Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
A few years ago I attempted to digitize roughly 200 vinyl records. I had a NAD Preamp and used various apps. The only issue was editing the tracks from each able and meta-tagging them. As it would have taken forever I decided on bailing.

Are there any app's that are better suited for such a project? App's that can automatically detect breaks in the record, auto-separate and tag the tracks?

Kenaudio

macrumors member
May 6, 2012
Europe
Are there any app's that are better suited for such a project? App's that can automatically detect breaks in the record, auto-separate and tag the tracks?

Good question - I would do that manually with logic or a protools light version because I would like to have total control over the gaps between the songs etc.
For tagging and bouncing to different formats I use MAX.

Let me know if that works for you!

Cheers,
Keno

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The program "Spin Doctor" that comes bundles with "toast" tries to do what you ask but it makes mistakes and you have to fix them up. It can also apply the RIAA equalization so you don't need a phono preamp. But ripping vinyl is a manual process. Not at all as easy as ripping CDs

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
The program "Spin Doctor" that comes bundles with "toast" tries to do what you ask but it makes mistakes and you have to fix them up. It can also apply the RIAA equalization so you don't need a phono preamp. But ripping vinyl is a manual process. Not at all as easy as ripping CDs

Yup. I think you're spot on, there's no easy way. It's similar to scanning images, one at a time. I suppose I should just do a few vinyls at a time until they're done. Perhaps recording the whole albums, then editing them once they're digitized.

...and thanks everyone for your help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.