Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
yes, it is done with CleverTap. With the right SDK you can track basically anything everyone does in an App so as long as Apple does not really block 3rd party SDKs within Apps, their whole privacy speech does not mean anything.

Here is an example of myself using our app. The SDK from CleverTap basically lets me see anything a user does as long as I know the user ID

View attachment 2322020
But, let me ask you a question: do you have any mean to link that user ID (I guess it’s just a number) to their real identity?

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
because you’re correct, depending on how the dev has…well, developed the app! (see below)

this is clown sh** on Apple’s part. kinda surprised nobody is more bluntly addressing that. anyone catch the article on DF noting how Google requires a court order for push notifications—i.e., a judge has to find it reasonable—where Apple requires only a subpoena?

because privacy!
Some apps I have cellular data turned off to stop the ads and I don't have home WiFi but I bet these silent push can't be disabled because that's under system cellular data. Am I right?

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
dont use phone or a computer

cant escape internet surveillance no matter how hard people try

only pros of this situation, this kind of surveillance can only be used on a fraction of users before becoming public so it only makes sense to use them in handful of cases (ie. terrorism/national security stuff).

It’s a delicate balance. We absolutely want the government to catch the horrible people they are legitimately going after the vast majority of the time. We just don’t want to get caught in the crosshairs.

Thank god for Ron Wyden. We need more like him. This stuff needs some oversight by people who actually have the public’s interest at heart. Even well meaning people can get tunnel vision about things.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
yes, it is done with CleverTap. With the right SDK you can track basically anything everyone does in an App so as long as Apple does not really block 3rd party SDKs within Apps, their whole privacy speech does not mean anything.

Here is an example of myself using our app. The SDK from CleverTap basically lets me see anything a user does as long as I know the user ID

View attachment 2322020
But why do you say that this is on Apple. My understanding is that it is the responsibilities of the developers to decide if they use 3rd party libraries that allow tracking of users. And in this case it is only information on your app usage. Am I to understand that you want them to ban 3rd party libraries?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It’s a delicate balance. We absolutely want the government to catch the horrible people they are legitimately going after the vast majority of the time. We just don’t want to get caught in the crosshairs.
Agreed, but there are checks and balances in place. The people working for the government are very aware, even where people keep their profiles open as a government law enforcement representative, one can't just keep looking at them. Let alone when they closed.

It is easy to get overly concerned about this, but this isn't about carte blanche sending all notifications to some big database for everyone. Just need to have a good working and clear process in place for when it is necessary.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
But why do you say that this is on Apple. My understanding is that it is the responsibilities of the developers to decide if they use 3rd party libraries that allow tracking of users. And in this case it is only information on your app usage. Am I to understand that you want them to ban 3rd party libraries?

Opt in Only if it was up to me. I (or the government) could do profiling once you have access to the analytics tools

Reactions: Mega ST

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Doesn’t necessarily mean, that it’s not being sent, just that it is not being shown. We use a tool for example, which tracks if an app is still installed by sending a „silent“ push every night and if it bounces back, the tool knows, that the app has been uninstalled on device XY
You can send as many push notifications — including silent push notifications — as you’d like, but if the user doesn’t have notifications enabled for your app, they will not be delivered. (In addition, even if a silent push notification is delivered, it’s not guaranteed that iOS will actually execute the app code to handle said silent push.)

Reactions: Agilis and cyanite

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009

Thank god for Ron Wyden. We need more like him. This stuff needs some oversight by people who actually have the public’s interest at heart. Even well meaning people can get tunnel vision about things.
Very true, but that is why we can't just leave it to "well meaning" people. We must stand on principles and the rights enshrined in the Constitution. The idea that we can just find the right people and everything will be on the up an up is forgetting the fact that humans are inherently flawed. We have to accept that horrible people might get away so that the other 95% can live free of tyranny.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Is the US classified as unsafe for our data? Is it really? Would you like to reconsider in light of the EU-US Data Privacy Framework and the GDPR Adequacy Decision?

PS. You do realize that a normal process is required to get this data. ;) It's not like Trump or Biden can just say give me contacos push notifications. Very similar to how the EU, and UK, and any other civilized country operates.

The US was certainly considered unsafe for data storage prior to 2016. An accord called "Safe Harbour" was in effect that put obligations on US data processors to adequately protect user's data, but this was found to be lacking in 2015. I recall a big panic in our UK company to get cloud data off US servers.

Safe Harbour was replaced by "Privacy Shield" in 2016. Which Trump scrapped in 2017, because he only cares about the data of Americans. Biden scrapped Trump's directive in 2021.

It all has such a rag-bag history, I'm not sure what the current state of play is.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Doesn’t necessarily mean, that it’s not being sent, just that it is not being shown. We use a tool for example, which tracks if an app is still installed by sending a „silent“ push every night and if it bounces back, the tool knows, that the app has been uninstalled on device XY
So as a resident of the EU (as you state in your first reply) you are ok with this type of “spying”? Wow, wow, all I can say

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Bug brother has to have its nose in everything and now Apple opened the door for this hopefully there is a way to opt out of this.
More like a step parent butting into your business because well.. they can for as long as they can ..

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Apparently Google has stricter safety for users on this? Because they require a court order and Apple only requires a subpoena? That's a HUGE problem

• Disagree
Reactions: Agilis and iLuddite

View attachment 2322020
I understand you can see what the user does within the app, but that is where it stops correct? The app can't target the user's location without direct permissions. The app can't access the microphone without the user's direct permission. The app can't intercept other apps communications.

From an app developer standpoint I understand wanting to see user interactions to make the app better, etc... but how does knowing has an app or opened it really give anyone much information?

Am I missing the problem? Does this somehow expose some piece of private information tangentially?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
Certainly not too much of a fan of this. I'd still rather have governments "spy" on me rather than private companies that may be hacked or lose or sell your data. This can of course also happen to governments and it has already in the past because their infrastructure s*cks and they often can't (or don't have the resources to) pull the technical personnel and expertise.

In addition, it's more "rational" as a government to govern a state with more data, it will be more stable and more secure, but only if you don't have psychopaths in office, which is sadly often the case. We never know how this power may be abused in the future. Just imagine internet would have existed while Hitler lived.

Maybe superior things would have been possible. With AI, this will be even more so. Just think about technology that already exists and that 1) can read your mind or what you're seeing, through brain signal alone, 2) tell if you're homosexual with the help of only a photo of you (maybe you didn't even know you were, and hopefully you don't live where they're being stoned for this), 3) can predict your personality traits by the means of facial traits, including characteristics you didn't even know you had (meaning someone could know you better then yourself and that could also mean more power asymmetry in society, it could mean that we can identify potentially criminal people for example). All of this technology already exists.

So there is a lot of risks, but a lot of potential too, not just again terrorism etc., but also to manage societies and the global population (diseases, agriculture and global nutrition, transport, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: MacHeritage

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Very true, but that is why we can't just leave it to "well meaning" people. We must stand on principles and the rights enshrined in the Constitution. The idea that we can just find the right people and everything will be on the up an up is forgetting the fact that humans are inherently flawed. We have to accept that horrible people might get away so that the other 95% can live free of tyranny.
Lol. The naivete. The horrible people are ones DOING this and lying to your face that’s it for your own protection. You should be 1000 times more concerned about these tyrants than the “horrible people” they protect you from

Reactions: MacHeritage

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Certainly not too much of a fan of this. I'd still rather have governments "spy" on me rather than private companies that may be hacked or lose or sell your data. This can of course also happen to governments and it has already in the past because their infrastructure s*cks and they often can't (or don't have the resources to) pull the technical personnel and expertise.

In addition, it's more "rational" as a government to govern a state with more data, it will be more stable and more secure, but only if you don't have psychopaths in office, which is sadly often the case. We never know how this power may be abused in the future. Just imagine internet would have existed while Hitler lived.

Maybe superior things would have been possible. With AI, this will be even more so. Just think about technology that already exists and that 1) read your mind, 2) tell if you're homosexual with the help of only a photo of you (maybe you didn't even know you were, and hopefully you don't like where they're being stoned for this), 3) can predict your personality traits by the means of facial traits, including characteristics you didn't even know you had (meaning someone could know you better then yourself and that could also mean more power asymmetry in society). All of this technology already exists.

So there is a lot of risks, but a lot of potential too, not just again terrorism etc., but also to manage societies and the global population (diseases, agriculture and global nutrition, transport, etc.).
Why would you rather have a government spy on you that can ruin your life in an instant vs. a company show you an ad? I can’t believe people don’t think these things through

Reactions: gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.