Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
With five more quarter before the end of 2008, they'd be closer to 7 million at the current pace. But that doesn't account for the international launches that are just around the corner. Their potential market is about to get significantly bigger, and the sales numbers will certainly reflect that going forward.

Not to mention, they will come out with iPhone II before then :D

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Agressively priced = low margins. Apple doesn't do low margins. Apple doesn't do "hot swappable" component machines. Games made exclusively for Mac tend to quickly become old games because the makers don't generate the same kind of revenue they would get for Windows or Windows/Mac games. We went through this before with Apple, maybe before you were born.

I guess you missed the part where I said "Sorry I forgot who I was talking about". Of course Apple will stick to their high margins instead of gunning for some marketshare. I was just dreaming aloud.

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
......this also means more law suits to follow.... those lawyers must be drooling too...

cheers to everyone....(holding beer)

macus3r

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
Apple's not an investment bank. If they really thought they could do better by hoarding cash and generating interest then we should all worry about the future of their product line.

Straight from the Q307 10-Q

Note 2 – Financial Instruments

Cash, Cash Equivalents and Short-Term Investments
The following table summarizes the fair value of the Company’s cash and available-for-sale securities held in its short-term investment portfolio, recorded as cash and cash equivalents or short-term investments as of June 30, 2007, and September 30, 2006 (in millions):

blah blah stuff goes here

The Company’s U.S. Corporate securities consist primarily of commercial paper, certificates of deposit, time deposits, and corporate debt securities. Foreign securities consist primarily of foreign commercial paper issued by foreign companies, and certificates of deposit and time deposits with foreign institutions, most of which are denominated in U.S. dollars. As of June 30, 2007 and September 30, 2006, approximately $2.1 billion and $921 million, respectively, of the Company’s short-term investments had underlying maturities ranging from one to five years. The remaining short-term investments had maturities less than 12 months.

The gross and net unrealized losses on the Company’s investment portfolio were not significant as of June 30, 2007 and September 30, 2006. The unrealized losses on the Company’s investments in U.S. Treasury and Agency securities, U.S. corporate securities, and foreign securities were caused primarily by changes in interest rates. The Company typically invests in highly rated securities with low probabilities of default. The Company’s investment policy requires investments to be rated single-A or better. Therefore, the Company considers the declines to be temporary in nature. As of June 30, 2007, the Company does not consider the investments to be other-than-temporarily impaired.

Market values were determined for each individual security in the investment portfolio. When evaluating the investments for other-than-temporary impairment, the Company reviews factors such as the length of time and extent to which fair value has been below cost basis, the financial condition of the issuer, and the Company’s ability and intent to hold the investment for a period of time, which may be sufficient for anticipated recovery in market value.

LINKY LINKYYYYYY

macus3r

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
I might add:

Any smart business owner, whether large, mid-sized, or even small, with cash on hand available for reinvestment (other than a hard asset such as real estate or office purchases) would probably do the same thing on a much smaller scale.

Timed investments such as Certificate of Deposits (at the small business level) are great ways to keep grubby hands from out of the pot and kept away for safe-keeping and interest earning.

say you've made around $20K by the time you've squared off all your debts

you hit up your bank and buy 10 CDs at 1K each, with varying maturities...

2 that are 6-9 month, 2 that are 1-2 year, 2 that are 2-3, and 4 that are 3-5.

you've got a nicely staggered cash investment. 10K locked away, 10K on hand.

Your investments might just help you out when you're in dire straits or a pleasant surprise when things are going well and just in time for other investment opportunities.

most small business owners completely skip this notion (or simply don't know of it), instead wanting to pocket the cash and hit up vegas or get that rolex (or do both?).

time value of money might do the trick though.

watch your cents...

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
33% margins... and yet the Leopard Edu pricing is almost doubled.

WAY TO GO $TEVE!

Leopard is still available at lower price in college-bookstores and such. Only place where they increased the edu-pricing is the Apple online-store.

In short: quit your whining.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Leopard is still available at lower price in college-bookstores and such. Only place where they increased the edu-pricing is the Apple online-store.

In short: quit your whining.

I work at the City University of New York, which has 100,000+ students easily, spread over some 17 or so campuses. Even though we have a "custom" Apple store, it's still $116. Even though I'm the one who gets all the purchase order quotes for my dept. from our state Apple rep, it's still $116.

The new Edu pricing is not consistent, and is just pure greed.

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Well, FWIW, they are not required to offer any kind of discount at all. You CAN still afford Leopard. If you don't.... well, what's wrong with Tiger?

I'm sorry but people are allowed to be irritated by Apple's sales practices. People are angry that Apple supported education for so long but has been bumping up prices recently. When they hear of Apples profits going through the roof, they rightly think this is unfair.

Don't be so blindly defensive of Apple's actions. Students want to enjoy Leopard too, and unfortunately, means not having quite so big a budget to spend on Apples products. Some students may have been saving a portion for Leopard and now cannot afford it at the new virtually full price.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Don't be so blindly defensive of Apple's actions. Students want to enjoy Leopard too, and unfortunately, means not having quite so big a budget to spend on Apples products. Some students may have been saving a portion for Leopard and now cannot afford it at the new virtually full price.
There are plenty of non-students too who want to enjoy Leopard but can't afford it. Luckily Tiger isn't suddenly going to stop working on Saturday morning, so these people have a choice of whether they purchase or not.

Nobody is entitled to Leopard, not even students. You either buy it or you don't.

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
I should mention that I'm actually not a student by the way! lol.

I would never suggest people 'deserve' this that or the other and I wholly agree that no-one is entitled to have Leopard, but at the same time, it's not a blessing from the gods we're talking about (Although you'd think that way with some on this site :rolleyes:! Its a new OS release, that has been offered to students (as Apple has been so keen on education for so many years) at a discounted rate because they know that if they get them there, they can keep them as loyal users, and maybe because Education is important. I think it was a great strategy and Apple could easily afford to continue the lower price with minimal impact to profit margins both long and short term.

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
"People are angry that Apple supported education for so long but has been bumping up prices recently. When they hear of Apples profits going through the roof, they rightly think this is unfair."

Apple CUSTOMERS subsidized Apple education sales. And they are wrong to think it is unfair, they are right to have a preference that Apple return to the old way. Remember, the most common student response has been "One penny over $69 and I'll steal it". Not exactly a segment that can claim the moral high ground! But 90% are fresh off someone else's gravy train (10%... wasn't referring to you, don't post your tale of self-sufficient woe) and believe they deserve everything at whatever price they believe fair based on the chapter and a half of economics they read before the dropped the class last term.

"Well, FWIW, they are not required to offer any kind of discount at all."

See prior posts and threads. By virtue of sitting on the sidelines of the economy, students believe they deserve a subsidy. Apple offered it in the past so they should be required to in the future. Kind of reminds us why we aren't supposed to feed the bears in national parks. They'll come to expect it and get quite rowdy if we stop!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
No doubt they're having at fine time of it at head office, very nice figures indeed.

With regard to student discounts, it doesn't really surprise me. We all know how greedy Apple have become, look at the iPhone exclusivity and revenue deals for example.

Quality control has gone down the pan, no doubt saving a few $$$$.

But hey, they're making a fortune and selling more than ever. Why should they care? Right?

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
For some reason the NASDAQ site always shows the Google market cap wrong. GOOG is actually worth US$203.1bn.

Source

For those who are curious, the value on the NASDAQ site is the aggregate value of Google Class A common stock -- which is the stock represented by the GOOG ticker symbol. The missing value is in Google Class B common stock.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
10 million iPhones *IN* 2008, or 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008? I've seen this reported differently in different places.

What specifically did they say in the call? Anyone know where in the conference call this statement is?

iMartini

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Seattle, USA
An inconvenient truth for Microsoft

Anybody else notice a striking resemblance between Apple's stock performance and Al Gore's global warming chart? :)

an-inconvenient-truth.jpg

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Apple CUSTOMERS subsidized Apple education sales. And they are wrong to think it is unfair, they are right to have a preference that Apple return to the old way. Remember, the most common student response has been "One penny over $69 and I'll steal it". Not exactly a segment that can claim the moral high ground! But 90% are fresh off someone else's gravy train (10%... wasn't referring to you, don't post your tale of self-sufficient woe) and believe they deserve everything at whatever price they believe fair based on the chapter and a half of economics they read before the dropped the class last term.

"Well, FWIW, they are not required to offer any kind of discount at all."

See prior posts and threads. By virtue of sitting on the sidelines of the economy, students believe they deserve a subsidy. Apple offered it in the past so they should be required to in the future. Kind of reminds us why we aren't supposed to feed the bears in national parks. They'll come to expect it and get quite rowdy if we stop!

You have an incredibly opinionated view of students of which a large proportion on this forum would be offended by suggesting that they would "immediately steal it if its a penny more" and make judgements based on their poor knowledge on economics because they can only be bothered to read a chapter and a half and then "drop-out" of classes.

I'd also like to suggest that Apple customers in no way directly (Or indirectly) are paying for the subsidies, that sounds like British tabloid economics to me. Shareholders would end losing out the most I would have thought.

I'm not trying to claim any ground let alone the 'moral' one I assure you! Just defending students as I was one.

yoyon8

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
I should mention that I'm actually not a student by the way! lol.

I would never suggest people 'deserve' this that or the other and I wholly agree that no-one is entitled to have Leopard, but at the same time, it's not a blessing from the gods we're talking about (Although you'd think that way with some on this site :rolleyes:! Its a new OS release, that has been offered to students (as Apple has been so KEEN on education for so many years) at a discounted rate because they know that if they get them there, they can keep them as loyal users, and maybe because Education is important. I think it was a great strategy and Apple could easily afford to continue the lower price with minimal impact to profit margins both long and short term.

What keen are you referring to?

1 a: having a fine edge or point : sharp b: affecting one as if by cutting <keen sarcasm> c: pungent to the sense <a keen scent>
2 a (1): showing a quick and ardent responsiveness : enthusiastic <a keen swimmer> (2): eager <was keen to begin> bof emotion or feeling : intense <the keen delight in the chase — F. W. Maitland>
3 a: intellectually alert : having or characteristic of a quick penetrating mind <a keen student> <a keen awareness of the problem>; also : shrewdly astute b: sharply contested <keen debate> c: extremely sensitive in perception <keen eyes>
4: wonderful, excellent

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.