Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
is there a way to test a new hard drive right away rather than waiting for it to fail? these are oem hdd's i bought from newegg and they only have a 15 day return policy for rma's.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I believe that Techtool Pro (part of some new bundle Check it) has a hard drive tester. i'm not sure how useful this tester is though. AFAIK hard drives regularly fail to a small extent and the drive or computer marks the space as unusable. This process is not noticable to the end user. When the entire hard drive really bites it, it is usually all at once and very sudden with no warning. Some advanced systems like XServe I believe have sensors that may alert you if your hard drive is about to fail as well.

Of course you could just try copying a whole bunch of files to the drive the reformat it and do it again.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
You could install SmartReporter to monitor your hard drive(s) and alert you when the SMART status of the drives indicates impending failure. You can even have it e-mail you in case you're at work and want to take action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.