Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Steve said during his WWDC keynote that iChat AV was built on open standards so others could make it compatible with iChat AV and iSight. Do you think these features will be implemented in a newer version of AOL IM? If not it's too bad...this is a great technology but at the moment I'm limited to conferencing with just 3 or 4 people out of the 27 on my buddy list.

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
Aol has wanted to impiment A/V into its iming software but due to, leagal issues they were not able to, but now due to the aol/microsoft partnership. They should be able to implement it now, but when is the question. I think i read it somewhere don't remember where, but they they want to impliment it as soon as they are legaly able to.

-Neal

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I think they are talking more about Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). It is a standard way to implement things like voice over IP, presence, and other IM like things. That is how Apple's iChat AV does the video and audio thing.

What I am hoping for is that I will be able to place phone calls from iChat AV via a SIP gateway at work (a computer hooked up to the phone system that can bridge between IP and POTS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.