Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Anyone know how it runs on the older G3s?

I learned recently that my grandmother (I havent seen her in a long time), has been using an 11 year old computer for checking her emails, and its starting to bite the dust.

All I know is that she has AOL.

I'd like to move her to something more modern, and I have a few of these iMacs, and I can also get easily a 1.0-1.5 GHz PC for her too, but I thought the iMacs would be nicer and easier for her, as well as they look damned cool. :D

Thanks guys. :) I've never personally used AOL.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Yea, I had to put aol on my mother's ibook 500, its fine. Heck I used to use AOL on a quadra 650, 68040, running system 7, through a 14.4 modem. It worked great 15 years ago. Old people will put up with old hardware for a long time. You might get another 11 years out of that imac.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It's really not about the computer as it is the connection. Dial up is slow but ok for aol email and very limited browsing. DSL or broadband is much better. AOL for OSX and AOL through the web will both run fine on that machine though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.