Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As reported by MacNN, Silicon Color announced that Apple has acquired the company:

Announcement: We are pleased to announce that all Silicon Color technology and intellectual property, including FinalTouch color correction software, was recently sold to Apple. Maintenance agreements held by current Silicon Color customers will be honored by Apple until they expire.

Silicon Color FinalTouch 2K, FinalTouch HD, and FinalTouch SD for digital video color finishing.

The products are available for Mac only.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Apple moves to make Final Cut even better.

Now if only apple could make take the program to a higher end level.

to take on Avid. Most people i know use Final Cut for Mid and Lower end stuff.

Ie big movie editors dont use it much.

snarton

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2006
This is a pretty high end color correction tool. It's more likely to end up in the next version of Shake than in FCP.

Mr B

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2006
Washington DC
mdntcallr said:

It is the new kid, and I hope for continued improvements, but some big names are using it. Walter Murch uses it now doesn't he?

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
FinalTouch will most likely get rolled into FCS 6.0 in time for NAB next year, since FT uses GPU hardware to do real-time colour correction. Besides, Final Cut Pro doesn't even have a decent curves colour correction tool and their 3-Way Colour Corrector is somewhat of a joke.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Just watched the excellent 'Sin City'. It has to be one of the most impressive films I've seen and it was edited using Final Cut Pro.

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
This is going to become the core of Shake's replacement colour technology.

I'm sure it will also be part of that rumoured realtime 2k system that has even been seen run with RED camera footage...

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Maybe FCS will see support for 10-bit, log-encoded Cineon and DPX files. The forum could be migrated over to Apple Discussions.
Although you mighn't be able to purchase Final Touch for the time being-unless they are listed on the Apple store.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Mr B said:
It is the new kid, and I hope for continued improvements, but some big names are using it. Walter Murch uses it now doesn't he?

Yes, Walter Murch is the biggest name. I'm reading Behind the Seen right now. It's very interesting. But it's true that most feature films do still use Avid.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
iris_failsafe said:
This is going to become the core of Shake's replacement colour technology.
Haven't tried Shake's colour grading and replacement tools, but had a lot of fun with SmoothCam. I can see why at one point Shake cost $10,000 per seat. Since Shake is EOL'ed by Apple, we might hopefully see FT technology in Apple's Phenomenon or Motion. :)

ideaspring

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Colorado
It's an Avid Killer!

The acquisition of Silicon Color is awesome news. I think Apple is going to after the Avid Symphony and make its way into the high end market.

While several films may be cut on FCP, they are not finished there. This is Apple's first real chance to make that happen. The sad thing is the hardware is there, now we just need to get the right software.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
mdntcallr said:

You are so ridiculously incorrect. Do your research.

mcorange

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
I have a little experience from the products.

FinalTouch are very High End products and can't even run on standard High-End Apple workstations except with major performance tweaks such as SATA Raid clustering and a minimum requirement of 4 GB RAM for many features.

So...

...well...

...good news, for film professionals.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
ideaspring said:
The acquisition of Silicon Color is awesome news. I think Apple is going to after the Avid Symphony and make its way into the high end market.

While several films may be cut on FCP, they are not finished there. This is Apple's first real chance to make that happen. The sad thing is the hardware is there, now we just need to get the right software.

Beyond the shortcomings of the Color Corrector and some media management issues, FCP is actually more in line with the DS products. Symphony is just a composer with a good color corrector. FCPs feature set is much more in line with DS. Kind of a mix of old AE and old DS technology with a little composer. Just look at the switch TO FCP rate vs. the switch to AVID rate. Well, there essentially aren't many people at all switching to Avid.

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
Apple is just amazing. They keep buying up great companies and improving their software much too quickly

First they switch to Intel.

Then they let us run Windows.

Now they will give us Video iPod.

Later we will get a killer iPhone with a keyboard.

When Leopard comes out with all the bells and whistles it will blow everyone away

How can one keep up?

I feel my G5 Tower with Final Cut is about to become a dinosaur and I just bought it last year.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
iris_failsafe said:
I'm sure it will also be part of that rumoured realtime 2k system that has even been seen run with RED camera footage...

What's a "RED" camera? (as I assume it has nothing to do with Bono) :)

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Southernboy said:
Just watched the excellent 'Sin City'. It has to be one of the most impressive films I've seen and it was edited using Final Cut Pro.

Calling Sin City an excellent and impressive film is a bit of a stretch. Visually it was pretty interesting, but as a film... kinda like feces on celluloid.

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
Feature films

I'm not sure if the number of feature films cut using Final Cut is indictative of it's power. Feature films are not very demanding of an editing program (excluding storing many hours of footage). Avid is used because of it's legacy, and because Lightworks fell out of favor.

I'd say that the number of television promos and commercials cut using Final Cut is a better indicator of it's power. With promos you're more likely to be interacting with After Effects and Photoshop, etc. With features you're more likely to be just loading completed effects from a Smoke or Flame.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
clintob said:
Calling Sin City an excellent and impressive film is a bit of a stretch. Visually it was pretty interesting, but as a film... kinda like feces on celluloid.

I think Southernboy meant visually interesting. You should also remember that it's aim was to faithfully reproduce the graphic novels on the big screen (which it did very well without reverting to pure black and white + 1 color). So if you don't enjoy graphic novels, especially ultra-violent ones, you should have expected to be similarly offended by the film.

This would actually be a good time to note how comicbooks and graphic novels are 'softened' and sometimes rewritten for big screen adaptation. If you saw "V for Vendetta" in theaters and enjoyed it, I would suggest you check out the original graphic novel and see how underwhelming that film was to fans.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
You know, I just saw SC employees demo'ing Final Touch HD hardware last Friday at a trade show, and the person demonstrating it had a large console with three trackballs and circular wheels and a whole lot of push buttons and levers and LCD displays. He was using it to CC some underwater and glacier footage. If Apple were to incorporate SC FT IP technology, would they somehow do away with the hardware support of FT?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.