Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of iPhoto for iOS alongside the third-generation iPad back in March, Apple began using mapping data from OpenStreetMap and others rather than Google as it has for its other map-related products thus far. Apple did, however, come under some criticism for failing to acknowledge its use of OpenStreetMap data as required by the foundation overseeing the project.

In a Tweet yesterday, OpenStreetMap noted that Apple has now included attributed in iPhoto, a change that came with the iPhoto 1.0.1 update issued on Tuesday. The attribution is included in an extensive new "Acknowledgements" page for iPhoto accessible through the Settings app.

openstreetmap_iphoto.jpg

The new acknowledgements section references a significant number of sources for mapping data, including Canada's Department of Natural Resources, Flickr Shapefiles, GeoNames, Getchee, Increment P, LeadDog, Australia's Office of Spatial Data Management, OpenStreetMap, Statistics Canada, the U.S. Census Bureau, Urban Mapping, the U.S. Geological Survey, and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.

In a statement to TPM, OpenStreetMap's Richard Fairhurst noted that it seems to have taken the efforts of an iOS developer who was also an OpenStreetMap contributor to get Apple to take action on the attribution issue.
"The OSM Foundation has made informal contact with staff at Apple and, in addition, one of our volunteer mappers who is an iOS developer spoke to people at Apple. We believe it was the latter that precipitated adding the attribution - it's great to have such an active and engaged community!
Given the large number of entities included in the new acknowledgements section, it seems likely that the delay of nearly two months in adding attribution was related to the logistics of making sure each group was credited appropriately without having to push multiple app updates to users.

Article Link: Apple Adds Attribution for OpenStreetMap and Others in iPhoto for iOS

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
As they should do.

Is there still rumours of Apple doing their own maps?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Glad to see credit is given to those who deserve it. I'm not sure if I can see Apple doing their own maps. I think it would be too much for them to update & maintain them, etc. Leave that to the map companies. :) I'm sure it's much cheaper to license the technology/maps as well rather then to start a whole service from scratch.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Given the sheer number of services in iOS and Apple apps these days, I bet there are dozens of things they didn't think of various stakeholders bring to their attention, most of which we never hear about or notice.

At least they try and deal with updates rapidly.

Rocketman

appleaddictx

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Yay?

Um? That's...really somethin' maybe on a rainy day I will look at those credits and remember THIS IS OPENSTREETMAP. Eh? Just not feelin' it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.