Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Anyone noticed that the UK store now says 'includes £XX VAT, duty and levies'? Don't remember seeing that before?

Are they trying to justify their price hikes? iPod touch now £189, Apple TV $99 = £99? I know the pound has weakened against dollar (although it has gone past the 'trough' now) but right now $99 = £64, so surely £75-85 would make sense?

Impressed with the updates in general. New iPods look great! Apple TV improved a bit, but still some way off being what it could be. Only major issue is how ugly the new iTunes icon is!

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I'm offended by the UK Apple TV prices - although do remember the USA don't have their TAX included! However, seen as the Shuffle is 10 numbers less, I don't think it would be unreasonable to have it cheaper!

I mean, a 99 cent app = 59p, a 99 cent song = 79p, should that mean that a $99 TV thing = £79-89?

barns

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
The shuffle being only £39 is pretty great though.

I quite like the whole 'Includes £6 VAT, duty and levies' thing, good to know why it isn't cheaper.

urbanmacUser

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
US prices are PLUS local state Tax

UK prices INCLUDES VAT

Yes it still more expensive in the UK but its not that much more.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Unrelated but as to the iTunes icon, I think it's more of an iPhone-style icon rather than a desktop style. But there are many alternatives out there that you can use for free, and work pretty easily. It involves the 'Get Info' window and it's really simple.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
I think everyone on MacRumors is aware that US prices are without tax by now! But US sales tax adds maybe 5-10%? And I understand there are ways around it? So doesn't really justify parity between dollar and sterling on apple TV.

Besides, apple should realise that they are pushing prices up at an alarming rate here, especially given in the past 12 months dollar to sterling has been pretty consistent. I love my MacBook, and I love most of apple's current products, but if prices keep going up is the 'mac premium' going to be worth it? Especially as my student days will come to an end one day!

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Unrelated but as to the iTunes icon, I think it's more of an iPhone-style icon rather than a desktop style. But there are many alternatives out there that you can use for free, and work pretty easily. It involves the 'Get Info' window and it's really simple.

Thanks, I was planning on changing it. Just wondered if anyone agreed that it is horrible!

Hope they don't change the iTunes icon on iPhone. I like the synergy between iTunes and app store. I think they should extend that theme.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
US prices are PLUS local state Tax

UK prices INCLUDES VAT

Yes it still more expensive in the UK but its not that much more.

$99 is £64 all without any sales tax
if you add UK VAT at 17.5% then it should only be £75
if you add 20% VAT (which is what it will be soon) it is only £77

so whichever way you cut it the £99 apple is asking is a very dry pill to swallow. (that is at least 4 HD film rentals)

I can only imagine that the effect is the same on the new ipod aswell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.