Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m far more interested in apple’s first party apps tracking record than any third party app tracking record. Apple is notorious to hold double standards, so it would be interesting to see how much double standards they have.

Btw, maybe first post becomes wiki so everyone can edit? Tho if iOS beta thread is of any indication, I don’t see it being that useful.
I clearly would want to know if Apple was accessing outside unauthorized domains...that would be interesting.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
It doesn't matter. They have an entire shadow profile of you that will continue to keep building just by you using the internet. Privacy is an illusion. You can only take steps to lessen the data they collect about you, but it's impossible to stop it unless you go live an in Amish village.
? Amish village for the win!

even then, I wouldn't put it past getting Zuck'ed if I were in one.

the World Wide Web a.k.a. "the interNET" is just that. welcome to the spiders web. prepare to get your blood and life sucked out of your existence. o_O

Reactions: Bandaman

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
That depends on how Apple masks the IP. I know in normal scenarios, WebRTC can leak your real IP address, even when using a VPN. As far as mobile goes, I am not sure. I try to block WebRTC on all devices but I don't think you can block it on iphone, or it just doesn't exist. Beyond that though, sites like Google and Facebook and others can still "build a profile" of a user based on tracker data, they don't need your IP address to do this.

WebRTC is not supported when it comes to the iPhone.
Or maybe it is the flip.

Reactions: Samdh90

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Or maybe it is the flip.
I really was not sure, just know that it is known for "IP Leaks." It is something recommended that is disabled if you use a commercial VPN service.

Reactions: dk001

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Or maybe it is the flip.
I’m pretty sure it is supported. There was a time I was trying to block it but it was difficult. It was frustrating to go through multiple steps to block tracking and then I found WebRTC was blasting my information negating all my work.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I’m pretty sure it is supported. There was a time I was trying to block it but it was difficult. It was frustrating to go through multiple steps to block tracking and then I found WebRTC was blasting my information negating all my work.

This doesn't work for iOS 15.x. Safari
It did work under 14.x Safari

Something Apple changed broke this function. Just for iOS. Works fine on the Mac.

Flygirlsguy2

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
SV
This is an interesting topic that really concerns everyone. It will continue unless the laws are changed as in the direction of the UK. Push for politicians that want better Internet privacy laws.
I’m curious if anyone knows or can check if UK iOS are different as far as tracking in this new version?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am a bit confused here. I thought this would be stopped by the privacy app tracking option.

21CA9548-28E4-45C0-B2E1-016C855D63E0.jpeg

CheesegraterMac

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
It doesn't matter. They have an entire shadow profile of you that will continue to keep building just by you using the internet. Privacy is an illusion. You can only take steps to lessen the data they collect about you, but it's impossible to stop it unless you go live an in Amish village.
Or live with bedouins..

• Haha
Reactions: Bandaman

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Probably the apps requested to track you before you turned on the option?
The apps are still tracking. Even if it’s turned off. I don’t know why.

The app Lockdown blocks them. It’s VPN but local. They have a paid VPN option too but the tracker blocker is for free.

Reactions: rocketbuc

MacNerd01

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2021
The Psionic Plane
Notability is constantly accessing my photos…? I don’t ever use the photo insert option. Weird.

Attachments

• 77CF7068-E642-4AC3-81B1-469C6152465D.png
    77CF7068-E642-4AC3-81B1-469C6152465D.png
    734.4 KB · Views: 179

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

“Yeee tried to temp me” lol

DC41

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2021
I can't run Lockdown and a VPN at the same time. Enabling one disables the other. I guess I could use Lockdown's VPN, but I like ExpressVPN. Since I have to choose one over the other, which provides/protects "Privacy" (what that means anymore I don't know) more?

Reactions: Samdh90

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I can't run Lockdown and a VPN at the same time. Enabling one disables the other. I guess I could use Lockdown's VPN, but I like ExpressVPN. Since I have to choose one over the other, which provides/protects "Privacy" (what that means anymore I don't know) more?
Unfortunately the way that lockdown works, long with other similar apps is that it creates a virtual VPN tunnel. They do this so that they can filter everywhere and not just in safari. The issue here is that iOS currently does not allow more than one simultaneous VPN tunnel at any one time.

Ultimately, you would have to choose between using an app like lockdown, or an actual VPN service. I would think that would vary based on location. I don't typically use my VPN unless I am using a public Wi-FI hotspot. Of course, being able to remote into my network when abroad does help if I need to access stuff but not on a daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I still do not understand how this works exactly. I am using AdGuard Pro DNS to block traffic but I still see a lot of traffic going in and out of app XY. Shouldn't it be blank if AdGuard blocks them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.