Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Here's what you need to know about Glass: You look like an idiot wearing them. And if you come anywhere near me, you will take them off. Or I will take them off. :D

i saw a guy wearing some today at the deli.. dunno, he just looked like some dude wearing something on his head.. 'idiot' would be real low on the list of words i'd use to describe him.. a lot further down then words like normal or average or ordinary

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
The user experience is the same. nothing new you are bringing to users.
Its essentially a phone strapped to your hand.

but that is a new experience and brings in options for new user capability.

While Glass provides an endless amount of new user experience

well, not really.. it (it meaning what i imagine the first few years of the technology being).. it brings in the same new experience as the watch which is placing the viewing screen in a new area.. granted, the glasses will provide more of a hands free experience but that not saying a watch wouldn't be a hands free experience- because it would be..

the glasses will be awesome and revolutionary once the ability to superimpose graphics over our own vision is realized.. maybe via contact lenses? or some sort of hologram? (because as they are now, you have to look away from whatever it is youre looking at in order to get the info.. as in, you couldn't safely drive down a dark highway with your headlights off using Glass.. you could if the road were being outlined for you..

not that that^ is the wisest of example (maybe a pilot on a stormy night would be better?).. just saying tho.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I am hoping all this "smart watch" stuff is a red herring to waste the time of the copycat companies (and YOU KNOW who you are...). I mean who wears a watch anymore? And what could a watch do that a phone or pad couldn't?

If this path is indeed being followed, well...best of luck Apple.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

wearable computers aren't the end of that path.. walk a little further and the computers will go inside the body..

i'm pretty sure that type of stuff has been well examined by apple (and not just apple- lots of tech companies) and one of the biggest roadblocks would be along the lines of too many people thinking it's taboo or antigod or whatever.. so the wearable computers are baby steps both in terms of fine tuning the technology as well as acceptance by the masses..

but don't kid yourself.. computers will go in our bodies eventually

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Glass is set to be released late 2013.

I don't understand how you can hate on a piece of tech that if the company you love came out with it, we wouldn't hear the end of it from u.

My gosh, you people are too much for me. I'm done.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really see myself wearing "Smart Glasses", regardless of what company makes them.

In 20 years or so when they're a common thing and look just like a normal pair of stylish glasses? Of course.

For now though, I'll stay away from the 2001 sports goggle things that are currently offered.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The "Smartwatch" projects being developed by many OEM's besides Apple will be interesting to follow. How Apple chooses to hype theirs will be even more compelling, since Apple's never hesitant to make outlandish claims.

Part fashion and fad, only time will tell if consumers buy into these devices over the long haul. I'm already as "connected" as I want to be, no matter what these feature, I'll pass and enjoy observing.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Forgive me for being the only one who used his brain to analyze the obvious user limitation of a Watch.

If you'd actually used your brain or had the knowledge to analyze something like this...why did you miss every function of a fitness tracker including heart rate and sleep logger?

----------

ignorance is bliss. Nike FuelBand or Garmin Forerunner does not have "biosensors". You are so clueless you don't even know what 'biosensor' is. I doubt you know what 'bio' means because you wont use it in your post. That right there should me the end of my post. but I digress.

There are not many things a small device strapped to a wrist can do that a phone cannot. (Plus you listed one). A phone can do all those things you just mentioned; which is to track your distance, calculate calories burned, steps taken. All of that are software features, there is no "biosensors".

lol

You are hilarious tell me to take a step back seeing I'm a windows phone 8, android and Iphone developer and what qualifies you? oh yeah you are just a fan. lmfao.

Glass is miles ahead of any smartWatch technology or concept. If anyone can't see it, its because of their fanboism. If the shoe was switched and it was apple who came up with Glass, you won't be saying the garbage you spewing now.

so please save it.

It's going to be quite a stretch to put a watch on my wrist - you think I'd actually wear specialized tech glasses made by anyone at all? I won't even be seen in public with a Bluetooth earpiece. Google Glass reminds me of a pocket protector.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Glass is set to be released late 2013.

I don't understand how you can hate on a piece of tech that if the company you love came out with it, we wouldn't hear the end of it from u.

My gosh, you people are too much for me. I'm done.

I bet good money it doesn't launch this year.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Even as a kid I hated wearing them. Unless this iWatch could make me beam myself all over the world I just can't see what it could offer. I certainly don't want to surf around on a tiny screen.

The only watch I would ever wear would be a Patek Philippe if I could afford one, and that wouldn't be to tell the time.

Anyone wearing one of these Apple iWatches would come across to me as either a young nerd, someone who just buys technology for the sake of it because they want to follow the rest of the sheep without understanding why, or a complete moron. Certainly not cool.

Now Google's glasses sound amazing and scary at the same time. These glasses could revolutionise the way we live. And I really hate Google.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I am hoping all this "smart watch" stuff is a red herring to waste the time of the copycat companies (and YOU KNOW who you are...). I mean who wears a watch anymore? And what could a watch do that a phone or pad couldn't?

I don't think Apple would waste their time on something that they don't see as desirable or profitable.

As others have pointed out, an i-device strapped to your wrist doesn't seem necessarily jaw-dropping but then, neither did an MP3 player. I suspect that the lead time to market is a reflection of Apple's R&D creative team and engineers attempting to develop something that goes beyond the surface of an iOS watch.
What could it be? I don't know and neither do any of the others on this board.

Apple tends to resist ideas/products that they think are frivolous or unnecessary like netbooks.

I would contrast that to someone like Microsoft, who still think people really want tablets running Windows. People use windows and a desktop at work. When they are away from work they want something that is simple to use, is personal, helpful and fun.

I think Apple will be okay.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Glass defies millions of years of primate evolution.

Of particular interest, eye gaze directions is impaired by Glass, so social interaction is impaired. Hence the derived term, "Gl*******s"
You do realize that you are trying to explain this to a person (Bladers) that proves to be not a particular hero in social interaction? :) :)

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
The iWatch is a smokescreen, it's Blue Harvest baby!
The iWatch is the Appletv, Apple couldn't get the name iTV a s they're not going to call it Appletv because that line will continue to sell, but iWatch is the first Apple TV with display.
Apple is not interested in watches.

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Tim Cook is too busy wasting his time doing nothing but defending iPhone's screen size.

Let's face it, Tim Cook is not CEO material -- certainly not for a company like Apple.

No matter how you slice and dice it, he just does not cut it as Apple CEO. What innovative product has he launched?

By the time 2014 comes around, we would be lucky if Apple is still in business.

Apple's Board of Directors needs to be decisive and replace Tim Cook with someone who actually has vision and charisma.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
100 designers and millions $ in R&D later:

Hey Johnny, can you swim with your new iWatch?
Nop, not water proof.
Can you bring it on our next mountaing bike ride?
Nop, don't want to risk banging the glass.
So Johnny what time is it?
Sorry it's dead, I didn't charge it this morning.

Tommy Wasabi

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2003
Chicago
Maybe something simple...

Maybe apple has the wearable much closer than we realize. Maybe since they hired a new boss to run the division HE is hiring people to fill in the missing gaps.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I've given up hope on this one..

I don't care if Apple tries as hard as possible, its not gonna happen by 2014....

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe apple has the wearable much closer than we realize. Maybe since they hired a new boss to run the division HE is hiring people to fill in the missing gaps.

What new division would this be? Since Apple is organized by function I don't see this new hire running a wearables division. That would be odd.

----------

Tim Cook is too busy wasting his time doing nothing but defending iPhone's screen size.

Let's face it, Tim Cook is not CEO material -- certainly not for a company like Apple.

No matter how you slice and dice it, he just does not cut it as Apple CEO. What innovative product has he launched?

Apple's Board of Directors needs to be decisive and replace Tim Cook with someone who actually has vision and charisma.
How do you explain then that the only direct reports of Cook's who have left were fired. Who would want to stay on a sinking ship?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The iPad was something new in a relatively untested market. Other than the Apple Newton, and the existing portable laptop tablet conversions for business, there no slate type devices on the market like the iPad. There were eBook readers, but those were mainly in black and white. The same goes for personal computing. It was a new business.

The iWatch is entering a fairly well established market place. Everyone knows what a watch is, and because of mobile phones, people are wearing watches less and less. Unless you really need one, like nurses taking vital signs (which they automate now), it becomes a status symbol. Frankly, it's a niche market, and the iWatch will likely be a niche within the niche.

Well that is a little like saying who needs a computer when we have typewriters?

I'm personally quite skeptical as to the success of anything like an iWatch but I won't put it down just yet.

I always thought having something like a Pipboy from Fallout would be quite cool though.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland

Clearly your understanding of large companies trends surpasses us all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 70

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
100 designers and millions $ in R&D later:

Hey Johnny, can you swim with your new iWatch?
Nop, not water proof.
Can you bring it on our next mountaing bike ride?
Nop, don't want to risk banging the glass.
So Johnny what time is it?
Sorry it's dead, I didn't charge it this morning.

Yep on the first two (especially the glass! yep, I broke my iPhone 5), but you have to admit Apple's been great about making sure battery life is awesome on all of their devices, even if it means being a little behind on features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.