Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
I'd love for this to be an Alexa/Google home device. I'd absolutely get on board for a Bluetooth wireless speaker of this calibre, provided Siri gets a pretty major upgrade in its capabilities.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
And as far as innovation, Apple is spending over $11 billion dollars a year on Research and Development of new products. If you think that's all going into emojis and dongles you are in for a pleasant surprise this year when you see some of the exciting new things coming out of the pipeline. Stay tuned:)

Hi Tim. (Wow! It's Tim!) I'm still not convinced, mate but I am impressed that you personally read these forums and contribute too! Respect! :D

Reactions: truthertech
Long distance charger was my first thought, but such a thing would use a lot more power. So now I think it is an Alexa type of device, which I think would be cool.

Yeah, but we have Alexa on iPhones, iPads, Watches, and built within MacOS available now. So why would we need another device to do what our computers & accessories can already do?

Reactions: iPadCary

Evinyatar_

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2017
The picture mentions RS485 which is a two-wire serial bus communication system. I'm going to guess this has something to do with HomeKit, possibly a bridge for existing setups (although RS485 is not very common in home automation afaik), or a new system altogether that they're going to try to push on the market. The 13.56MHz band in the filing is used for NFC, which could be used for initial device pairing.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Hi Tim. (Wow! It's Tim!) I'm still not convinced, mate but I am impressed that you personally read these forums and contribute too! Respect! :D
Pay me $1billion dollars and I will save them some money:

1. make the iPad bigger
2. make the iPad even bigger
3. make the iPhone bigger
4. make the iPhone even bigger
5. make the iPhone smaller
6. make the Apple Watch S1 like S0
7. make the Apple Watch S2 like S0 and S1
8. submit some random device to the FCC
9. repeat 1-9 again

Seriously though they should add healthkit to iPad and release a fitness band (poor fitbit).

iBitFit!

kdarling

macrumors P6
I really do think that it's a card swipe reader for unlocking doors via either card, iPhone NFC or maybe BT. Probably for the new Apple HQ.

The FCC test diagram even references that the EUT (Equipment Under Test) has a "Door SKU":

apple-mystery-device.png

It also mentions testing NFC in portrait, landscape and flat orientations, which could correspond to mounting it differently on walls or tables.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Realize that even a AAA battery has a power capacity of at least 800 mA - 1200 mA so this is NOT a home automation point or speaker setup like Echo or Google Home. This thing is powered by something smaller then a AAA battery, don't get your hopes up for anything more then a wireless information or transaction point in the Apple Stores or something else mundane.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Realize that even a AAA battery has a power capacity of at least 800 mA - 1200 mA so this is NOT a home automation point or speaker setup like Echo or Google Home. This thing is powered by something smaller then a AAA battery, don't get your hopes up for anything more then a wireless information or transaction point in the Apple Stores or something else mundane.
a fitness tracker! :)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I really do think that it's a card swipe reader for unlocking doors via either card, iPhone NFC or maybe BT. Probably for the new Apple HQ.

The FCC test diagram even references that the EUT (Equipment Under Test) has a "Door SKU":

View attachment 685246

It also mentions testing NFC in portrait, landscape and flat orientations, which could correspond to mounting it differently on walls or tables.

That's the first real evidence I've seen to indicate what it could be, and now I definitely do lean towards this being access control related. Also then confirms the D1/D0 markings being related to weigand or clock-data. I was just so skeptical of claiming it was access control solely off of that marking because why the hell would Apple be making its own access control hardware?

EDIT: interestingly enough, the first model number had that reference to the door sku in the NFC test, but the second model number testing has no reference to the door sku. Could be two discrete devices.

If this is really access control, I really wonder why Apple is doing this themselves? not like there aren't any other access control manufacturers out there...

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
EDIT: interestingly enough, the first model number had that reference to the door sku in the NFC test, but the second model number testing has no reference to the door sku. Could be two discrete devices.

Perhaps Apple noticed and wanted it gone :)

If this is really access control, I really wonder why Apple is doing this themselves? not like there aren't any other access control manufacturers out there...

For real security, you'd have to be able to control manufacturing and coding yourself.

Example: a few years back a Russian gang intercepted hundreds of chip & PIN terminals that were being shipped between the factory and their UK merchant suppliers. They added a secret internal WiFi board that transmitted all the account numbers and PINs back to their own server.

They were able to steal tons of money in the UK, while banks refused for a long time to believe that customers had not lost or given away their PIN. After a year or two the scheme was discovered. The only way to tell the difference from the outside was to weigh each one (the modified units were very slightly heavier), and that's exactly what they did at merchants who had received shipments of that model POS terminal.

Last edited:

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Mine too. As apple has become the ultimate "Me Too" company that is bereft of any serious innovation or category leadership.

I don't buy that at all. Who is innovating? We are in period of small, incremental progress in terms of new features, functionality and hardware. I am doing much of what Alexa does using Siri, which is everywhere in my house: iPhone, iPad, Mac and Watch. "Siri, add peanut butter to my shopping list." "Siri, multiply 18 by 156." "Siri, mind me a recipe for Chicken Divan".
Apple has always been aware of what others are doing and frequently enter into an area after observing and designing their own take of a product etc.
Let me think: Apple was the first to introduce the smartphone as we know it today (touch screen, multi-gesture, broad functionality). Apple was the first the successfully market a useable tablet. Sure, it's old news but what innovation has Microsoft, Google, or Samsung done that have shaped or created an entire product category?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I expect it's a doll-sized model of Tim Cook, with built-in Siri to answer your questions:
"When's the new iMac coming out?"
"We’ve got great innovation in the pipeline"

"Why do you put MLK on your homepage when you are responsible for child slave labor in mines in the Congo?"
"We’ve got great innovation in the pipeline"

Apple is not responsible for the mines in the Congo. Theu we're doing that long before Apple even thought about going into business...

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
I was poking around just based off your comment, it seems there may be?

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073995480&sequence=1

Or I could be searching wrong too :p

Says right there:
Investigated to UL 873
Line voltage thermostats

I know there's UL listings for line voltage (120-240 V) but I was referring to low voltage units (24 VAC, 0-10V, 4-20 mA) for comfort applications. (I'm sure there's UL or FM or whatever if you were using it in an oil refinery)

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
According to Steve Jobs' friend, Walt Mossberg, it was announced in January for the reason I said. So I wonder who is right.

you said they filed before they announced. they didn't. they announced the iPhone and then they filed the FCC application which was approved months later.
and you said they need approval before Apple can announce. they didn't need approval before they can announce. Apple announced the iPhone, then it was filed, then it was approved.
[doublepost=1485288526][/doublepost]
Jobs said a lot of things that were not exactly true. As I noted, it was no surprise to anyone that there was an iPhone. Plus he could've still waited months longer to reveal it if the FCC was actually an issue.

But it wasn't, since even after approval all the important unknown stuff like its UI and even its front display would've stayed hidden.

well they didn't. even the act of filing can increase the odds of leaking. the act of filing gets more people involved into the project.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

An AAA battery has a capacity of 1200 mAh... milliamp-hours. 1.5 volts * 1.2 Ah = 1.8 watt hours. This thing draws 100 mA at, minimum 5.5 V = 0.55 W. It would eat one AAA in 3.3 hours. It requires a lot more power than disposable batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.