Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of iOS 6, users lost the ability to gift apps to others directly from the App Store, with users required to turn to the desktop version of iTunes if they wished to send an app gift. But as noted by iFun [Google translation], Apple has now quietly updated the share button in the iOS 6 App Store to include the option to gift paid apps.

app_store_gift.jpg
Not only are users once again able to gift apps, but they can now schedule delivery of their gifts, up to 90 days in the future.

app_store_gift_date.jpg

Article Link: App Store Gifting Returns to iOS Devices

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
#2 post =). I now can spend my apple gift card i got for christmas 2 years ago, on people this year :)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
But does it FINALLY use your store credit/gift cards to gift to others? Every time I gift an app or music, it charges my credit card instead of the credit I already have on the account. Lame.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
How does it handle if you give an app but that user already has it? Does it know that and give a warning, or does it give the user the option to use the money to buy something else? Or is the gift just wasted? That's the main thing that has kept me from ever giving apps as gifts.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
The share button on my iPhone 5 app store only works 1 in 15 times. I usually have to go to a different app then come back to the app to get it to drop down.

----------

Glad I did not upgrade to iOS 6. Clearly a lot of loose ends for Apple to wrap up.

Stick with 5 until the maps are fixed.
Yes gifting is a good feature I was looking for shortly after upgrading.

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
That's nice, but i still want to be able to gift apps to my family (parents and grandparents) using my itunes credit.

----------

I just tried this with a current app i own; the share link (for any of them) wasn't working. For an app I didn't own it worked fine.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The share button on my iPhone 5 app store only works 1 in 15 times. I usually have to go to a different app then come back to the app to get it to drop down.

----------

Stick with 5 until the maps are fixed.
Yes gifting is a good feature I was looking for shortly after upgrading.

You realize Google has released a Google Maps upgrade which is a definite improvement on iOS 5's maps? Honestly, I haven't had an issue with Apple Maps yet, but I downloaded Google Maps just for incase I ever discover something isn't working with Apple Maps.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
You realize Google has released a Google Maps upgrade which is a definite improvement on iOS 5's maps? Honestly, I haven't had an issue with Apple Maps yet, but I downloaded Google Maps just for incase I ever discover something isn't working with Apple Maps.

No but will Siri and other apps link to Google Maps?
If you click on an address in an email or contacts does it open the Google Maps?

Edit:
Nope and Nope

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No but will Siri and other apps link to Google Maps?
If you click on an address in an email or contacts does it open the Google Maps?

Edit:
Nope and Nope
You can copy and paste into Google Maps, or actually select Google Maps from Apple Maps to reroute you and use the Google Maps app instead that way.

Sure, it's not integrated, but if you wait for that to happen or for Apple Maps to significantly improve, it's going to take a long time, which kind of makes it a little pointless to wait that kind of stuff out.

----------

You actually can't gift apps with allowances/gift certificates.
Never understood that restriction--it's a rather bad one too.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
i'm glad it came back, but i wonder what calculation and evaluation went into by the apples thinkers to yanked it out. I dont think any sane guy or any amount logical thinking would ever come to decision of removing such a feature.

It all seems that one day someone at Apple got up and thought lets do some editing. just like i do once in while with icons on my desktop. drag them to the trash!

peb123

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
I don't see it on my iPad???? Maybe only certain people are special enough to be allowed to gift?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.