be able to work offline and apps that support it should be able to load and save directly to those files, period. I don't need Finder or a complex file system. I do need something that just works in the way a person reasonably would expect it to. This is the number one issue that makes me frustrated with iOS on a day to day basis. I seriously believe that this would solve most people's workflow issues with iOS. I can tolerate it in my life but to claim it isn't a problem is bogus.
Meanwhile, I find the pros outweigh the annoyances on a day to day basis. I don't miss hauling around my laptop. I'm finding myself yearning for an iMac though in its place, although I really don't need either. So yes, the iPad has become a laptop replacement in my life where 6 years ago it simply couldn't be. It has the speed, the storage, the battery life and most of the software. That isn't to say it's without compromise and a serious learning curve however and I honestly feel like most of that is still on Apple.

It's been an interesting experience for sure. I'd caution anybody to research fully and with an open mind if they want to try it. That's what I did and I still found it to be a less than painless experience and in the end that's the most damning thing about switching. Until Apple can make it a relatively painless transition, it won't ever happen on a massive scale. At least until us old school computing people die out and make way for the touch-screen taught youngins. :p

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
My usage is around 70:30 in iPad's Pro 9.7 favour with my rMBP15 2014. I love it but it could never replace those 30% tho.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
My usage is around 70:30 in iPad's Pro 9.7 favour with my rMBP15 2014. I love it but it could never replace those 30% tho.
Never say never. We don't know where computing will be 20 years from now

asahiart

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Uk
I have been thinking about moving into the area of tablet hand held screen for some time now, rather than sit at a desk top (also like interaction on screen for editing)

Big down side of tablet in mac is the operating system too restrictive, including the applications, simple example try and find a movie editor that can provide two or three time lines (Cute has 2), try and connect say air drop with a desk top to grab some images, probably will work on some but not on others, the tablets feel too restrictive for the price it is just a tablet with limited OS and limited programs, other options are out their (PC does have one with pen included, pen recharge time claims 2 years by users ! Has OS system which means you can run all applications no restrictions. IE After Effects etc.)

Huawei even have a far cheaper alternative, includes the pen

http://consumer.huawei.com/uk/tablets/mediapad-m2-10-uk/stylus.htm

So if your after a tablet for simple run of the mill, I suggest stay away from an over priced tablet which is on par with the price of a laptop (which has a OS a proper OS system) the Huawei you can replace in another 2 years or less and it will have improved, mac your probably change ( see when you last changed) say every 4 years to 5 years, so its way old by 4 years, but at a £1,000 price in UK your probably going to hold onto the item.

Horses for courses gut feeling were not their yet in specs, me I like a A3 tablet with proper OS, a pen included, which needs no batteries (like a wacom tablet I had no batteries) zero restrictions on passing files to and from where i like no issues just air drop to any PC or mac tablet it works job done.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Since simple Apps like Apple's iWork Suite don't have the same robustness in iOS as they do in OS ... the day is still along way off for iPads to be the main machine.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
  • I shouldn't have to 'import' stuff to word then export and replace and then have three billion copies...

You don't have to import anything to MS Word. Put your Word docs in OneDrive, it's free. You can open, edit, and save them from your OneDrive exactly like you would on a desktop computer.

As for your complaint about being unable to do offline work with an iPad, that's really on an app by app basis. But is it really so unreasonable to assume ubiquitous internet access on a modern device? Even Windows assumes this now.
[doublepost=1479643295][/doublepost]
Since simple Apps like Apple's iWork Suite don't have the same robustness in iOS as they do in OS ... the day is still along way off for iPads to be the main machine.

Apple practically abandoned iWork years ago, that's not a good measure of anything. I find very little lacking in Microsoft's Office applications in iOS. Certainly nothing the typical user is going to miss.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
This dual-ipad setup is a concept that has intrigued me ever since I read about it somewhere else. Smaller iPad for when I am on the move, larger iPad for when I am at the desk. It's definitely overkill for my needs, but darn if it is isn't a sexy concept...

Yeah. I think it's redundant too. Hopefully with a 10.5 incher, rumored, it'll fix the need for a bigger iPad. In addition, that YouTube channel has a lot of tips iPad productivity.

Reactions: M. Gustave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.