Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Other than that — in the last decade — what else have you got? [Apple products that have failed]
:apple:TV

They can still save the :apple:TV but right now I wouldn't buy one and I believe there are better alternatives.

Lala would certainly be coming to the :apple:TV, but even that's not enough to save it.
The Apple TV has been a modest success, it just wasn't another iPhone or iPod. The estimates I've seen suggest that over the last 2.5 years Apple has sold about 7.5 million Apple TVs which isn't bad considering that most were probably sold in the U.S. By contrast, the XBox 360 sold just under 12 million units in the U.S. during its first three years. Moreover, the XBox actually lost money during most of its lifetime while the Apple TV has always been profitable (on a hardware cost basis).

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I came to Lala back when it was still a trading service and lamented it's move to streaming music. As the trading started drying up, I discovered Music Boomerang and have been happy with that. Sometimes it's nice to acquire a physical CD for $1.00 and get help other music listeners by sending off CD's I don't listen to anymore.

Good riddance Lala; Good luck Apple.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
The Apple TV has been a modest success, it just wasn't another iPhone or iPod. The estimates I've seen suggest that over the last 2.5 years Apple has sold about 7.5 million Apple TVs which isn't bad considering that most were probably sold in the U.S. By contrast, the XBox 360 sold just under 12 million units in the U.S. during its first three years. Moreover, the XBox actually lost money during most of its lifetime while the Apple TV has always been profitable (on a hardware cost basis).

I get what you're saying about Microsoft losing money on the Xbox in the early years, but I think that can be taken the wrong way. That's how console systems work, and they recoup their costs from game companies. Again, your point is valid, but could be misleading.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I get what you're saying about Microsoft losing money on the Xbox in the early years, but I think that can be taken the wrong way. That's how console systems work, and they recoup their costs from game companies. Again, your point is valid, but could be misleading.
Well, both the XBox 360 and the Playstation 3 are now sold above their hardware cost (apparently), but during the early years both Microsoft and Sony lost billions of dollars on these systems and not all of that was made up in subsidizes from the game companies. It wasn't too long ago that Microsoft was reporting quarterly losses in the hundreds of millions of dollars in their XBox/gaming division. In fact, below is an article that claims that the XBox division is still losing money (partly because of the XBox's high failure rate).

http://boycottnovell.com/2009/05/03/microsoft-xbox-failure-departure/

It also says that Microsoft has lost about 7 billion dollars on the XBox alone.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002

Regarding Microsoft, however, the XBox has lost more than twenty five billion dollars over nearly a decade, not to mention countless amounts of management’s time and “talent”, for what?

If it weren’t for creative accounting in past fiscals, XBox would still be unprofitable for some 6-7 additional years and $6B-$7B in losses later.

Speaking of the warranty charge that was retroactively buried into a previous fiscal, here’s a report on what was really to blame -

Short form: to save perhaps $10M, MSFT designed the graphics chip in-house rather than using an outside expert – eventually resulting in the $1B+ warranty/recall charge. Oh well.

Is it turning a small profit now? No, nor will any unlikely future profits be nearly enough of a trickle to fill the unsurmountable deficit which its solely responsible for.

What remains misleading, is the notion that the XBox will eventually recoup even 3% of its losses - not in our lifetimes.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
looks like Apple is confirming that they want to take iTunes "to the next level", according to 9to5Mac.
that's a broad-based statement, but obviously they are planning to do something with this service they just acquired.

Tricky_Trav

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
Power Mac G4 Cube?

Other than that — in the last decade — what else have you got?

iPod Hi-Fi, and before you say it doesn't count because it was an accessory, it was a main focal point at an media event where the only other thing was the mini getting Intel processors, so it was pretty big, at least in Apple's point of view, it didn't fail because of it's quality though, most Apple products aren't flawed in that regard, it was it's price, and Apple's refusal to drop it.

I'm only pointing this out to prove that Apple's not a company with a halo over it's head (nor is Google or Microsoft or any other company), their goal, is to make money, that's the point of a business. I think though not just on MacRumors but the tech community as a whole, we need to stop bashing something just because [fill in the blank] makes it, or it's not made by [fill in the blank]. Companies make good products that some like and others don't, and even the companies that make a lot of good ones, sometimes make a blunder here and there. So maybe instead of getting condescending when someone uses another products than we do, we should consider the pluses it may have.

As Steve himself put it "We have to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose." You could easily fill Microsoft or Apple with any other company.

/Rant

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
Technically....

You know what's wrong with these online services? Lossy codecs. Most of them are 128k MP3. They ought to be shot for pushing such junk. If they were selling 24/192k tracks downconverted direct from the 8-bit DSD master I'd be buying. I don't need Red Book compatible tracks on a download, and I can always downconvert to 16/44k any time I need to.

Doesn't matter. Like the dollar value menu at McDonalds, LALA offers convenience and an adequate bitrate for average listeners.

Besides, they'll probably add an audiophile section to one of these services eventually, charge a premium, etc...

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
Wait...

You obviously don't use Lala. This has nothing to do with either of those things. Lala is, very specifically, a music service.

I love Lala. I hope Apple makes it even better. Now let's get that iPhone app approved.

And Lala is nothing like Pandora other than the fact that they both are about music.

Pandora = Radio
Lala = Your Library in the cloud

I dunno about that...I'm streaming someone else's playlist right now. It's 38 songs, and would easily last my commute to and from.

I can play other playlists too. So I don't see the difference between Pandora accumulating a Music Genome based playlist, or me picking a playlist that looks interesting on Lala...

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
The translation is: "Apple is just another huge, bureaucratic corporation, and our only chance for innovation lies in buying small startups. This is common business practice, and everybody else also does it."

And it isn't any different to any other company.

How do you think iTunes began? Apple didn't create iTunes, they bought Soundjam and built what people now know as iTunes on top of their software.

Even OSX was built with the technology they acquired when Apple bought NeXT OS.

estaples

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
Bingo

wow 0.10 cents to stream a track whenever and forever seems awesome, and i haven't checked LaLa out but no monthly fee as well? and it adds all your itunes songs (the ones it can find) to your Cloud library free of charge.. beyond awesome... it is like having music anywhere (sort of like MobileMe for music) that is AWESOME, hope Apple doesn't mess this up... wonder if we will see a LaLa app supporting streaming over WiFi :D

I joined the forums right now just to make this comment. :) I've been a Lala user since early 2007, so Apple's interest is very exciting to me. It really is a testament to Lala's unique business model, which I'm surprised hasn't been done by any competitors yet. It's not internet radio--there are tons of those. It's not a subscription-based service, either! It's YOUR ENTIRE DIGITAL MUSIC COLLECTION, NO MATTER WHERE IT CAME FROM (CD, online store, anywhere) IN THE CLOUD! Apple has done well to snatch up this one... As long as they don't put an end to it!

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Well, anyway, Merry Christmas to Lala's founders. Stupid name, really smart people running it. Someone will have a nice Christmas this year!

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
The next iPhone tag line.

iPhone: ∞ songs in your pocket.

(we've come a long way since 1,000. . .)

Not infinity, but millions.

Anyway, I like the tagline, but technically Apple could have used it when it launched the iTunes App for iPhone and iPod Touch.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Apple has become evil and they are buying Lala to destroy. I never use iTunes to buy music because it is expensive and have no way to listen to a whole song before buying. Apple has become an evil empire because of people like me who don't mind getting shafted by apple periodically buying their overpriced products and recommending them to everyone I know.

Yeah Apple is evil, go look up the definition of evil in the dictionary genius.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Apple has become evil and they are buying Lala to destroy. I never use iTunes to buy music because it is expensive and have no way to listen to a whole song before buying. Apple has become an evil empire because of people like me who don't mind getting shafted by apple periodically buying their overpriced products and recommending them to everyone I know.

Um, riiiiight. Apparently you weren't around in the pre-Apple days when you had to pay $15 for a CD full of filler garbage just to legally get that one good song you liked.

Evil indeed. :rolleyes:

Now why again should somebody pay to -rent- music? It's like paying for hot air in cans.

Or like water in bottles. Oh, wait... ;)

djchuckc27

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Imagine having access to all of your music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and - yes - magazines and books, anywhere, anytime. Accessible via desktop, laptop, phone, pod, AppleTV, and tablet....at home, at work, and on-the-go. From your primary residence, to your vacation getaway, and the even plane trip in-between.

I think that's what's going on here.
2010 is going to be the year of the cloud.

get your $$$$ ready!

i like the sound of that!

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Imagine having access to all of your music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and - yes - magazines and books, anywhere, anytime. Accessible via desktop, laptop, phone, pod, AppleTV, and tablet....at home, at work, and on-the-go. From your primary residence, to your vacation getaway, and the even plane trip in-between.

I think that's what's going on here.
2010 is going to be the year of the cloud.

get your $$$$ ready!

Basically streaming rich PDF's?
Interesting thought but Apple isn't really in to streaming models, they can hardly handle the current load on there servers. Imagine a streaming model with x10 or x100 the current server load. I know Apple has been investing in server capacity but this is no small feat.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
And it isn't any different to any other company.

How do you think iTunes began? Apple didn't create iTunes, they bought Soundjam and built what people now know as iTunes on top of their software.

Even OSX was built with the technology they acquired when Apple bought NeXT OS.

NeXT is an Odd case... Steve Jobs created NeXT, NeXT got sold to Apple and Steve Jobs became CEO of Apple.

So was this actually innovations on Apple's part?

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
Short form: to save perhaps $10M, MSFT designed the graphics chip in-house rather than using an outside expert – eventually resulting in the $1B+ warranty/recall charge. Oh well.

ATI designed the GPU in the 360, I believe it's faulty motherboards which cause the high failure rate of 360's known to us all (personally in my case) as the RRoD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.