Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Hello,

I just had this small question,like in iPhoto,you go in preferences and uncheck the box so it does not copy the photos in it's own library,ain't a similar option there in aperture ?

I looked around but could not find it.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hello,

I just had this small question,like in iPhoto,you go in preferences and uncheck the box so it does not copy the photos in it's own library,ain't a similar option there in aperture ?

I looked around but could not find it.

When you Import, there is a selection on the right side of the import menu that let's you select where the image is stored, the Aperture library or where the image is located. It is not in Preferences.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
In aperture... there are two basic choices:

Managed originals: stored inside of Aperture's library
Referenced originals: stored where ever you want them

You can mix and match. Be careful if you use referenced originals (or the iPhoto equivalent). If you muck around with your pictures outside of the program (Aperture or iPhoto)... you may confuse your library.

Personally... I have not found a valid reason to ever use my originals manually outside of Aperture. If I want some photos for some specific purpose... I export the pics and use them externally... without messing with my Aperture library.

/Jim

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
When you Import, there is a selection on the right side of the import menu that let's you select where the image is stored, the Aperture library or where the image is located. It is not in Preferences.

In aperture... there are two basic choices:

Managed originals: stored inside of Aperture's library
Referenced originals: stored where ever you want them

You can mix and match. Be careful if you use referenced originals (or the iPhoto equivalent). If you muck around with your pictures outside of the program (Aperture or iPhoto)... you may confuse your library.

Personally... I have not found a valid reason to ever use my originals manually outside of Aperture. If I want some photos for some specific purpose... I export the pics and use them externally... without messing with my Aperture library.

/Jim

Thank You,and I myself prefer to keep pictures inside aperture's library,I just asked out of curiosity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.