Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klopsi69

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
I've been trying to set up my aol email account to work through my OSX mail application, receiving messages works great, but it doesn't seem to be able to send them at all!!
Can anyone help? I've tried the settings from the aol help page, and the help page doesn't help!
If it makes any difference, i'm in the uk.

Thanks,
Phil

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Klopsi69 said:
I've been trying to set up my aol email account to work through my OSX mail application, receiving messages works great, but it doesn't seem to be able to send them at all!!
Can anyone help? I've tried the settings from the aol help page, and the help page doesn't help!
If it makes any difference, i'm in the uk.

Thanks,
Phil
Um-m-m, no. You're wrong about that. If you follow the instructions, AOL Mail works fine Apple's Mail client..

Klopsi69

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
helpful as that reply wasn't , I should have made it more clear that i have tried the settings from the aol help page, and scoured google, but cannot figure out why i can send but not receive. I have tried altering the server port etc. but nothing seems to help.

Has anyone found some quirky setting that needs to be activated or anything? :(

I am on a university LAN if it makes any difference.

Klopsi69

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
i guess the server messed up for u too! lol

glad it's not just me. maybe someone can help us out...?

:eek:

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
if you wil post your settings, maybe we can help. I have aol setup and it works great, but I followed the instructions from macworld. I can't seem to find the link right now, but I will look and if I find I'll post it later. I'll check when I get home and get on my computer what settings I have and I'll compare them to what you post.

McCord9

Suspended
Mar 5, 2003
New York City
settings

jermsmingy said:
if you wil post your settings, maybe we can help. I have aol setup and it works great, but I followed the instructions from macworld. I can't seem to find the link right now, but I will look and if I find I'll post it later. I'll check when I get home and get on my computer what settings I have and I'll compare them to what you post.

im using stmp.aol.com for my outgoing, port 587, am i doing something wrong?

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
I'm not home right now so, I can't be certain, but I know that you must use authentication for outgoing mail, you need to go to the smtp options and select use authentication and type in your user name and password. The port 587 is right though.

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
actually, if you are using STMP.AOL.COM, you ARE doing something wrong (should be smtp.aol.com, but that was probably just a typo)

make sure it's also password protected, that screwed me up when I was having this problem, but yours may be something different, and in that case, I'm sorry but I cannot help.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Alternatively you can use your outgoing smtp server through your university (or for others, whatever high speed connection ISP you have). You can still send from your AOL address but you don't even have to be signed into aol to send.

Klopsi69

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
hmmm...

I use those settings, and i still can't send. Just to confirm, I am not signed in to aol, but am simply accessing these servers over my uni's lan>internet access.

It sounds as though some are using the mail.app when also signed in to aol?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.