Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Anything that battles the mobileOS duopoly and what Apostrophy offer, it's admirable.

I wish them success.

If you're unsure about them, the hardware and all, here's an alternative that exists already and is successful

• GrapheneOS does the privacy thing already + no subscription required.
  • App compatibility exists too, if required even Google Play Services/Play Store.
  • Pixel phones (and tablet) is the broadly available hardware
  • the newer hardware get 5-7 years of security updates - often before Google publishes them.
  • Pixel phones have decent specs and excellent cameras
  • If you want to sell your hardware or return to the stock Google Pixel experience, you can reset it to factory settings and stock Android/Pixel OS.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The “Carbon Reduction dials” sounds nice.

I doubt this OS will take off to be anything substantial, but I wouldn’t mind if Google rips this feature for Android.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
The biggest problem with Apostophy is Punkt. If they still can't get their dumbphone OS to work right after all these years, who'd gamble on their smartphone?

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
Nice to see this but definitely won’t be a major player. Seems like something for tech needs but not really the typical consumer.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
There needs to be a true 3rd option and not something based on android just like Windows Phone/Windows Mobile back in the day...

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
There needs to be a true 3rd option and not something based on android just like Windows Phone/Windows Mobile back in the day...
What would be the purpose of the 3rd option?

in regular computers, there are three main operating systems:

Windows: This is the defacto consumer operating system
MacOS: For people who either like integration with Apple products, or for security.
Linux: For robustness and reliability when serving up files to client computers.

For smart cell phones, there are only two:

iOS: For people who either like integration with Apple products, or for security.
Android: For people who like customization, or people who are too cheap to buy an Apple product

What would be the differentiation of the third product?

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
What would be the differentiation of the third product?
If Windows Mobile will be coming back, integration with Windows on par with iOS and macOS

I'm just saying that if they are going to make a 3rd mobile operating system, they should not base it on android since it does not make sense... They create another option but still based on android, then it will still be iOS and android...

We already have different versions/touches to android, Google, Samsung, and every other smartphone manufacturer... But in the end, they are all based on android...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.