Apple Adds 'Happy Birthday, Mac' Section to Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In celebration of the Mac's 30th anniversary, Apple today added a new "Happy Birthday, Mac" section to the App Store. The section, which features apps and games from both Apple and third-party developers, is intended to "capture the spirit" of what makes the Mac extraordinary.
    The new Mac App Store page is divided into three separate sections: Apps Made by Apple, Unforgettable Apps, and Amazing Games. In the first section, Apple features many of its own Mac apps, including OS X Mavericks, Logic Pro X, Final Cut Pro, and its iWork and iLife suite of apps.

Unforgettable apps includes popular Mac App Store offerings like Evernote, Pixelmator, and Fantastical. There are apps from a wide range of categories like Productivity, Utilities, Graphics & Design, Photography, Reference, and more.

Apple's Amazing Games picks include some of the best selling titles in the Mac App Store, like BioShock Infinite and the recently released Tomb Raider. While the new Mac section does not offer any particular deals, it is a solid collection of high-quality apps for the Mac.

Along with the apps, Apple also includes a link to its homepage, which is currently featuring a tribute to the Mac with a visual timeline and a "Mac 30" video that looks at the Mac's past and present.

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the day Steve Jobs first introduced the Mac at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California. Along with a new Mac App Store section and a tribute on its website, Apple is celebrating the milestone with a number of interviews. Several Apple executives discussed the Mac with Macworld yesterday and Tim Cook did an interview with ABC, which will air tonight.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'Happy Birthday, Mac' Section to Mac App Store

2. leukotriene, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

macrumors regular

I find the use of the iOS font for the logo a little ironic.

Edit: I take it back, the number 3 really struck me as looking very iOS-y, but no, the ad copy Mavericks seems to use the same font.

3. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

this is indeed a celebration on Apple's part, good to know Apple really care for the mac. to another 30 years!!

4. macrumors regular

Naah, it's just "the Apple font." They're using it on the OS X page on their site too.

5. macrumors 6502a

No such section in the App Store here. Is this regional or something? :confused:

6. macrumors 6502

I don't see Lemonade Stand.

Hope it's sunny today.

7. macrumors 6502a

springsup

Big fans of Pixelmator over here. Those guys are great, and they've really been stepping up to the plate to replace Photoshop since Adobe went subscription-only.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

8. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Nice, I have the majority of the featured apps, using Hype as I type actually.

I love the Apple logo in those colors. Very cute.

9. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

Aren't you on the wrong forum?

10. macrumors regular

Vinamra

That is one kickass tribute! Great web design and a great video too! Loved it! :)

11. macrumors newbie

Hmm, I don't see it in the German store. :confused:

12. macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

We've come a long way since the 20th anniversary Mac.

Yes I am aware that came out in 1997. :)

13. macrumors 68040

petvas

Here in Germany we don't have this section. Apparently it's regional, at least for now.

14. macrumors 6502a

springsup

How so? Pixelmator was mentioned in the article (which is about a collection of Mac apps) and we're not affiliated with them in any way AFAIK.

15. macrumors 601

macduke

Too bad FCP isn't on sale. I've always wanted to try it out but end up sticking with Premiere—especially now that it's bundled with CC.

The Mac App Store has grown quite a bit from the early days, but it still doesn't hold up against the iOS App Store. I think it may be too restrictive for some desktop apps, and with a smaller install base there aren't as many options. Some of my favorite Mac App Store apps:

BetterSnapTool
    Skala Preview
    DaisyDisk
    1Password
    Pocket
    Tweetbot
    Farensius
    Mint QuickView
    FreeSpace Tab
    Gemini
    Coda 2
    Droplr
    The Unarchiver
    Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
    TextWrangler
    iWork

Some of my favorite 3rd party apps:

Bartender
    Dropbox
    Fantastical
    AirDisplay
    AirServer
    MagicPrefs
    Adobe CC
    Codekit
    ImageOptim
    xScope
    iStat
    Carbon Copy Cloner
    VirtualBox

Some of those might also be available on the Mac App Store, but I purchased them outside of that so they didn't show up in my purchased tab.

Can anyone recommend a really cool new Mac app that wasn't on my list? I haven't bought anything in a while. I'm thinking maybe a new mail client. I've been looking at Airmail, Postbox and the new Mail Pilot. I use iCloud for personal, Exchange at work, and Outlook.com for my branded freelance.

16. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

Too bad no deals. I would have loved on for Logic...

17. NY Guitarist, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

macrumors 6502a

NY Guitarist

Is the article referring to the iOS app store? I don't see a 'Mac' section in the US App Store either.

Nevermind.... I found it. It's only a banner that presents some apps that Apple thinks highlights Apple devices.

Also the categories on my App Store are named a little differently than as stated in the article.

'Apps Made by Apple'

'Amazing Apps'

'Great Games'