Aperture and iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by AnorexicPig, Feb 18, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Hello,

I just had this small question,like in iPhoto,you go in preferences and uncheck the box so it does not copy the photos in it's own library,ain't a similar option there in aperture ?

I looked around but could not find it.

2. macrumors 68020

When you Import, there is a selection on the right side of the import menu that let's you select where the image is stored, the Aperture library or where the image is located. It is not in Preferences.

3. macrumors 68040

In aperture... there are two basic choices:

Managed originals: stored inside of Aperture's library
    Referenced originals: stored where ever you want them

You can mix and match. Be careful if you use referenced originals (or the iPhoto equivalent). If you muck around with your pictures outside of the program (Aperture or iPhoto)... you may confuse your library.

Personally... I have not found a valid reason to ever use my originals manually outside of Aperture. If I want some photos for some specific purpose... I export the pics and use them externally... without messing with my Aperture library.

/Jim

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank You,and I myself prefer to keep pictures inside aperture's library,I just asked out of curiosity.