Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e3493

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
I have a 13 inch late 2008 macbook that works ok, but can be slow and laggy at times. Sometimes it takes a few clicks before the mouse will actually click on what your trying to click on and sometimes the pinwheel shows up for a minute or two. The computer has the 2.4 GHz processor and 2 GB of memory. I have completely reinstalled Snow Leopard and recently upgraded that to Yosemite. Disk Utility says my hard drive is fine. I accepted a new job where I need my own laptop, so it is necessary for me to use the laptop again or buy a new one. I don't want to ditch my current macbook if I don't have to since it is in good shape and works, its just too slow for me to do daily work on. Is there anything that I can do to make it run like it use to when it was newer, or have I got my use out of it and it is time to upgrade?

Thanks

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
If security isn't exactly too big of an issue, turn off filevault, decrypting and encrypting constantly would slow things down, especially on a hard drive.

I'm guessing it's the hard drive that's the bottleneck. Maybe a fresh install? Still have those install discs? Maybe a new drive will help a lot. Take the least expensive options first before you do any hardware upgrade, you may just prefer to get a new machine if you know you'll benefit from using it daily.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The two things that would make a world of difference and make it seem like a new computer, in comparison, are replacing the HDD with a SSD and upgrading the RAM.

There were two different Late 2008 MacBook models, the Polycarbonate MacBook 4,1 and Aluminum MacBook 5,1. Since you have Yosemite installed I am going to assume that you have the Aluminum MacBook 5,1.

You can get a Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD for $100. You are only running 2GB RAM and the MacBook 5,1 that you have will support up to 8GB RAM. 2x4GB of DDR2 goes for around $200.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have a 13 inch late 2008 macbook that works ok, but can be slow and laggy at times. Sometimes it takes a few clicks before the mouse will actually click on what your trying to click on and sometimes the pinwheel shows up for a minute or two. The computer has the 2.4 GHz processor and 2 GB of memory. I have completely reinstalled Snow Leopard and recently upgraded that to Yosemite. Disk Utility says my hard drive is fine. I accepted a new job where I need my own laptop, so it is necessary for me to use the laptop again or buy a new one. I don't want to ditch my current macbook if I don't have to since it is in good shape and works, its just too slow for me to do daily work on. Is there anything that I can do to make it run like it use to when it was newer, or have I got my use out of it and it is time to upgrade?

Thanks

Replace your HDD with an SSD, as it's an old SATA connector go with a cheap SSD I'd reccomend the Crucial BX100 for that particular model another 2 GB of RAM will definitely help as well.

SSD's
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=BX100

RAM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...GB+RAM+DDR2+1066&rh=i:aps,k:4GB+RAM+DDR2+1066

You could do it for under a $100 but $150 will give you a more decent SSD size.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.