Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
The most stupid thing ever! I love my OWN music, it took years to build my collection:(
I hate Apple Music or any streaming service. I don't want to became a lemming and being told what to listen to or have to look for some music every time :mad:

Apple allegedly has an aggressive plan to "terminate" music downloads from iTunes within two years, reports Digital Music News citing sources with "close and active business relationships" with Apple.
Article Link: Apple Aiming to End iTunes Music Downloads in Two Years

Reactions: aliensporebomb

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This oddly makes sense. With the revival of vinyl:) and a free download of the album, we are seeing a departure from the "pure download" market. Eventually, MP3 downloads will be ubiquitous where you can manager your own playlist from any source or go streaming download what you are hearing for a small fee.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Only the classic (already dead, but some "walkers" still around -- I have two), and the nano. The Touch is an iOS device, and can stream with wifi...but you are right, it's so limiting.

Buy the music from Amazon and drag into iTunes.

Eh, while it has the name, I don't consider iPod Touch (at least post-generation 1) an iPod - if that makes sense.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Exactly what TC told the ever breathless Apple family -

" We are going to give you things you can't live without that you just don't know you need today."

Apple Music is something we all can live without.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
How to get people to torrent stuff: step 1.

Seriously, I'd like to OWN the music I pay for. I don't own anything with streaming.

Reactions: !!!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does anyone really think iTunes is keeping people from subscribing to Apple Music? I doubt it. The people that want to own music won't sign up for Apple Music, they'll just go elsewhere.

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
I don't buy this rumor. Why on earth would Apple do this... it simply doesn't make any sense.
It actually does make sense for Apple. $600 million total sales for 2016 is very very low. Lets speculate and say Apple's profit from this $600 million revenue is about $100 million. Then they have to pay lots of people to keep the service going, then servers to hold that music library, and god know what else. Not worth it to them to keep it anymore.

It definitely does suck for those who bought music on itunes.

Reactions: Wahlstrm

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
Last post, as I think this is a nonsense rumors article.
It actually does make sense for Apple. $600 million total sales for 2016 is very very low. Lets speculate and say Apple's profit from this $600 million revenue is about $100 million. Then they have to pay lots of people to keep the service going, then servers to hold that music library, and god know what else. Not worth it to them to keep it anymore.

So they are making massive revenue with Apple Music? I doubt that as well.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
This is because streaming is cheaper for Apple. Less overhead, they don't have to store the product. How can we get people to spend more...kill off iTunes now people can just use us to stream.

ding! ding! ding!
We got a winner!

That's how I see it too. It's obvious why they are doing it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Is Tim taking cues from Adobe now?

I think this is a mistake. I enjoy streaming music. However, I like to physically own (some) music that never ever is reliant on cloud services. So this will either mean a rise in CD purchases (or next gen recording media) or a push for people to move over to Amazon to buy their music (assuming Amazon doesn't follow suit). Not everyone wants to rent their music. Especially because if something happens to that service, or the rights agreement - something that was "paid for" gets taken away.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I mean...I'd be cool with buying the music and it being in the cloud only on my Mac. But when I am traveling and I don't want to use up my data plan or can't access wi-fi...I'd want physical files of the songs on my iDevice. Like I get it. People have A LOT of music. My whole library would fill two iDevices. I'll probably just go back to buying physical copies of CD's again, I guess. But this was predicted by some artists a decade ago. They want people to pay that full mark-up on even each song so they get their full royalty cut.

Too long didn't read; Don't do it, Apple. Sure as heck ain't paying you a subscription fee. Should've kept Apple Music free. It probably gave people awareness of songs and new artists that LEAD TO PURCHASES.

JayJamesWaller

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Swansea, Wales

This figure wasn't for 2016, it was only a prediction from some randomer about what it might be in 2019. Calling BS on it too...

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I enjoy having my own library as well.

I think the goal for all the agencies is to get people to pay for media as a service. Good luck with that. I will never consider adding another bill that I can never pay off completely.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
The only subscription fee I paid is $.99 a month to iCloud and three dollars a month to a VPN. I absolutely refuse to pay for any more subscriptions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.