Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawwkk55

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
I, like a lot of people, signed up for an iTunes purchase account a long time ago with a non-apple email address. Later, I got a Mobile Me account which later transferred to an iCloud ID account. (Two diff emails) So, I've always had two Apple ID's. One for iTunes purchases and one for iCloud. So if I want to share my purchases with 5 other people in my family, how would this work? Since this goes through iCloud but my iTunes purchases are under another email account I don't see how I'm going to do this.

Anybody else in the same situation?

Yeah I am in the same boat as you. I was able to tie my iCloud account to my other family members and then specify my iTunes purchase account for family sharing purchases.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
multi user licenses???

hmm... I wonder whether some developers will start publishing two versions of the same app. One cheaper for a single user (i.e. no family sharing) and a more expensive version of the same app which allows family sharing. I wonder what apples policies would say about someone trying to do this.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't buy multiple copies of apps. I never would see the need to do that. I pay for the usage on my devices, and I own them. All of them. If a developer is expecting me to buy it twice to use in the same household, that's a developer that will get none of my money. Simple.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
That's nice Apple

This is a great feature Apple, letting a Family share a $0.99 app on $10,000 worth of iDevices.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
This may cut into revenue a bit, but is a real win for families, by not having to buy multiple copies of apps.

You could already share the same Apple ID for the App Store on multiple devices and use different Apple IDs for everything else. Most people I know are already doing this.

----------

It's nice that this is an advertised feature but allowing each developer to pick and choose or set dates just means that most of us that are already sharing a single Apple ID just for the App Store across multiple devices (but use our own individual Apple ID for everything else) will continue doing so since that approach will continue to work with all apps in the store, not just some apps.

I guess this is good for people that didn't know you could set up the App Store with the same ID across multiple devices for years now? :rolleyes:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Apple is really pushing this hard to developers. They basically sent out a new contract just so they could encourage devs to join the family share program.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You could already share the same Apple ID for the App Store on multiple devices and use different Apple IDs for everything else. Most people I know are already doing this.

----------

It's nice that this is an advertised feature but allowing each developer to pick and choose or set dates just means that most of us that are already sharing a single Apple ID just for the App Store across multiple devices (but use our own individual Apple ID for everything else) will continue doing so since that approach will continue to work with all apps in the store, not just some apps.

I guess this is good for people that didn't know you could set up the App Store with the same ID across multiple devices for years now? :rolleyes:

Setting up like you describe with the same ID across multiple different people's devices has several downsides that Family Sharing does not. First and foremost being that you lose out on the ability to be able to download all your purchases across your devices unless you are ok with automatically downloading everyone else's purchases. I don't know about you, but I have no interest having my teenage daughter's Justin Bieber app or the music she likes showing up on my device or my wife's apps I have absolutely no interest in appearing on my device.

You also don't have the freedom to hide certain app purchase because it will happen on everybody's devices. Also, some syncing services are linked to the Apple ID that purchased the item like where you stopped reading an iBook.

Then there's the fact that everyone has to have your Apple ID username and password because it is needed for updates. There are other downsides as well.

And what happens when the kids grow up and have their own families? Your solution means they have to start all over while all their purchases that you never wanted stay attached to your Apple ID.

Sharing an Apple ID has never been a very good solution because that's not the way it was intended to work.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
you could just share the gift card number right? continually reload the card with more money have others login to it?

I don't think so, gift cards are one time use - the money is credited to your account, not tied to the card number. So entering it on a second account would just tell you that the card has already been used.

You could probably share one of those pre-paid visa cards or something similar.

----------

hmm... I wonder whether some developers will start publishing two versions of the same app. One cheaper for a single user (i.e. no family sharing) and a more expensive version of the same app which allows family sharing. I wonder what apples policies would say about someone trying to do this.

I doubt this will happen, mainly because then you will split your downloads and reviews across two apps meaning lower search results for both. And if the family sharing version is more popular you are pretty much guaranteed to have people complaining that they bought the more expensive version but aren't using family sharing.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

Yup. Hopefully that option doesn't go away in the future. I could see "Family Sharing" being a back door way for app developers - including Apple - to start tightening down on their apps being installed on multiple devices.

As to why I'm even entertaining that notion... I can't otherwise see why app developers should even have the option to not allow Family Sharing - yet they apparently do. It's not adding a new feature; it's simply making an something we can already do somewhat easier to manage. So why allow developers to opt out?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm not sure I understand why this feature is even needed.

I put a paid app of mine on my friend's phone so he could play with it and decide if he wanted to buy it. All I had to do was plug his phone into my computer and I dragged the app to his phone.

That's it.

The only caveat is that if he wipes and reinstalls his phone, he needs my password to install the app again. But there doesn't seem to be a mechanism in place to keep families from sharing apps, even with different Apple IDs.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
How do you go about restricting some content that is not age appropriate for some of your younger family members?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Yup. Hopefully that option doesn't go away in the future. I could see "Family Sharing" being a back door way for app developers - including Apple - to start tightening down on their apps being installed on multiple devices.

As to why I'm even entertaining that notion... I can't otherwise see why app developers should even have the option to not allow Family Sharing - yet they apparently do. It's not adding a new feature; it's simply making an something we can already do somewhat easier to manage. So why allow developers to opt out?

They don't have the option not to allow it going forward. MacRumors is just posting incorrect information. The only thing they have the option for is whether they want to make it retroactive for past purchases.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Considering it's already possible to have apps from multiple apple ids on one account, it's pretty annoying for the apps that don't provide this option, or decide to only include it with apps from a certain date forward.

Maybe I don't understand the family sharing idea, because this was my thought. My wife and I can already share apps, music, etc...

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
My problem is to set up my kid's MobileMe/iCloud accounts years ago I had to lie about their DOBs as Apple decided they were too young (presumably before Apple realized how big a market it was missing out on), so I used my own DOB. Trouble is that means Family Sharing considers them adults, so they won't need any approval to buy apps using my credit card - and there's no ability to change their DOBs in their account settings

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
That's a good idea. a 4-year old and Autodesk Pro. Let them buy the full version of Autodesk and put in on your credit card. Ages 4+ -- Sure.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Family Sharing is expected to be implemented and fully functional ahead of the public release of iOS 8, which will be available in September

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but does that mean that family sharing will be available even if we do not have a single iOS 8 compatible device in our family?

WARRZONE

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Hopefully, this is one step closer to letting us merge Apple ID's and simplifying things. At least now if people accidentally bought things using both ID's, it doesn't matter as much.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So do iTunes accounts with no associated credit card where purchases were made using gift cards not apply?

Correct. You have to have the same credit card on all accounts for family sharing to work. Although gift cards on a single account will be used first.

that said, I wish there was a way to bar using the credit card (as more than a link) and I'm sending that feedback repeatedly. I encourage everyone to do the same.

----------

you could just share the gift card number right? continually reload the card with more money have others login to it?

nope. Gift cards aren't shareable. They are on one account only.

Which is great for kids. Grandma and Grandpa sent the kids a gift card on their birthday and if they have their own account only Sally can spend her birthday money. No more Billy asking for a game and since its all on one account and credits are used before cards, Billy's game came out of Sally's money. Not really fair is it. Sally doesn't think so

----------

It's not showing in the UK App Store yet :-(
This was one of the best things about iOS 8 IMO THIS and the "request to purchase" bit. Perfect to stop darling daughter bludgeoning my credit card on her 5s

I suspect they are doing this more to get rid of folks borking up apple ids cause they cheated to make an id for their kid can don't remember what fake birthdate they put. And to get rid of having to refund IAP that kids made. Now you have restrictions AND Family sharing 'ask' to monitor so there should be no 'accidental' purchases

----------

My problem is to set up my kid's MobileMe/iCloud accounts years ago I had to lie about their DOBs as Apple decided they were too young (presumably before Apple realized how big a market it was missing out on),

actually no it was a legality concern. Especially in the US. Same for why Facebook says you aren't supposed to sign up if you are under 13.

----------

That's a good idea. a 4-year old and Autodesk Pro. Let them buy the full version of Autodesk and put in on your credit card. Ages 4+ -- Sure.

That's why you sign up junior for a child's account where 'ask to buy' is automatically on because he's under 13 and then you say no. problem solved before it is a problem

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
The problem with family sharing is that you should be able to all have your own payment options... If your family consists of adults then it's basically useless. I want to be able to purchase my own apps irrespective of what my family purchases, and still be able to share our content... It really sucks that you can't just share your purchases with family members.

If your family consists of adults, why are they all living at the same address? Part of being an adult is moving away from home.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
If your family consists of adults, why are they all living at the same address? Part of being an adult is moving away from home.

You don't have to have the same address. You may need to figure out the rules of family sharing before commenting.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Exactly, but truth is ....

I doubt most people buy multiple copies of apps for multiple family members to use. What usually winds up happening is they just log multiple devices into the same App Store account so everyone can share whatever they pay for once.

That means this change wouldn't affect Apple's revenue in these cases. It would just improve the user experience for everyone in the family, because you won't have to deal with scrolling through all sorts of apps you have no interest in, on your personal iPad or iPhone, just because you loaded it on there for the kid(s).

I don't buy multiple copies of apps. I never would see the need to do that. I pay for the usage on my devices, and I own them. All of them. If a developer is expecting me to buy it twice to use in the same household, that's a developer that will get none of my money. Simple.

Tbone999

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
My worry about family sharing is that, because it is app and developer specific, it won't work. I can't use family sharing to share all of our apps if half of them can't be shared.

It should be mandatory for developers to allow it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.