Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JA226

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
I'm seeing the same issue on my M2 Pro Mac mini with a single monitor, but I'm not seeing this issue on my M2 MacBook Air. 🤷‍♂️
I tested with my new 16" MacBook Pro and I am having the issue with it as well.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
A new guess: maybe your monitors drop their resolution down on sleep, then- on wake- is at the lower resolution and quickly returns to their fuller resolution?

This would be my assumption too. I've had a few apps not just resize themselves in this fashion, but also zoom in so that everything is about 400x normal size.

This isn't totally new. I've had plenty of weird external monitor related things like this happen over the years, go away, and then come back again. It's software related for sure. It'll probably get fixed regardless of what I do and then reappear in the next major OS upgrade. I'm too lazy to keep troubleshooting it.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
Ping. Have the same issue on a Mac Studio with a Studio Display on Ventura. (and with Stage Manager turned off)
Freshly installed OS too.

Annoying that we have to find workarounds for silly OS bugs.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Ping. Have the same issue on a Mac Studio with a Studio Display on Ventura. (and with Stage Manager turned off)

Wow even with an official Apple display? That makes me feel a little better and that means that Apple will likely want to fix it.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I'm on the phone with Apple. They want me to reinstall macOS... have any of you tried doing this? I don't wanna go through all of that if it makes no difference. I mean it's a brand new computer, what could possibly be wrong with the install?

Autochthon

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021

Exactly the same setup, Apple Studio and Studio Display, in my case running Monterey. The issue has only appeared in the last few weeks although the hardware setup has been the same since purchase several months ago. That leads to the conclusion it was the most recent security update that introduced the bug for me. For a seemingly minor issue, it is enormously frustrating as it disrupts working habits that have been in place for decades.

rexbinary

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Texas
It was noted in this thread that the beta of 13.3 seemed to resolve this issue. Just to confirm, this issue is resolved for me in the release version of 13.3.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It was noted in this thread that the beta of 13.3 seemed to resolve this issue. Just to confirm, this issue is resolved for me in the release version of 13.3.
Even for hidden apps? Mine still messes up with hidden apps.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Yes, even with hidden apps.
🤔 I'm on 13.3 and it's still messing up

Edit: What the heck? The music app messes up, but Safari and Chrome were fine. I swear I tested this a couple days ago and it was still shrinking my windows.

Try the Music app please.

Edit 2: Yup, it's only Music now. I tried a ton of apps (Safari, Chrome, Mail, Illustrator, Settings, Discord, Messages, Music) and they were all fine after wake, except for Music. All hidden by the way.

Last edited:

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Can anyone else confirm that the music app still resizes down to the bottom left of the screen??

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
This is not a Mac mini issue. I've experienced the same on a MacBook, an iMac, a MacBook Air, a MacBook Pro and a Mac Studio. It's not specifically Ventura either, it's happened on previous macOS versions.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
This is not a Mac mini issue. I've experienced the same on a MacBook, an iMac, a MacBook Air, a MacBook Pro and a Mac Studio. It's not specifically Ventura either, it's happened on previous macOS versions.
Right, but it's a combination of monitor and Mac that causes the issue. I have 4 M1 Mac mini's at work and 2 of them are hooked up to Dell monitors and do not have the issue and 2 of them hooked up to Asus monitors that do have the issue.

Anyways, the issue is MOSTLY fixed in Ventura version 13.3, except for Music.app for some reason.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have an M1 Mac Mini connected to a 27" LG 4K monitor via HDMI. I usually have three other apps apart from Finder open at all times. These are: Mail, Firefox and Telegram messenger. They are always opened to the maximum window size when in use (not full screen mode). Every single time I wake the computer from sleep these three apps are resized and moved to the lower left of the screen in the exact same position, so that if you were to open one over the other, the one in focus would completely hide the others. This has been happening for as long as I have owned the computer (about two years) and I have just put up with it. Lately though, for whatever reason it has been really irritating me, and I've been trying to figure out how to stop this from happening. I have not found much online regarding this issue and a potential solution. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening and/or how it can be fixed? I have attached a screenshot for reference.
Apparently it's Apple's new "undocumented feature". I am experiencing I on my M1 Max Studio, as well... but only on a couple of apps - notably, Google Chrome and Adobe Photoshop. (I don't use Mail, Firefox or Telegram), My mail client is Postbox, and it does not exhibit this behavior (yet).

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Apparently it's Apple's new "undocumented feature". I am experiencing I on my M1 Max Studio, as well... but only on a couple of apps - notably, Google Chrome and Adobe Photoshop. (I don't use Mail, Firefox or Telegram), My mail client is Postbox, and it does not exhibit this behavior (yet).
Weird, chrome is fine for me, but Music still misbehaves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.