Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
You seem to miss out on what important feature - Google didn't completely and utterly fail like Apple did.

Looks like you're the one that didn't do his research.

Oh bro. You're embarrassing yourself just stop it. Apple maps was rushed and a bad release yes, but do you remember what happened to android. Its first release was crap too. Look at it now. People want it more than ios. Night and day difference. Apple maps is already much better and in the coming years, it too will have a night and day difference, how? Through these acquisitions. Apple isn't equipped to handle something like Maps. Neither was Google. Which also acquired a startup that had coded maps, same with android. These companies can't do everything by themselves. Acquisition is not criminal nor a bad thing. It's how you make products better.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Apple just needs to let Apple Maps die.

The same thing could have been said about Google and Android years ago.

"Google should just let Android die since Apple makes a great phone."

Guess what ? Android is now a great OS. Let Apple put its money where it thinks best and then we will see 5 years from now.

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
That's great! I love HopStop. I live in New York City, and I use it all the time for the subway. I'm optimistic that when Apple buys a company like this, they will integrate it into their own products, instead of shutting it down like Google does to kill the competition.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1611850/

So they are just going to buy a bunch of companies and mash the data together. Worked out real well on launch, didn't it?

Apple just needs to let Apple Maps die. They are going to spend the next decade throwing away lots of money for a product that will never be as accurate as the competition.

License Google's data, eating whatever concessions they need to and put it into their own app.

Yeah, how dare Apple buy a mapping company for their data. What a crazy idea, huh?

I mean Google would never do that!

Apple maps is pretty good, actually - if you'd bothered to use it. And, no thanks, I'd rather not have Apple use Google's maps. I like to NOT have Google's greedy and evil hands in everything I do.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Yeah, how dare Apple buy a mapping company for their data. What a crazy idea, huh?

Apple maps is pretty good, actually - if you'd bothered to use it. And, no thanks, I'd rather not have Apple use Google's maps. I like to NOT have Google's greedy and evil hands in everything I do.

Apple maps is great here in my neighborhood. The only thing missing is transit.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
With these newly acquired capabilities, now Apple need to work harder and smarter with Asian data. :-D

The Locationary user reward platform will be important to get users to contribute accurate info to Maps.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
POI search on Apple Maps is awful. Just flat out unusable. For that reason, I'll be using Google Maps exclusively.

In addition, Apple's search algorithms are woefully underdeveloped.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
POI search on Apple Maps is awful. Just flat out unusable. For that reason, I'll be using Google Maps exclusively.

In addition, Apple's search algorithms are woefully underdeveloped.

In my experience, most of it is because the POI database is incomplete or not up-to-date enough.

The search routed me to the wrong place once because there was a duplicated record in the database. It picked the wrong one for me. I reckon Locationary will fix those kinds of errors.

The thing is: Once Apple fix these errors, they would have the capability to share location-based data with multiple sources accurately. Because of its open and OS integrated nature, developers will be able to do more with it.

In some cases, people use apps like Yelp (and other local variants) to find places to eat anyway. Apple Map has a neutral location-based platform to share data with these apps. Google want to do everything themselves.

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Glad to see this happen. HopStop is a great app. I just came back from NYC and HopStop was incredibly helpful and had all the times down pat. It's GPS had me off here and there sometimes (only by a block or so) but all the subway and bus info as well as the map routes were dead on.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Just downloaded the app and tried it, it's a poor version of the Transit app.

The Transit App is definitely sleeker, but HopStop has a bigger scope and likely fit Apple's vision better.

e.g., HopStop supports bike route in addition to public transports. It appears to have hooks for local business integration. The backend design will likely simplify integration with Locationary and existing Map infrastructure.

Apple can fix the HopStop UI to fit the Map UI, but backend integration may be more tricky sometimes.
They have to change the HopStop UI anyway for iOS7.

I think Apple is just going to end up buying everyone lol

I actually don't mind them investing more in Asian maps developers and platforms. Their presence in Asia is pretty weak. If they want better integration with existing Asian data and infrastructure, they may need local help there.

Either that or they find a very close and trustworthy partner, which will take a lot of time.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not really happy with this acquisition - although I know a few people over there and hope they made out well.

I would rather have seen integration with hopstop vs apple buying them. I hope Apple does kill their app for either iOS, Android or website.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Just downloaded the app and tried it, it's a poor version of the Transit app.

It's just like the Apple v. Google maps debate it really depends where you live. The transit app in Portland was pretty up until the last two or three updates where they've made city specific improvements. Just have to wait and see how it is in your area.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Not really happy with this acquisition - although I know a few people over there and hope they made out well.

I would rather have seen integration with hopstop vs apple buying them. I hope Apple does kill their app for either iOS, Android or website.

Apple may need the talent there to work on assorted Map projects.

In any case, other public transit apps may have their differentiators. e.g., Some of them show the route in simplified form instead of showing the route directly on the map.

It helps people who have trouble reading maps.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
License Google's data, eating whatever concessions they need to and put it into their own app.

Google Maps is not without its problems. Arriving at Chicago Midway last year, it Google maps put my hotel 14 miles away from where it actually was, and in a terribly unsafe neighborhood. Puzzled at the change from my recollection, I had the presence of mind to ask at the rental car place and avoided what would have been some tense moments or worse.

There have been other examples. Apple Maps, by comparison, still has a smaller database but has improved rapidly in recent months. And I like the fact that Google has that much less information about me and my movements.

Meanwhile Google Maps in a computer browser is getting worse by the moment. Check out the new version they're pushing... gone is the "search nearby" function! WTF Google.

Bottom line: Apple maps is approaching parity thanks to its improvements and also thanks to Google Maps' devolution. Licensing Google's stuff would be unwise... Apple's on the right track.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Bottom line: Apple maps is approaching parity thanks to its improvements and also thanks to Google Maps' devolution. Licensing Google's stuff would be unwise... Apple's on the right track.

Once they roll out that Locationary user reward program, I will be filing Map improvement like there is no tomorrow !

Also yeah, I have my own issues with Google Maps. Was sent to a different auditorium in Stanford University. Had to sprint to the right one 5 minutes before the show start.

It also spoiled our party by pointing us to the wrong restaurant. We had to settle for something else. That's right before Apple Map came back.

In general, I find that the paid navigation apps are better in incorporating local data (e.g., where the traffic cameras are, and more details in their maps).

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
It's just like the Apple v. Google maps debate it really depends where you live. The transit app in Portland was pretty up until the last two or three updates where they've made city specific improvements. Just have to wait and see how it is in your area.

London needs Underground station / tube information. It's missing, I was really shocked when I noticed recently. Other than that works fine for driving turn by turn in London. Personally I also love the 3D overview, works for me.
Looking forward to the developments.

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
Having to go to a 3rd party app to get transit data when you live in a city is really unacceptable and it's good to see Apple finally realized that. People are shifting away from cars and the mapping apps need to keep up with that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/u...ng-less-led-by-youth.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I think unacceptable is a pretty strong choice of words.. If it bothers you that much use Google maps or another app with integrated transit directions..

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Hopstop never really mastered their mapping software as is evident by the NYC transit APP
In Ny case lets see what they can do for Apple

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Oh bro. You're embarrassing yourself just stop it. Apple maps was rushed and a bad release yes, but do you remember what happened to android. Its first release was crap too. Look at it now. People want it more than ios. Night and day difference. Apple maps is already much better and in the coming years, it too will have a night and day difference, how? Through these acquisitions. Apple isn't equipped to handle something like Maps. Neither was Google. Which also acquired a startup that had coded maps, same with android. These companies can't do everything by themselves. Acquisition is not criminal nor a bad thing. It's how you make products better.

People were already accustomed to a superior product 'bro', Google Maps. If you replace it then at least give an equivalent product if not better.

Apparently Tim Cook would agree with me since he bent down on one knee to Google and encouraged users to use competing products.

Ha ha, Apple Maps didn't completely failed. It worked okay for most of my use cases in US. It's more bad in foreign countries.

A lot of Google projects didn't work great from day one too. Google just released them as "beta".

Just keep improving and tapping on the developers. They are Apple's best friends and problem fixers ! It is possible that Apple is already working with Locationary and HopSpot before acquiring them. After all they need to make sure the companies are a good fit. Can't wait for iOS7 and "iOS in the Car".

They hired the Amazon search engine lead 1-2 years ago. The Locationary business database will clearly enhance Siri and general location search too.

Why should I use a mapping engine that misplaced the location of entire countries and oceans in the year 2012?

Except that Google was already number 1 when they did this.

Remember that time when the Google CEO apologized for his crappy product and recommended his competitor instead?

Oh wait no, that was Apple.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
HopSpot was the best NYC maps app that I used, I'm glad to see Apple buying them. If they can replicate what HopSpot can do on a larger scale, Maps would be ...slightly more useful but not enough yet. Apple still need to go big.

Hopefully, enough time and data will help them here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.