Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
where did you find this offer?

Haven't seen that one, but I got two £15 vouchers for £25 at Argos. Which is a strong argument against everyone moaning about Apple's supposed 30% cut: If I buy software with a sticker price of £30 and pay with these vouchers, the developer gets £21. Argos got £25 minus their bank fees. I can't imagine they sell these below cost, so I'd say Apple gets £25 or less.

They just offer these from time to time; you need to check their website. And keep track of which friends and relatives like iTunes vouchers as birthday/christmas presents.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you cant find a way to download lion you probably don't need it

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Typical frothing at the mouth over rumours and guess work.

Apple's smart enough not to alienate their business and volume purchasers (and who of those are going to want to update on day 1...?), so I'd say it's about 95% sure there'll be a DVD or USB solution.

And if there's not, they've shot themselves in the foot. And it's hard to see why they'd do that.

(Can't OS X Server run a local software updates server? I'm guessing that might come into play).

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
If Apple is going to sell FCS as download only, I'll be even forced to switch to Adobe Premiere!
There is no way, I will be able to keep a reliable connection for that long.
I'll call myself lucky if Lion will download at all.

I'm looking forward to piss Apple customer service off, by asking them to send me their software on DVD or BluRay (sic). It will be either that or I want my money back.
People moaned like this when they stopped including the large reference manuals with FCP and Logic. As it happened, all you had to do was call Apple and they shipped them out to you. They do look after their Pro users.

I'm sure there will be physical discs if you ask. Most edit suits and recording studios do not have internet connections, or share the same internal network for a purpose.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
omg jealous, i live downtown in a big city of germany and i get 0.7 mbs

and eww at the french flag representing "eurozone"

OMG, ... i have better rates even mobile,,,
120321653.png

N

nostromo77

Sorry if this has been asked before,

But, how do people who DO NOT have access to blazing fast internet, get the new LION?

I mean, I'm personally a bit sick that everything on the computer these days is so damn dependent on the internet that sometimes, if the net isn't working the computer suddenly becomes useless. I'm sorry but paying £1500 for a machine that's useless without the world wide web shouldn't cost that much. Granted it's not that bad yet, but we are closer on every new update to the OS, to be completely dependent on the web for full functionality.

So my question is, how do I install LION without being online? And how do I do a clean install with Lion on my HDD? (Format and then install anew).
:confused:

N

nostromo77

Typical frothing at the mouth over rumours and guess work.

Apple's smart enough not to alienate their business and volume purchasers (and who of those are going to want to update on day 1...?), so I'd say it's about 95% sure there'll be a DVD or USB solution.

And if there's not, they've shot themselves in the foot. And it's hard to see why they'd do that.

(Can't OS X Server run a local software updates server? I'm guessing that might come into play).

I'd love it if it was on a nifty USB stick! It's not going to be more than 4GB anyway, so that would be amazing.

I'm an old MacUSER, I mean I've been buying MacOS 7.5 and onwards. So... I still remember (and have) the discs where the MacOS 8.0 was on with Bare Naked Ladies music video to show off QT...

Ahh, it was so simple to program for the mac back then... ;)

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Here's a theory... are they only releasing it via the App Store initially to the masses to identify any problems before releasing it on a DVD with all the fixes? Who knows aye.:rolleyes:

ericmooreart

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
NY,NY
Boxed version please. If I can pay 60 bucks for Starcraft 2 then a little more for boxed Lion is no big deal.

***Note Starcraft 2 is sold as a digital download AND a boxed version

wvdhoogen

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
Given that the info on updating to lion on apple's site is quite specific to updating on day 1 ("To upgrade on day one" and "... the day it's available") this at least suggests some alternative ways to come later on.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Snow Leopard was 69 TL (Turkish Liras) in Turkey, which means around $45, so I am glad they will sell Lion as App Store exclusive.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Here's a theory... are they only releasing it via the App Store initially to the masses to identify any problems before releasing it on a DVD with all the fixes? Who knows aye.:rolleyes:

Or so that downloaders can get it the day the GM is locked down. Printing and distribution take time, so why make the majority of users who don't care about DVDs wait? It might even make sense for the first DVD release for volume users to be 10.7.1 release as businesses aren't going to want to jump straight in to the point zero release anyway (and how long does it typically take for the point one release? 2-6 weeks?)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If you cant find a way to download lion you probably don't need it

Not everyone uses computer for online only uses.

Plus not everyone is against downloading Lion, some might just find the Mac App Store uninteresting and have no wish to submit their CC info there. Others might just be peeved because there is no more 49$ family pack and Lion is going to cost them extra because all the Macs in the household don't share accounts and CCs.

Limiting options limits adoption. What a concept.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
snip

Others might just be peeved because there is no more 49$ family pack and Lion is going to cost them extra because all the Macs in the household don't share accounts and CCs.

With regards to this scenario, I've surmised (as have others) that you'll be able to login to all of your compatible Macs with a single Apple ID to the Mac App Store to download and install Lion. Afterwards, if you wish, you can log out of the Mac App Store with the "common" Apple ID and re-login with different IDs.

I'd be willing to bet that Apple doesn't have any mechanism to check that the Mac App Store is logged in to the correct account before allowing you to boot Lion.

Also, there is a distinction between authorization and installation. To purchase apps on the Mac App Store, you need your Mac to be authorized. After installation, the apps themselves do not need to be authorized. I've tested this last night.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002

Funny didn't they do exactly that when they killed the XServe and told people to use a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro? :eek:

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Or so that downloaders can get it the day the GM is locked down. Printing and distribution take time, so why make the majority of users who don't care about DVDs wait? It might even make sense for the first DVD release for volume users to be 10.7.1 release as businesses aren't going to want to jump straight in to the point zero release anyway (and how long does it typically take for the point one release? 2-6 weeks?)

Good points... and then there's some organisations who probably won't jump on it til .2 or even .3.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Funny didn't they do exactly that when they killed the XServe and told people to use a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro? :eek:

There is a difference between no longer making a product and asking people to move to another, and providing a new OS that presumably they want as many people as possible to upgrade to, and making it extremely difficult for businesses to upgrade. Apple are obviously going to have roll out the changes in their own establishments, so it couldn't be too tricky to modify that process for other medium to large businesses.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
I wonder how this will change things for what other OS companies will charge for a major release (namely Microsoft), and how they will choose to deploy their software.
It seems the ecosystem surrounding Apple is what enables them to really innovate and push the envelope.
I couldn't imagine paying $400 for Windows 8 Ultimate Premium Black Edition.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
With regards to this scenario, I've surmised (as have others) that you'll be able to login to all of your compatible Macs with a single Apple ID to the Mac App Store to download and install Lion. Afterwards, if you wish, you can log out of the Mac App Store with the "common" Apple ID and re-login with different IDs.

That doesn't make the purchase legit. What would then stop me from "sharing" the download with everyone I know ? I do stuff legitimately and me and my GF, while we share a home together, do not share our financial accounts or even any of our accounts.

Breaking the EULA kind of goes against the premise of paying for a legitimate copy in the first place. There was no legitimacy question with the Family pack. It was 5 computers in the household, no accounts, logging in, authorizing, etc.. required. If I'm going to end up breaking the EULA and not having a valid license anyhow, why should I even bother giving Apple any money at all ? I'll just go the 0$ route... Doesn't quite make sense.

So either I'll cave and register for the Mac App Store (if I can even find it on my 10.6.6 Mac, I think I deleted it out of boredom) and buy it or I'll just wait for a DVD option, for which I'd pay extra and bother to convert to USB myself to install on my driveless MBA.

Cutting down options cuts down adoption. That's a fact.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
That doesn't make the purchase legit. What would then stop me from "sharing" the download with everyone I know ? I do stuff legitimately and me and my GF, while we share a home together, do not share our financial accounts or even any of our accounts.

Breaking the EULA kind of goes against the premise of paying for a legitimate copy in the first place. There was no legitimacy question with the Family pack. It was 5 computers in the household, no accounts, logging in, authorizing, etc.. required. If I'm going to end up breaking the EULA and not having a valid license anyhow, why should I even bother giving Apple any money at all ? I'll just go the 0$ route... Doesn't quite make sense.

So either I'll cave and register for the Mac App Store (if I can even find it on my 10.6.6 Mac, I think I deleted it out of boredom) and buy it or I'll just wait for a DVD option, for which I'd pay extra and bother to convert to USB myself to install on my driveless MBA.

This is how it works: (Also a fact)

The manufacturer puts out a product and says you can only buy it this way
You like it and figure out how to buy it the way they offer it
You don't like it or the way they sell it, don't buy it.

Out of the 54 million MacUsers world wide, the percentage of kwetchers who want this option or that option etc. is going to be minute in percentage.

Why do some people feel entitled that things must be delivered to their doorstep on a golden platter and you don't have to put any effort whatsoever into what you want?

I would understand the whining if we had to download and install Lion 10 times a day.

This is a one time download and install. (maybe down the road a reinstall)
My confidence in Mac Users tells me they will figure this out!

BTW: The app store app is downloadable on apples website if you need it.

Problems solved. You are welcome:)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
That doesn't make the purchase legit.
It doesn't make it illegitmate either.

The terms of the Mac App Store allow you to purchase an install apps on all of your Macs, provided you use the same Apple ID. There's no provision that says that you have to stay logged in to the Mac App Store to continue using that app.

Let's say that I own 4 Macs as the head of a household. If my children want to purchase their own software using their own accounts, they can login to the MAS using their own Apple ID. If we want to share common apps (let's say Angry Birds), then I can login to their Mac under my ID to download/install, then logout.

Of course automatic updates would no longer be automatic.

There's nothing there that breaks the terms of conditions of the MAS.

What would then stop me from "sharing" the download with everyone I know ? I do stuff legitimately and me and my GF, while we share a home together, do not share our financial accounts or even any of our accounts.
I suppose there's nothing stopping you from sharing it in this case. But that's no different than the situation with install DVDs.

Your situation with your GF is different. You own your Mac. Presumably, she owns her Mac. If you were to use the same Apple ID to purchase apps on the MAS for both you and your GF, you'd be breaking the terms since they specifically say that you can install on multiple Macs that you own (although they also say that you can install on multiple Macs that you "use").

Breaking the EULA kind of goes against the premise of paying for a legitimate copy in the first place. There was no legitimacy question with the Family pack. It was 5 computers in the household, no accounts, logging in, authorizing, etc.. required.

The terms of the MAS are different than the terms on previous Box Sets where you and your GF would have been covered. It sucks for you, but this is how Apple is currently handling it. I think it benefits more people than it hurts.

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
I wonder how much Micro$oft are going to charge for Windows 8?
And how many different versions? :p

Now that you can get Lion for £20, why should MS charge £200 for the 'Home' version..!

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I presume though that the app store downloads an installer rather than a straight forward app, and that all future OS updates will go through Software Update, rather than the App Store.

Out of wonder, are app store apps signed? I presume (again) that if they were, the installer for Lion would be signed, but there'd be nothing related to the purchaser ID in the actual OS (i.e. for confirming legitimacy, or downloading updates, or whatnot).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.